Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Thanks for that, I'd been looking for a name for my new post-rock album.

Have Van Der Graaf Generator not already done that one? 

• Paid Members

TIL that the FYR Macedonia, following resolution of its dispute over the name with Greece, is from this month onwards officially known as North Macedonia.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

TIL that the FYR Macedonia, following resolution of its dispute over the name with Greece, is from this month onwards officially known as North Macedonia.

Aye, in official terms, but it'll still be referred to colloquially as Macedonia I imagine (much like the FYR was an official prefix that wasn't used in practice).

I'm glad they resolved this, as talking to some of the locals when I was in Skopje in 2011, many were in favour of squashing the conflict over the name, but there were plenty of people who were still very angry. I recall a guy who was wearing a t shirt that said "Fuck Greece" on it, with the cross on the Greek flag turned into a swastika, which was pretty eye opening. 

I feel like I'm probably late to the dance, but having finally gotten round to reading IT, I learned today that little Georgie Denbrough's body is actually found on the road where he first meets Pennywise the clown and has his arm chewed off.

In the movie they don't find his body, and he's missing presumed dead. I'm sure it was the same for the TV thing they did with Tim Curry, isn't it?

• Paid Members
On 3/14/2019 at 12:03 PM, Carbomb said:

I only found this out today, not from reading this thread but I noticed North Macedonia when browsing through the current UEFA nations and thought 'what the fuck'?

Also, are Czech Republic officially known as Czechia? Hasn't really caught on, has it?

• Paid Members
Just now, PunkStep said:

I only found this out today, not from reading this thread but I noticed North Macedonia when browsing through the current UEFA nations and thought 'what the fuck'?

Also, are Czech Republic officially known as Czechia? Hasn't really caught on, has it?

Yeah, they're called "Czechia" now. Initially they were leaning towards "Cesko", but apparently former president and national hero Vaclav Havel said it "made his flesh creep".

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Yeah, they're called "Czechia" now. Initially they were leaning towards "Cesko", but apparently former president and national hero Vaclav Havel said it "made his flesh creep".

“Every Little Helps” surely???

On 1/24/2019 at 11:26 AM, Kaz Hayashi said:

TIL that the Teletubbies is 100% British. I’ve always been under the impression it was Scandinavian. 

Bit late, but I found this out last week too. I also thought it was Scandinavian. Are we confusing it with another kid's show?

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

Bit late, but I found this out last week too. I also thought it was Scandinavian. Are we confusing it with another kid's show?

Probably the Moomins or Pingu, perhaps? We've had a fair few Scandinavian kids' programmes on British TV over the years. 

3 hours ago, David said:

I feel like I'm probably late to the dance, but having finally gotten round to reading IT, I learned today that little Georgie Denbrough's body is actually found on the road where he first meets Pennywise the clown and has his arm chewed off.

In the movie they don't find his body, and he's missing presumed dead. I'm sure it was the same for the TV thing they did with Tim Curry, isn't 

I'm pretty sure they find his body in the miniseries too. Haven't seen it in a while but I think I remember a funeral scene.

During a heavy rainstorm in Derry, Maine, Georgie Denbrough (Tony Dakota) plays in the streets with a paper sailboat made by his stuttering older brother Bill (Jonathan Brandis). It goes down a storm drain, where Georgie encounters Pennywise the Dancing Clown(Tim Curry). Pennywise entices Georgie to reach in to retrieve his boat, only for him to tear his arm off and leave him to bleed to death.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_(miniseries)#1960