• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope it doesn’t get damaged. 

Don't know if I'd get away with walking around Dublin wearing an orange sash, to be honest...

Posted Images

• Paid Members

I loved that kit. Would it have been our away kit for USA 94 had we qualified? The home kit at the time was quite nice too, with the tiny little England badge at the bottom of the collar.

Was never a fan of the 96 & 98 kits. I don't like centred badge and kit makes on shirts. Left and right alignment for me, Clive.

37 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Would it have been our away kit for USA 94 had we qualified? The home kit at the time was quite nice too, with the tiny little England badge at the bottom of the collar.

Assuming they wouldn't have released another kit for the world cup, yes. The Euro 96 kit was debuted in 1995.

• Paid Members

I thought the Euro '96 home kit was great. So simple and crisp, with the light blue trim setting it off. 

• Paid Members

Quick question: what's the reason Adidas wouldn't ever get the England contract? I ask because I noticed they do the Team GB kit, which I quite like. (I'm guessing that Team GB are run by different people, so they've gone with a different supplier, but is there a specific reason why the FA wouldn't offer a contract to Adidas?)

jd_371656_c?qlt=92&w=600&h=765&v=1

I don't think there is a particular reason to be honest, it's just my opinion that they won't. 

An aside, that and all of the Team GB football shirts have been fantastic. I wouldn't wear one, but they are great.

Highly sought after too.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Quick question: what's the reason Adidas wouldn't ever get the England contract? I ask because I noticed they do the Team GB kit, which I quite like. (I'm guessing that Team GB are run by different people, so they've gone with a different supplier, but is there a specific reason why the FA wouldn't offer a contract to Adidas?)

jd_371656_c?qlt=92&w=600&h=765&v=1

I think it's more a case of Nike not letting the contract go. Historically, the England kits and other bits they pump out must be in the top few selling nations, behind maybe Brazil(and possibly Germany). It must generate both Nike and the FA a shit ton of cash, especially around major tournaments. As soon as Nike sensed that another big hitter like Adidas were sniffing around, they would just throw more money at it to keep the deal(and that's if they don't have a clause to say they can can match any offer on the table, like New Balance had on their Liverpool deal)...

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I think they will be a bit of an uproar from the 'patriotic'* section of England fans if they went with Adidas, despite the fact the will happily wear Adidas generally. 

"Can't have the fackin Germans make our kits! My grandad fought to stop this from appening!"

*racist 

Edited by PunkStep
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Didn’t Nike get it originally because they bought Umbro?

I think that’s correct. I was always quite fond of the last Umbro kits that were tailored. The blue away kit was lovely.

F0A72772-8593-4327-B234-765E0F6F718F.jpeg

Edited by scratchdj
  • Paid Members

I think Umbro do a superb job at a classic-looking kits. When Nike try, it just looks plain, generic and dull. But Umbro get the little nuances right to make it look special. I thought their later England kits, just before Nike took over, were lovely. 

• Paid Members

I've got quite a few of those old Umbro England kits, because they used to knock them down to under a tenner at Sports Direct once they were no longer current. I don't think I've liked any of the ones Nike have done.