Sign in to follow this  
SpursRiot2012

Today I learned...

.....that my wife and I are expecting our first child. We are over the moon! :)

1 hour ago, MPDTT said:

Do AEW do baby grows? :)

Congrats.

9 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Do AEW do baby grows? :)

Congrats.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, MPDTT said:

I know we have butted heads over politics and I have been a bit over zealous but huge congratulations. Being a dad is an amazing experience. Happy for you man. 

Just now, Joe Blog said:

I know we have butted heads over politics and I have been a bit over zealous but huge congratulations. Being a dad is an amazing experience. Happy for you man. 

Thank you sir!

14 hours ago, MPDTT said:

Congratulations! That's awesome news

TIL Max Brooks, author of World War Z, is the son of Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft.

Some more TIL Geography...

* The Norwegian town of Kirkenes, close to the borders with Russia & Finland, lies further east than Istanbul.

* The westernmost point of Japan is on the island of Yonaguni in Okinawa Prefecture - it lies further west than any part of either North or South Korea and is only 107km or 66.5 miles from Taiwan.

* The westernmost point of North America (and by extension, the USA as made up of its 50 states, excluding territories) is on Attu Island in Alaska, which is part of the Near Islands in the Bering Strait chain of islands. It lies further west than the whole of the North Island of New Zealand (so including the cities of Auckland & Wellington) as well as Fiji & both Samoa's. Attu Island was once the home of a small naval station that closed in 2010 and has since been uninhabited.

I’m possibly having a Mandela Effect moment (didn’t want to bump that thread from 4 years ago).

I’m almost certain I remember a law, or British a Broadcasting policy passing in late 90’s/early 00’s that prevented kids toy & food adverts playing before the watershed. It was deemed unethical to play such adverts during kids TV broadcast (channels such as Nickelodeon & CN). Obviously that’s completely out of the window now.

So I can’t find any info about the ban, and the friends I have who might know, can’t remember it. So TIL it possibly didn’t happen. 
Can anyone remember the Bam and help me to prove that my TIL is a lie? I’m trying to find out more specifically when the law changed again, allowing such adverts to broadcast.
Cheers

I'm pretty sure there was a ban on adverts for unhealthy foods during kids shows in the 00's.

Could this be what you were thinking of?

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2007/ofcom-publishes-final-statement-on-the-television-advertising-of-food-and-drink-products-to-children

Edited by Merzbow

1 minute ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I’m possibly having a Mandela Effect moment (didn’t want to bump that thread from 4 years ago).

I’m almost certain I remember a law, or British a Broadcasting policy passing in late 90’s/early 00’s that prevented kids toy & food adverts playing before the watershed. It was deemed unethical to play such adverts during kids TV broadcast (channels such as Nickelodeon & CN). Obviously that’s completely out of the window now.

So I can’t find any info about the ban, and the friends I have who might know, can’t remember it. So TIL it possibly didn’t happen. 
Can anyone remember the Bam and help me to prove that my TIL is a lie? I’m trying to find out more specifically when the law changed again, allowing such adverts to broadcast.
Cheers

This sounds extremely familiar to me too!

I know currently there are guidelines on how kids' products are advertised, in terms of not imploring the child to buy it, or suggesting that the kid would be bullied/inferior for not owning the product. But I definitely remember this being a thing that kids' advertising was far more regulated - I have strong memories of watching kids' TV in the late '90s/early '00s and the adverts being full of loan and insurance ads and so on.

It is a thing for food, though - high fat, sugar or salt foods can't be advertised at a time when the majority of the audience are likely to be children, and I don't think they advertise stuff like toys in Happy Meals any more (is that even still a thing?). 

Happy Meals still have toys, there was a huge thing last year or so when they added Nintendo figures and people were going wild for them.

4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

This sounds extremely familiar to me too!

I know currently there are guidelines on how kids' products are advertised, in terms of not imploring the child to buy it, or suggesting that the kid would be bullied/inferior for not owning the product. But I definitely remember this being a thing that kids' advertising was far more regulated - I have strong memories of watching kids' TV in the late '90s/early '00s and the adverts being full of loan and insurance ads and so on.

It is a thing for food, though - high fat, sugar or salt foods can't be advertised at a time when the majority of the audience are likely to be children, and I don't think they advertise stuff like toys in Happy Meals any more (is that even still a thing?). 

Yeah, I knew the good thing was still relevant, but I think stricter guidelines we’re being considered around 2012 or so (I think).

The toy ad ban was so memorable to me. It was more a case of the sudden change. Every advert on Cartoon Network (or whichever I had on) was basically the TV equivalent of the last chapter of an Argos catalogue. NERF, Action Man and everything in between, but then all of a sudden fuck all, and as you say, we ended up with home & insurance adverts. I swear it’s the reason my dad ended up with a shit load of carriage clocks & Parker pens. 

I just can’t seem to find any info about it happening. I haven’t looked that hard in fairness, other than a few basic searches, but I assumed that would be enough.