UFC 188: Velasquez vs Werdum

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Just holding wins over Fedor and Cain would put him in the 'best heavyweight ever' discussion. Those two are the measuring stick. If Werdum ends up with wins over both, he's in that best ever bracket for me.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More of a random thought that anything but does anyone else find it a bit rude at the weigh-in's when the fighters chuck their stuff on the floor for their second to pick up rather than just handing it to them? Obviously they are in the zone and what not but still..

• Paid Members

More of a random thought that anything but does anyone else find it a bit rude at the weigh-in's when the fighters chuck their stuff on the floor 

Frightfully rude, old boy!

• Paid Members

No decorum whatsoever.

Everyone made weight then. Even Gastelum and Cejudo. Although I'd really be worried if Gastelum couldn't make 185.

67fW.jpg

XJHQ9.jpg

Thought Cain looked a bit softer than usual. He's never been ripped but his tits have definitely gone up a cup size. Werdum looked better but I've seen him in better shape as well. Don't think it matters too much though. It's hard to tell with the heavyweights sometimes.

Closer it gets the less I'm liking Werdum's chances. Especially now he's gone and pissed Cain off with the 'fake Mexican' stuff. El stupid.

Melendez and Alvarez got a bit arsey during the staredown. Nothing too much but Dana had to step in. Really can't wait for this fight. I'm thinking Melendez wins but I don't really know why. When I really think about this one it's almost a tossup. They're both relentless, both have great cardio, both tough, I'd say their wrestling is pretty even, power pretty even. It's a really tough call. I'd give Alvarez the edge in overall striking. He's got good boxing and some nasty kicks when he busts them out. Melendez pretty much never kicks but he's got some power in his punches. I'd say Melendez has a slightly better chin but Alvarez recovers well too.

They match up very evenly on paper. Just got a gut feeling Melendez will pull out a decision.

• Paid Members

Fuck, Melendez/Alvarez should be insane. That fucker has snuck up on us, it could and should be a classic.

I think people are sleeping on Alvarez after the Cerrone fight. It wasn't the debut Alvarez wouldn't have wanted but the thing Cerrone possesses that Melendez doesn't is leg kicks, that was the big difference in that fight.

Take leg kicks out and you have two guys here who are balls out aggression that love to get in a scrap, you just know Melendez is gonna wanna come out and throw down for the crowd too... i expect to see both guys dropped, bleeding and scrapping it out to the final bell...the fact that its 3 rounds should mean the pace will be even more intense.

• Paid Members

Yeah and one thing people overlook is that Cerrone is a bit of a giant lightweight. In that Cerrone vs Alvarez fight, Cerrone almost looked like a smaller scale Stefan Struve but much more skilled a striker. And when you've got someone like that who's both lanky and knows exactly how to use their frame to their advantage, they're a ridiculously tricky puzzle to solve. You could see Alvarez was struggling with the range because of Cowboy's frame. His one way to get in range was to use his footwork, and Cerrone took that away as well by smashing his legs in with kicks. It was quite a genius gameplan from Cowboy and Creepy Greg actually.

This fight should be much more up Alvarez's street. Melendez is more likely to scrap with him the way Alvarez likes to fight, because Melendez is the same way. I wouldn't be surprised if Alvarez wins. Like I said, it's almost 50/50 to me. Just got a feeling Melendez will edge it.

Oh and I love Alvarez but he needs to shave that chinstrap off. Looks crap.

• Paid Members

im such a sucker for some hype, i've been looking forward to the show all week but minus any real buzz...just watched all the Embedded episodes back-to-back, now im fucking pumped! It's always the best thing to watch leading into a fight.

Fabricio Werdum basically re-inforced why he rivals JDS for being the nicest guy in the heavyweight division though, genuinely comes off like a great guy, one other note from Embedded is that Tecia Torres has a ridiculous body, crikey.

Anyway's onto the fights...

One fight we aint really mentioning is Gastelum/Marquadt, how does everyone see that going? I think it's a given that Marquadt is past his best, but going from what Gastelum has been saying all week about wanting another chance at 170, and knowing that he can't beat the top guys at 185 does anyone else think Gastelum may be doubting himself going in there? Im feeling an upset.

• Paid Members

one other note from Embedded is that Tecia Torres has a ridiculous body, crikey.

I always remember there was a bit on TUF when she was walking through the house, just a brief cut-scene of no importance, and she was walking like a fucking bricklayer carrying two heavy bags of sand.

FarflungQuestionableGalapagospenguin.gif

She's a little brick shithouse.

I think Gastelum should beat Marquardt but Marquardt is a crafty vet who can surprise almost anyone on the right night. Marquardt is in the twilight of his career but when he's on he's dangerous. And I always liked him better at 185 than 170. Aside from his outstanding performance against Woodley (in a great fight that's been criminally forgotten), he never looked too good at welterweight. But I think Gastelum should win this. There's no real reason he shouldn't be beating Nate Marquardt at this point. Even if 185 isn't the ideal weight for him to be competing at. I do think he'd struggle at the very top of the middleweight division though. Badly. He's got no hope against someone like a Yoel Romero or Luke Rockhold.

Just been watching Helwani's interviews. I'm even more excited for Melendez vs Alvarez now. They both just seem to have a bit of an edge to them for this one. Melendez started talking about his history in the sport and you could sense that he's a bit irked that he's not really being talked about as one of the best in the world anymore like he was a few years ago. And Alvarez seemed grouchy and a bit annoyed that Melendez fancied beating him and was calling him out when the fight couldn't even get made. They both seemed to have a bit of a chip on their shoulder and seem to see this fight as their way of re-establishing themselves as top lightweights. Add to that they're both coming off losses so have something to prove. Then add to that the fight has been brewing for five years. Then stick the fight in Mexico City just to add a bit more to the pride factor. It's got all the ingredients of something special.

Alvarez quote;

"I wouldn't say legitimately dislike him because I don't know him. He's a guy like I am with kids and a business and does what he does. I don't know him so it'd be ignorant for me to say I don't like him. I don't like the things he said. I don't like the fact that he offered me out a number of times when we knew the fight couldn't happen. Some of the things he did, I didn't agree with. Him himself, I don't know who he is. I don't care for him. He's just another opponent to me.

But his curiosity of wanting to see how he'd do against me, it's gonna bite him Saturday. I emptied my training and I left my family and did all the proper things in order to make him pay for ever being curious about fighting me."

Melendez quote;

"Fighters come and go. I'm not talking crap but Roger Huerta. Cover of Sports Illustrated, right up there. Where is he at today? No offence to Roger. Gray Maynard, fighting for the title, where's he at today? Where was I at in 2003, 2006? I'm fighting Kawajiri in Pride. I'm #2 in the world while Anthony Pettis is trying out for The Ultimate Fighter show and not making it. I've been relevant for years. I've been debatably #1 for years. And I'm at the beginning of the fourth quarter of my career. I'm an older guy in this sport and I'm still top ten in the world. I've been there for years and not many people can say that. The UFC belt means a lot to everybody but not many people can say they were the #1 in the world at 145 at one point in 2004 or 2003, you know, and top three in the world since then. When I do the math it's been over ten years I've been top ten in the world. Maybe even top five in the world.

While Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar were fighting, which was an amazing fight and did amazing for the sport, I'm already like nine fights deep in Shooto. I'm undefeated at the time and I'm beating Rumina Sato."

Gilbert's an OG.

Melendez vs Alvarez promo;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=L_r69um3Vw4

I know I've kept it quiet but I'm actually a bit excited about this fight.

Werdum doesn't give a fuck :D

If the Cain who fought his last four fights shows up tonight he will give a fuck. I know he's been dealing with injury, but the guys been unstoppable, and he's been hammering his opponents.

Archived