True Detective - Season 2 Thread *SPOILERS WITHIN*

WyattSheepMask

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Jesus. That was better. The show hasn't soared yet this season, but if it continues on this upward trajectory we're in for a treat.

I thought the show was much more even this week, the actors more settled into their characters and the dialogue less forced.

I fucking hope Ray's not a goner though, I thought he was the standout of this episode. Much less clunky than lest week, and the 2 highlights of the episode for me was him going through the 5 stages of grief with his ex-missis when he thought he was going to lose his son (that was SERIOUSLY well acted, I thought) and the back-and-forth between Ray and Ani, which seems to be the only potential for some Marty-and-Rust bickering light relief this season.

Good episode. Definitely getting more enthused by this season.

Was it me or did the Sky announcer spoil the next episode?

She basically said next week Ray goes rogue or something similar.

It took a while to get going (I could have done without the five minute monologue from Vaughn at the start) but decent enough episode again. It's by no means rubbish but it's not as good as the last one for me. 

• Paid Members

Was it me or did the Sky announcer spoil the next episode?

Yes, we noticed this. Pissed me off a bit, that.

This week's episode was much better than the first one though and suddenly I'm hooked in and can't wait to watch the next one. Was really looking forward to this series, even though I had managed my expectations and didn't think it had much chance of living up to the outstanding first series. Even with that in mind, I thought that the first episode was a bit of a let-down, but you could see that they were just moving pieces into place with it so that was sort of forgiveable. It didn't have me clamouring for episode two though, but I'm glad that they have turned that around with a super second episode.

• 5 weeks later...

It's crazy how steadfast people have been in sticking to trashing this season.

It's been messy, uneven and too cluttered at times but episodes 4, 6 and 7 in particular have been as good as you're going to get on TV this year.

My main gripe this season has been that 4 lead characters, with 4 back stories, is too much for an 8 episode season.

But besides that, it's been pretty damn good.

I can't take to this series at all. Been waiting and waiting, but it's too much of a clusterfuck and I can't take to Vaughan or Farrell as their characters.

I'm with you Louch, I have tried to get into this series but I can't. Every episode I've found myself playing with my phone instead of concentrating on the plot. I've no idea what's going on or what they are investigating anymore. I found myself not caring when the gay cop got whacked at the end of the last episode.

Disagree on Colin Farrell though, for me he's been the only good thing in it which says a lot about the show at the moment. Vince Vaughn is really bad though. He needs to go back to light-hearted comedy immediately. 

Judging by reactions from around the web I seem to be one of the only people who enjoyed the finale, probably the season on the whole too. It took a few episodes for me to get into it but it went from strength to strength especially in the second half of the season. Objectively it wasn't as good as the first season, but I'm still not sure which one I enjoyed more. Again a lot of people seem to disagree but I found this year's finale/wrap-up more satisfying than last year's.

Actually what the fuck am I saying, with a bit of hindsight I still think it was good but the first season was special. Shows like that don't come around very often.

Rubbish ending to an unremarkable season. the first 10 minutes might be the worst 10 minutes of the season. by the end i just didn't care who lived or died.

They're going to need a great cast to hook me for season 3.

I hate myself for sticking with it when it was awful, it just got worse, it's was full of mumbling and awful acting at times. The ghosts as he walks through the desert almost had me turning off they where that bad, but I stupidly clung on to see if they could pull it out the bag with something special ......instead we got an iPhone doesn't work in the woods. definite case of second album syndrome with this series. They made it too clunky, it would have ran fine without taylor fitchs character, but they lacked enough story for the others to flesh it out.

Archived