The Official ICW Discussion Thread

• Paid Members

I've never heard the ICW commentary, but those fwa commentators were terrible.

The commentator who would yell "F'N WA!", as his catchphrase (like Joey Styles "Oh My God") should have been shot.

Probably the best UK commentator was our Linus. He was great on Revival.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

I think there's a very good chance they could fill that arena up.  A year of hype.  If not, I think there's a tremendous chance they'll get 8 or 9 thousand.

It's incredible really.  I'm not a fan personally of 18+ shows, and I have watched a bit of ICW, including some of last week's show, and while I won't knock the production of it at all, it's still not something I want to sit down and watch, but I might give the next London show a shot, given its location.

I'm in two minds whether to get a VIP premium seating ticket (as these are now the only VIP tickets left it seems) or go for a standing ticket. I'll more than likely be going on my own so in that regard having a seat is better if I want to get a drink/toilet break etc. I can just return to my seat and not lose my spot in the crowd. But then it looks like part of the fun/experience of ICW is being in that huge standing crowd (I've never been to an ICW event before).

Edited by digitalversicolor

Enjoyed the show and amazing to think how big ICW has gotten. I do think they need to move away from music that they have to mute however and this includes Grado. Massive pop and straight into silence just killed the moment for me.

Think the swearing by the announcer should also be turned down or eliminated. Not offended by it at all but can make it sound quite amateur.

Apart from those minor niggles, great effort. I think Foley was used perfectly.

Grado's music is a big problem. His theme tune is a big part of his character, the crowds love clapping and singing when they hear the intro but when it is muted on the on demand service his entrance is just not fun. The crowd went mental at Wembley earlier this year when they heard his theme. Sadly we all know they will never be allowed to use it. What do you replace it with that still captures the fun? I hope they find something but it will be difficult for ICW and we have to respect that.

There are a couple of others they have to mute out but have less impact and they should use local bands like they use for many other intros such as Jack Jester's.

With regard to the announcer are you talking about the commentator/comedian Billy Kirkwood? Sometimes he can go a bit far but again it is ICW and ICW is the alternative. It is also over 18's so they should have no worry. Sometimes he does go a bit over the top but I feel his commentary helps emphasise their matches and how much the wrestlers are going all out. I do not think he sounds amateur, his profession as a comedian makes it easy for him to speak in front of crowds. I would say his style as an announcer and commentator sound far better than many I have seen at live indys and taped ones.

All the talk of tv is old hat.icw sold out secc based on the Internet and word of mouth, as bbc docs were both out before it was announced. Why get lost in amongst hundreds of channels, when linking clips on Facebook and twitter is proving succeful so far? Tv should be an addition, not the end product. Highlight show once a month of the events in that period would be plenty. All shows are recorded in hd anyway so no real extra costs

Agree on the above re the music. Don't get like a prayer being muted on entrance, but not on post match.

Just because the documentaries were before the show was announced does not mean it has had nothing to do with their business. I bought some dvds based on seeing the 1st documentary and enjoyed the product. I am sure many others got into ICW from the documentaries. I think you are correct in saying that them using more and more promos on the internet recently has helped as it makes sure it keeps people updated on storylines but tv has had alot of impact on their success. Due to the shows being more frequent now than they once were, and would not be surprised if they do more next year, a fortnightly show would be better to keep up to date.

No, to clarify I think Bily Kirkwood is great, I just think the constant swearing can take away from it. Even in ECW you barely heard Joey Styles swear. Saying that I did have a good chuckle when he asked 'who's this cunt' when the singer came out for Drew's entrance.

• Paid Members

No, to clarify I think Bily Kirkwood is great, I just think the constant swearing can take away from it. Even in ECW you barely heard Joey Styles swear. Saying that I did have a good chuckle when he asked 'who's this cunt' when the singer came out for Drew's entrance.

Bear in mind also that in Glasgow 'cunt' isn't so much swearing as punctuation.

Edited by JNLister

Slightly OT but this all just reminds me of this particular gem from BBC North West Tonight a few years ago where, remarkably, nobody in the entire news staff in Manchester realised exactly what this guy had said, as it wasn't a live interview.

Back on - really tempted by Fear and Loathing IX. I've only been to ICW's shows in Sheffield up until now but I'm considering making the trip back to the homeland for this one.