Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

TIL that a Welsh rugby game in 1905 was the first recorded example anywhere in the world of a national anthem being played before a sporting event. It was done in response to the Haka from the New Zealand team who were at that time unbeaten. 

http://sportinglandmarks.co.uk/summer-olympic-sports/rugby/how-the-welsh-introduced-national-anthems-to-international-sporting-fixtures/

That carrying aaa rechargeable batteries in the same pocket as your keys is a bad idea. Was doing some work on the drive this eve so had my head torch on the light dimmed so I put on my replacement head touch and took out the batteries from the first and put them in my pocket to remind myself to charge them later. About 10 minutes later the side of my leg was warm, seems they had a chemical reaction with my keys and heated I was lucky to realise so soon, story's online of people with serious lifetime burns. Beware fellow UKFF's

• Paid Members

Those studded bits of pavement near pedestrian crossings are called jenki blocks,likewise the ones with the little channels to indicate the difference between the pavement and a cycle path.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Dawn from The Office is Jasper Carrot's daughter.

When the Office was first on they mentioned that a few times and there was an interview with her asking why she changed her name. I love the interviewers logic that Davis was the fake showbiz surname and not Carrott

• 2 weeks later...

In the final ever episode of Byker Grove, the characters discover that they don't exist and are the creation of unseen characters known as 'The Writers' who plan to conclude the show by demolishing the Grove. However numerous present and former Grove members buy enough time for the characters to re-write the ending so that the club will remain open forever.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

In the final ever episode of Byker Grove, the characters discover that they don't exist and are the creation of unseen characters known as 'The Writers' who plan to conclude the show by demolishing the Grove. However numerous present and former Grove members buy enough time for the characters to re-write the ending so that the club will remain open forever.

Written by: M Night Shyamalan 

10 minutes ago, King of Hamptons said:

Watching a American guy eat army rations from around the world is pretty Compelling... 

Nice.

I adore Steve's enthusiasm, he gets almost giddy when he finds a perfectly edible biscuit or a smokable cigarette or something from the 40's.