Promotions running shows in London

Maikeru

I'm trying to get together a fully comprehensive list of promotions running shows in London (by this I mean within the 32 Greater London boroughs but not including the 'proper' home counties).

It still amazes me that although it gets more shows in the UK overall than any other city (which one would expect due to the size), there are still so many promotions that don't run anything here. They are almost always guaranteed a decent turnout with one or two big names, even if venue costs can be a little steep.

If I'm missing any or if anyone can help correct/fill in the question marks below that would be great. I've categorised by approximate size of fan base:

Tier 1 - International promotions with enormous fan bases:
WWE - 4 shows a year (Raw/SD in April/May and house shows in September and November)

Tier 2 - UK independents with large fan bases:
PROGRESS WRESTLING - Approx. 18 shows a year (including main shows in Camden and ENDVR/PTNTL) shows in Highbury)
Revolution Pro Wrestling - Approx. 10 shows a year (in Bethnal Green and Marylebone)

Tier 3 - UK independents with moderate fan bases catering mainly to one demographic (e.g. kids):
All Star Wrestling- Approx. 8 shows a year (all in Croydon and Hayes)
LDN Wrestling - Maybe 6? shows per year (hard to know as no list of past events online; mainly suburban areas e.g. Romford and Kingston)

Tier 4 - UK independents with small to moderate, localised fan bases:
Lucha Britannia - Approx. 12 shows a year (all in Bethnal Green)
Future Pro Wrestling - Approx. 6 shows a year (all in Sutton)
British Empire Wrestling - Approx. 6 shows a year (all in Mitcham and Tooting; ran first joint show with Stardom in May 2016)

Tier 5 - Essentially wrestling schools promoting shows with own talent:
BECW - Approx. 6 shows a year in Croydon and Wallington

Untiered (due to infrequency of shows in London):
TNA - International promotion but only 1 show a year (Impact! taping in January/February; Wembley Arena)
ICW - UK independent with large fan base but run only 1 one show a year (usually Garage in Highbury)
Chikara - Popular US independent, runs 1 show in London per year
Global Force Wrestling - Moderately popular US independent that ran London (Dalston) for the first time in March 2016

IPW-UK - Mainly Kent-based promotion but runs a couple of shows in Selsdon (Croydon borough) per year
Wrestleforce - Harlow-based promotion that ran 4 shows in London in 2015, 3 in 2014 and 1 so far in 2016 but with no more scheduled atm
Pro Wrestling: Eve - Mainly Suffolk-based promotion but has run 2 shows in Hackney in early 2016 (never ran London previously)
NWA Fight! Nation - Runs approx. 1 show per year in Islington
Lucha Libre London - Usually one show per year or less, ran Albert Hall for first time in July 2015)
Megaslam Wrestling - South Yorkshire-based family-friendly promotion running Croydon in June this year for first time

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Lucha Britannia, running monthly in Bethnal Green, would be a Tier 4/5 entry.

EDIT: as well as the return of Lucha Future this year, that you've got listed, there's also Lucha Libre World coming this July too. Yes, 2 different touring lucha groups running London AT THE SAME TIME.

• Paid Members

As mentioned by Ben, Lucha Britannia do monthly sellouts at the 200-capacity Resistance Gallery in Bethnal Green, and also run occasional London School of Lucha Libre training shows at the same venue.

Fight Nation just held their first card in Islington and have run shows in Romford.

• Paid Members

The suspiciously named Climax wrestling have run 2 shows in Wanstead this year. As i didn't attend either, I'm not sure of attendance. Probably tier 4.

As mentioned by Ben, Lucha Britannia do monthly sellouts at the 200-capacity Resistance Gallery in Bethnal Green, and also run occasional London School of Lucha Libre training shows at the same venue.

Fight Nation just held their first card in Islington and have run shows in Romford.

Don't think the Romford part is accurate.  Islington replaced Romford for the first show.

Thanks for all of those; that's helped me fill in a lot of gaps. 

I'd seen flyers for Lucha Britannia but is it proper wrestling in the traditional sense (or are they primarily entertainers who've learned some moves)? Don't mean to be ignorant but as I've never seen it, I'm just curious. Who are their roster exactly? I'm just always a bit suspicious when even Cagematch.net doesn't cover a promotion......

Likewise with BECW in New Malden - got the impression this was essentially a kind of (for want of a better term) 'backyarders group' but please correct me if I'm wrong? 

• Paid Members

Lucha Britannia mixes wrestling and cabaret but the wrestling is bona fide. They mix established talent like Greg Burridge, Will Ospreay, Paul Robinson & Jimmy Havoc (under masks) with trainees from their school.

• Paid Members

Lucha Britannia mixes wrestling and cabaret but the wrestling is bona fide. They mix established talent like Greg Burridge, Will Ospreay, Paul Robinson & Jimmy Havoc (under masks) with trainees from their school.

Terry Frazier, Phil Bedwell, Stixx, eXodus and more have featured too. It's definitely a legit enterprise.

We had a show in May as well, it wasn't announced on UKFF but it definitely happened :D A fourth is scheduled for November.

Oh right sorry I could only see the March one on your website. Can I ask what's your average attendance? In my own tiering system I've taken the liberty of developing here I would consider a promotion drawing at least 200 - 300 per show as Tier 4. :-) 

Archived