14 years ago WCW's Big Bang PPV ...

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

... never happened sadly. Tragic how time has flown by so much. That means there could be people in their 20s who have no idea there was anything other than WWE. WCW is so fucking long ago. I remember this so well. This poster was actually the back of a WCW PPV. Amazing they were putting plans in motion for a revamp show of a promotion they didnt even own.

wcwa.jpg

Anyway, I'm still holding out hope the show will happen at some point.

http://cgi.superstation.com/sports/thunder/index.htm

• Paid Members

I always bang on about this but their tv really seemed to turn a corner in early 2001 with sensible straightforward booking. Couldn't believe how decent it was when I rewatched it a while back.

• Paid Members

I think back then I used to check RajahWWF every day for wrestling news and lurked a couple of forums. I'd get WCW PPV's through the post from someone. Three for a tenner. Remember buying Sin and Superbrawl but it was years before I saw Greed. I was pumped for the takeover. Mind you, I still thought ECW had a future at that point too.

Really was sad for the business that this didn't happen. I'm sure Bischoff would have been reinvigorated and careful with the money. This would have had credibility that TNA has never come close to in 13 years.

... never happened sadly. Tragic how time has flown by so much. That means there could be people in their 20s who have no idea there was anything other than WWE. WCW is so fucking long ago.

I watched The Rise and Fall of ECW the other week. The way they were talking about ECW, it was like it was some ancient company from way back when. But that DVD came out three fucking years after WCW and ECW closed. I can go three years without watching a full episode of Raw these days and not think anything of it. It's already almost 2 full years since Bryan beat Cena at Summerslam and that feels like it happened a month ago.

Was there ever any info as to what plans Bischoff had for the company if they'd survived? The only thing I remember reading about was that the long term goal was to have Goldberg return and dethrone an unstoppable Scott Steiner. 

• Paid Members

I've long believed that Air Paris and Air Styles would have had a run at the Cruiserweight tag team title, a championship so brief in its existence that I bet plenty of people forget it was a thing. Fresh blood for the midcard being filled with multi-man clusters with Skipper/Romeo, Moore/Helms, Yang/Kaz, Karagias/Noble etc. If you like that sort of thing.

• Paid Members

Rob Van Dam, Super Crazy and all the top Toryumon names of the time were going to sign. Road Warrior Hawk was coming in to join up with Animal. Scott Hall was going to come back. Joey Styles and Cyrus were going to do commentary. From what I've read, Sean O'Haire was going to be pushed as this super karate man type babyface or some shit. By the sounds of it. Oddly enough, the rumour for years is that WCW was going to do an ECW invasion angle. They'd registered the web address "WCWXtreme.com", so that seems to indicate they were planning on doing something along those lines. The idea of Balls and Axl vs the Road Warriors both frightens and intrigues me.

I have an MP3 of a press conference where Bischoff and his mates are announcing they have bought WCW. I listen to it occassionally when I want to go "you should have waited a few weeks, lads."

• Paid Members

I like how hard they push EZ Money as a fresh new talent and the future of the game for the last two weeks.

Didn't they take Goldberg off tv in January planning his comeback post sale?

Archived