Wrestling Training

DVDBellator

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Definitely going to get started. Wish i'd started when i was 10 years younger. I'm 27 now, but still want to give it a go.

It’s fine, there’s no age limit or such a thing as “starting too late”. You’ll enjoy it, I promise!

• Paid Members

Wrestling Training was one of my favourite things I was part of. Road trips to watch shows, the bumps and managing to counteract some of what later turned out to be Aspergers Syndrome traits (poor mobility, social anxiety) really got me on a much more even playing field with life. Uni life and such has got in the way of me getting back into it, as well as being 5 foot 8 at a push and struggling with weight issues (unable to keep weight on) as well as anxiety issues about travel right now making getting places a bit of a nightmare.

Its one of my main goals to get well again so that I can get back to it, it was easily one of the most enjoyable periods of my life and I know I've still got time on my side at 22 to get the weight back on and regain some composure with life.

• Paid Members

I thought about doing some training but decided that the britwtes market place is already full of fat, out of shape, no talents with no coordination or athletic ability, so I didn't bother as that is a gimmick 45% of people are already trying to get over.

The other 45% are skinny, sunbed avoiding, pleather fetishists who seem to think that shit kicks and treating wrestling like a dance will get you over.

The other 10% actually get it.

I trained at the FWA London school from the first day until it closed up. I think it was probably only about 14-16 months but it was a total blast. 

It started out at the Sobel Centre in Finsbury Park and later ended up moving to a warehouse a few miles up the road. I'm sure I missed a few weeks here and there (mostly money issues at the time) but on the whole me and my group of mates took the train into London for virtually every session and loved every minute of it. The main training was run by Alex Shane, with help from many of the FWA regulars. We had sessions with Doug Williams that were incredibly insightful (Doug was a really helpful, very friendly guy), Dino Scarlo proved to be the most motivating man I've ever met  while also being a wealth of in-ring wrestling information and the younger talents like Jodie Fleisch and The New Breed were often training with us, running warm-ups and getting stuck in to the sessions.

There were so many talented people in that group many of whom went on to have success in the UK. The mighty house of Pain Stixx started out there, as did RJ Singh. Nikita moved over from Hammerlock and started with us, before having a great run with the FWA that eventually saw her move to the USA with WWE. One-time Undertaker smack-talker and WWE developmental talent Hade "I Was On Smackdown Once" Vansen started out in our class. A nice, humble bloke who deserved a better shot in WWE. I remember Alex Shane immediately seeing money in Hade even at the start of his training, the annoyingly athletic, good-looking bastard! A number of the other London trainees made it to the main FWA shows, like The Duke of Danger and Kruiz, the third Breed member as well as referees/commentators like Tony Giles and Nick London.

It was great being a part of that little FWA uprising, even if it was just from working as ring-crew, being a landing mat for a silly high-spot into the crowd or giving the wrestlers that trained us an extra pay-day for working at the school every week. Had I been in far better shape I might have had a shot, but unfortunately as a massive pot-head I was never going to become the gym-rat and healthy eater needed to look the part. Still, great fun while it lasted and some of my best memories ever. 

Thanks to all involved.

What are the London options these days?

PROGRESS have the PROJO in Camberwell: http://www.progresswrestling.com/projo/

And of course, LDN Wrestling have training schools in London: http://www.ldnwrestling.com/training

I wouldn't recommend LDN. Tried it, and was less then impressed. The "trainer" wasn't up to scratch by any stretch of the imagination, and the constant "banter" about wrestling being "gay" was the pits. I attended some of their shows with the other trainees, and they didn't fill me with confidence, as although they featured some decent talent, the vast majority were pretty bad (and the shows also featured some of the lolgays banter mentioned earlier). Avoid if at all possible!

• 3 years later...
  • Paid Members

Sorry to bump an age-old topic, but the training schools map in the previous post has been moved to our main domain. It can now be found at: www.yourfightsite.com/wrestling-training-schools

If you run a training school, or know of a training school that’s missing or has the wrong details, then feel free to PM me and I’ll update the details as soon as possible.

Archived