Today I learned...

• Paid Members

BAME - which can be and often is pronounced as a word - is used in the same way as LGBTQ+. You'd never describe an individual as LGTBQ+ but you'd refer to the "community" or an officer/spokesman of such in a political party. Individuals are black, or Asian, unless they tell you otherwise, in which case you use what they ask you to use.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TIL that people stuck in their ways, can still surprise you. My dad is a good bloke, and comfortable with his life. A big old North Yorkshire man and creature of comfort, who doesn’t wish harm on

.....that my wife and I are expecting our first child. We are over the moon!

Who upset the honkey? 

Posted Images

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Linus said:

BAME - which can be and often is pronounced as a word - is used in the same way as LGBTQ+. You'd never describe an individual as LGTBQ+ but you'd refer to the "community" or an officer/spokesman of such in a political party. Individuals are black, or Asian, unless they tell you otherwise, in which case you use what they ask you to use.

Really? Can't say I've ever heard it said like that and would be pretty uncomfortable using it myself.  While I can't think of many reasons to use B.A.M.E outside of quantitive discussion it at least distinguishes that there are differences within that group, as does LGBTQ+, using BAME just seems lazy and potentially insensitive, might as well just say "THEM".

Edited by stumobir

Increasingly intersectionality is used instead of BAME by those in said community 

As with all things, people hate being defined and labelled by others for other's consumption and would much prefer to define themselves, which makes better sense. 

• Paid Members

We'd be better off if people were worried more about being conscientious and polite enough to say the right thing than imagining that they were being restricted from saying the wrong thing. 

TIL that the last people executed in Britain, 'legally', was in 1964.

I think I already knew this (Today I Relearned?), but this has sort of shocked me a bit. That's not that long ago is it?

Also, TIL Pusha T is ridiculously rich as Arbys pays him for their slogan "We Have The Meats". And he came up with the McDonald's "I'm Loving It" jingle. Nice work.

2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

TIL that the last people executed in Britain, 'legally', was in 1964.

There’s that one as well about how the last legal  execution in France by guillotine happened after Star Wars A New Hope came out. (It wasn’t Lucas)

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

We'd be better off if people were worried more about being conscientious and polite enough to say the right thing than imagining that they were being restricted from saying the wrong thing. 

I mean, you're right, but it's gone to such an extreme now. Like everything amplified by social media, I suppose. I wasn't saying they were being restricted. But punishing people for using a term that was fine a year or two ago but is now usurped by another term? I'm sorry, but that seems counterproductive, to me.

Edited by AshC
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

There’s that one as well about how the last legal  execution in France by guillotine happened after Star Wars A New Hope came out. (It wasn’t Lucas)

I'll be honest, I'm surprised the French aren't still doing it, the brutal shits.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, AshC said:

I mean, you're right, but it's gone to such an extreme now. Like everything amplified by social media, I suppose. I wasn't saying they were being restricted. But punishing people for using a term that was fine a year or two ago but is now usurped by another term? I'm sorry, but that seems counterproductive, to me.

Who has been punished?

11 minutes ago, AshC said:

Every fucker whoever says the wrong thing because they're not on top of the myriad of new terms and offshoots.

Please give examples? 

Could always ask the person you are addressing rather than presuming...