The Official ICW Discussion Thread

• Paid Members

Great attendances, good quality production. It's a mysetery why some think TV would "help". They'd lose their control over the product and potentially money, as the subscription income is theirs minus costs.

Indeed. TV isn’t the be all and end all. ICW are doing fine without. Better than fine. They had nearly 5,000 at a bona fide arena, and are now going to more than double that. TNA can’t do that, even with TV, and even with the attraction of being a Stateside promotion visiting the UK for a once-a-year trip.

Far too many British promotions have looked at TV as the Holy Grail and fucked themselves over doing it. As soon as you get on TV you're going to be compared with WWE as they are just a click away. ICW works great as a live product, I don't think it would translate nearly as well to weekly TV. They're better off keeping doing what they're doing, especially if they can keep getting documentary type stuff about them on TV, as well as segments on local news etc.

Far too many British promotions have looked at TV as the Holy Grail and fucked themselves over doing it. As soon as you get on TV you're going to be compared with WWE as they are just a click away. ICW works great as a live product, I don't think it would translate nearly as well to weekly TV. They're better off keeping doing what they're doing, especially if they can keep getting documentary type stuff about them on TV, as well as segments on local news etc.

Good point, their current style comes across as a good night out with your mates atmosphere which is fun and some may not enjoy watching it on the tele, although I find watching their pre recorded shows fun also.

Another documentary would be great. A guy who in the 1st documentary was working out of his kitchen, in the 2nd getting his own office and having a show main evented by a former IC champ coming home to ICW to get his belt back, and in a 3rd running a show in an arena WWE use without the aid of tv. A true if you want it and work for it you will get there, quite an inspirational story when you look at it. He didn't rush it like I felt others did but let it grow naturaly. Being on BBC helped alot of people hear of them. People seeing them run and arena may think hang on this is not a cheap promotion but a real big one. I told people at work about them before and they thought meh, I told them they sold out 5,000 on Sunday and thought wow and on Monday they are doing the Hydro and a couple thought maybe we should check this out. I am trying to get them go to Pin Pals.

Great attendances, good quality production. It's a mysetery why some think TV would "help". They'd lose their control over the product and potentially money, as the subscription income is theirs minus costs.

Indeed. TV isn’t the be all and end all. ICW are doing fine without. Better than fine. They had nearly 5,000 at a bona fide arena, and are now going to more than double that. TNA can’t do that, even with TV, and even with the attraction of being a Stateside promotion visiting the UK for a once-a-year trip.

These two points are relevant, I did say earlier how I thought TV companies may want rid of some of the wrestlers and characters that make ICW a good alternative. Also you have to look at how much they will receive for production costs and if it is worth it and if On Demand service they currently use brings in enough money. I don't know how many subscribers there are. I hope more wrestling sites review them to make the On Demand service more well known. It could get more, I think there is a further market out there. The On Demand is a good price, $5.99 (roughly £3.90-£4.15 depending on rates) is far better value than RPW who charge £7-9 a show especially as ICW have had about 30 shows this year.

Back to Fear and Loathing, the best part is that they did not need to bring in 5 imports to sell the show out. I think they would of done well with none or maybe just Foley on his own. I think they will still bring a couple next year to try and fill the 13,000. However a couple of shows in Coventry had about 3000 ten years ago but needed shit loads of imports. Not only was this a Brittish promotion this was actually an almost all Brittish card. I thought they could only sell that out by bringing in imports but Dallas has used previous imports well enough to get them spotted in the past so that people saw the true ICW wrestlers.

• Paid Members

Screengrab from the On Demand show. If you look closely about halfway up the picture to the left, you may be able to spot a ring.

12243075_10153088566941105_5316794359147

That looks amazing, and definitely impressive, but how do people, you know, see?

I'm going to sign up to the on demand purely to check this show out - just by its very nature it's become an 'occasion' worth seeing. That's a lot of the draw of next year's too.

Screengrab from the On Demand show. If you look closely about halfway up the picture to the left, you may be able to spot a ring.

12243075_10153088566941105_5316794359147

That looks amazing, and definitely impressive, but how do people, you know, see?

I'm going to sign up to the on demand purely to check this show out - just by its very nature it's become an 'occasion' worth seeing. That's a lot of the draw of next year's too.

I wonder that myself, seeing at the back of the small venues is not the easiest. I thought it may put people off going but obviously not. I would like to hear from people about what the views were like. I feel the seating they have next year will help them for anybody who was worried.

If you sign up make sure you check out Square Go from this year, only 4 matches but good throughout.

Edited by westlondonmist

I was amazed at how good the views were, even from the back of the arena when I went to the bar or the toilet. The ring was raised and 4,000 people may sound a lot but it only translates to maybe 20-25 rows.

I went to my first ICW show in December and I've been to about 9 since, and this was comfortably the best show they've done imo. I'd encourage anyone to watch it.

Spoilers from Wrestle Ropes below.  In terms of view I was also amazed by how easy it was to see the ring from near the back of the crowd and this was a bit of a concern for me beforehand.  The screens were also great quality.  Overall, the show was fantastic and I remember being in the Classic Grand in 2011 with about 200 people there thinking ICW was doing really well.  Never could have imagined it getting to the point where selling out the same arena that WWE run is more likely than not.

The show began with ICW owner, Mark Dallas, Chris Toal & Sweeney coming to the ring. Mark Dallas announced that ‘Fear & Loathing IX’ will take place at The SSE Hydro in Glasgow on November 20th 2016 and tickets would go on sale on November 19th 2015. ICW General Manager, Red Lightning came out to complain about his suspension. Mark Dallas was about to fire Red Lightning until Mick Foley came to the ring. He told Mark Dallas that he would do the best job he could as commissioner for the evening.

ICW Zero-G Championship – Davey Boy (w/ The Wee Man) defeated Stevie Boy by Pinfall to become the new ICW Zero-G Champion. *NEW CHAMPION*

Six-Man Tag Team – Kenny Williams, Noam Dar & ‘Global Hero’ Joe Hendry defeated Lionheart, ‘Bad Boy’ Liam Thomson & Doug Williams by Pinfall*.

*During the match, Jimmy Havoc attacked Lionheart, Liam Thomson & Doug Williams.

Following the match, Scots Squad also arrested Lionheart after he attacked Bobby who was in the crowd. Liam Thomson & Doug Williams attempted to attack Kenny Williams, Noam Dar & Joe Hendry but were stopped after Carmel Jacob returned and hit Liam Thomson with a steel chair before challenging him to a match at ‘The 5th Annual Sqaure Go’. 

Prior to the ICW Women’s Championship match, Mick Foley announced that Sammii Jayne & New Age Kliq were banned from ringside. Foley then announced that Viper was being added and the match would be a triple threat contest.

ICW Women’s Championship: Tournament Final – Viper defeated ‘The Best In The Galaxy’ Nikki Storm & Kay Lee Ray by Double Pinfall to become the inaugural ICW Women’s Champion. *NEW CHAMPION*

‘Iron Man’ Joe Coffey defeated ‘The Man-Beast’ Rhyno by Pinfall.

ICW Tag Team Championship – Polo Promotions (Jackie Polo & ‘The Real Deal’ Mark Coffey) (w/ Coach Trip & DCT) defeated The 55 (Kid Fite & ‘The East End Butcher’ Sha Samuels) (w/ James R Kennedy & Timm Wylie) by Pinfall to retain the ICW Tag Team Championship.

Steel Cage: All Team Members Must Escape* To Win – New Age Kliq (Chris Renfrew, BT Gunn & Wolfgang) defeated Legion (Tommy End, Mikey Whiplash & Michael Dante) by Pinfall**.

*Order Of Escape: Wolfgang, Michael Dante, Tommy End, Chris Renfrew, BT Gunn & Mikey Whiplash (Joint Escape).

** Although originally the match could only be won by all members of a team escaping, BT Gunn and Mikey Whiplash both escaped at the same time when they fell from the cage through tables. Mikey Whiplash then took to he mic and asked BT Gunn to kill him. As Chris Renfrew & Wolfgang tried to hold back BT Gunn, BT Gunn punched Wolfgang before slapping Chris Renfrew to break free and re-enter the cage tojoin Mikey Whiplash. BT Gunn defeated Mikey Whiplash by Pinfall.

Following the match, both groups stood face to face in the ring as a show of respect to each other.

‘The Beast Of Belfast’ Damo defeated ‘The Hardcore Icon’ Jack Jester by Pinfall*.

*During the match, Damo hit Jack Jester with a steel chair prior to his victory.

ICW World Heavyweight Championship – Grado defeated Drew Galloway by Pinfall* to become the new ICW World Heavyweight Champion. *NEW CHAMPION*

*During the match, Drew Galloway knocked out the referee which brought out Red Lightning to the aid of Galloway. Mick Foley came to the ring and attacked Red Lightning. Jack Jester then ran to the ring and stole Mr Socko from Mick Foley. Grado then delivered the Wee Boot to Drew Galloway before Mark Dallas ran to the ring and counted the winning fall.

Glad to see it was still a decent view no matter where you were. It may have put some off and the confirmation of the good view will make some more likely to go.

As it seems many travelled up to see the show, I am wondering what their plans for venues for other shows and tours are. They have changed the London venue; Koko I believe held 6-700 but believe Brooklyn Bowl can hold up to 1000 depending on set up of the venue (however I have only been there for a small Tragedy gig).

Having also been there myself, i can also concur on the great view from the back of the hall. Plus having only been to the Manchester and liverpool house shows got to say the Glasgow experience was amazing.

For me outside the havoc vs ospreay match at progress, for perfect heel/face matches the grado/galloway was up there for best this year.

Edited by PRINCE2356

• Paid Members
How was Fear And Loathing live then? Just watched it on their On-Demand service; good show, massive pop for the Grado win but the crowd seemed quieter than usual for every other match. Were the crowd louder in person or is the areana acoustics/camera mics not picking up the sound very well?