UFC 188: Velasquez vs Werdum

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

The main event was one of the FOTY contenders for me

Definitely. Who really gives a shit that they gassed? They still fought their arses off in spite of that. I watched the fight again the other day and it really was a hell of a fight.

We started off 2015 with all those big fights - Jones vs Cormier, Silva vs Diaz etc - and they were good. But there really wasn't any standout FOTY contenders popping up at all in the first few months of the year. I think we were talking about that before. 2015, maybe more than any other year I remember in ages, really lacked those proper great fights. It wasn't that there wasn't anything good, just nothing outstanding.

It seems like there's been a turning point over the last few events though. Starting with UFC 187. From that night on we've had at least one killer fight on every card.

Andrei Arlovski vs Travis Browne

Charles Oliveira vs Nik Lentz 2

Carlos Condit vs Thiago Alves

Brian Ortega vs Thiago Tavares

Yair Rodriguez vs Charles Rosa

Cain Velasquez vs Fabricio Werdum

All fantastic fights. All in the last three or four weeks. It took five bastard months but things appear to be picking up now.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The main event was brilliant because it felt like it had a story going on throughout it; like you were watching a movie. It ended with one of my favourite finishes ever too. The takedown into the choke was beautiful.

Yep, and im sure Werdum was smiling whilst Cain tapped which was awesome

• Paid Members

The main event was brilliant because it felt like it had a story going on throughout it; like you were watching a movie. It ended with one of my favourite finishes ever too. The takedown into the choke was beautiful.

Yep, and im sure Werdum was smiling whilst Cain tapped which was awesome

Just me, or did he hold that submission on just a tiny bit longer than he needed to?

• Paid Members

I didn't pick up on that and it doesn't sound like something Werdum would do deliberately.

I'm really interested to see how Cain comes back from this. The JDS loss was something where he could tell himself 'I just got caught cold.' This was different though. Layoff and altitude aside, Werdum beat him up. He outfought him and beat him on technique. They both had to deal with the altitude. Werdum beat him everywhere and left Cain nowhere to go. There was no area Cain was safe in.

However big or small a factor the layoff/altitude was, that's still going to be a tough loss to come back from mentally. Especially when, on top of that, Cain can barely get through a training camp these days.

• Paid Members

Cain losing is the best outcome for a division that was looking a bit stale only a few months back. So many potential match ups and interesting stories regarding fighters now.

2015 hasn't half spoiled that potential Velasquez v Jones super fight though. If there was a slim chance of it happening before, it seems like it may never happen now.

Just me, or did he hold that submission on just a tiny bit longer than he needed to?

I saw nothing wrong with it, to be honest. In my opinion is that unless the person applying the choke can tell their opponent is unconscious already, you should always wait until the ref makes contact with you.

Stops the chance of controversy if the fighter lets go with the ref not having seen the tap.

I expect Cain to come back even better, he strikes me as the kind of guy that would get motivated by a loss.

Or a more lung-friendly altitude level.

I'll bet the UFC have binned their idea of using him as the main man for the Mexican market.

Archived