The Official ICW Discussion Thread

I got it just to rewatch the Birmingham show I went to, but I've hardly used it since. Was on the verge of cancelling since there isn't much point subscribing if I'm not using it, but shall hold out to watch Fear & Loathing then consider things.

Edited by Jon-Carr_92

• Paid Members

Well, I enjoyed my first live taste of ICW last Friday (‘Live Forever’ – 30 October 2015 – Manchester).  I didn’t see anything to make me want to start following the promotion full time or sign up to their On Demand service (though I am tempted to check out their big ‘Feat & Loathing’ SECC show, just because of the scale, occasion and hype), but I did like it as a show overall and would probably go again if they ran a city fairly close to me or the night before/after something else I was already travelling to see.  A fair few bellends in the crowd that were tough going during the first few matches, but then the action of Gallagher vs. Whiplash and the sheer entertainment of Grado, Sha & Co. woke the rest of the audience up and from that point on it was a really good atmosphere.

Things didn’t get off to the best of starts, as we queued outside the Manchester Academy for 20 minutes or so before managing to work out there were actually 4 Manchester Academies, and the one ICW was playing was not at the main Manchester Academy building but in fact inside the student union building.  Had we stayed where we were, we would have ended up in some kind of Peter Hook/Joy Division thingy.  So, we joined another queue, which was itself a combined queue for something else going on inside the union, until security just called all the wrestling fans forward.  The doors to the show were running late, so everyone just milled around the downstairs lobby, at which point the queue issues became irrelevant since it just turned into a big scramble anyway.  Doors to the wrestling venue then actually opened some 30 minutes late and we manage to nab a very decent, if somewhat BO-ey spot just behind those at the barrier.  The venue itself resembled a school assembly hall inside, and I was pleased to see ICW using a bigger ring than the silly-looking postage stamp effort they had last time I’d paid them any attention.  While we waited for the show to start, they played cool little videos on the big screen, showing funny segments, music vids, highlights and advertising for the On Demand service.  This was a good idea, since it filled in the time, built excitement and introduced a bit of what was going on.  Other promotions could learn from this.

The show started with Billy Kirkwood out to do some genuinely funny warm-up.  I’ve always thought both he and Chris Brooker are funny guys, but a lot funnier doing reactive, ad lib stuff rather than their scripted material.

Following this, Lionheart came out to announce that Red Lightning had named him General Manager for the evening.  He’s a fantastic bad guy, getting into it with audience members and having some quick comebacks to really make him hated.  Lionheart banned Kenny Williams from the building and, in fact, the entire weekend tour, confirmed that the NAK and Legion must not touch each other before ‘Fear & Loathing’ and made his own scheduled bout with NAK’s Stevie Boy a title match for the Zero-G strap.

Polo Promotions (Jackie Polo & Mark Coffey) & Nikki Storm beat New Age Kliq (Chris Renfrew & BT Gunn & Kay Lee Ray).  This started as a standard tag with the blokes until Kay Lee Ray interfered, Nikki came out to even it up and it restarted as a 6-person tag.  It was a decent enough opener; nothing fancy.  Storm pinned KLR with a roll-up.

Liam Thomson beat Noam Dar after a low-blow, and the referee missed the ropes on the pin too.  This was a really good match in terms of action, but much like the opener the crowd was cold to a lot of it aside from individuals heckling the referee constantly throughout the entire match (even before that finish), even if he wasn’t doing anything.

Jack Gallagher beat Legion’s Mikey Whiplash via stoppage to a hanging guillotine.  A tremendous wrestling match, and it was with these two that the crowd started to wake up and get into what was actually happening in the matches rather than just trying to shout funny stuff or swear.  These two always have great matches against each other and this was no exception.

Grado & Joe Coffey beat The 55 (Kid Fite & Sha Samuels).  So, so much fun – exactly what I want from a live wrestling show these days: characters, stars and entertainment.  This got the biggest reactions so far, and it was from here that the crowd really came alive.  I’ve been watching Samuels for about a decade now, but never has he been as good as he is right now – he’s top class as a character and his relationship with the audience at shows is something that never disappoints.  The PCW ‘Fat Cantona’ songs (that have followed Sha to RevPro, PROGRESS, IPW:UK and probably more) were longer, louder and more sustained than I think I’ve ever heard before anywhere, and She truly revelled in it all.  As for Grado, he just exudes star presence and it’s impossible not to get caught up in his fight.  Coffey and Fite more than played their part too, and this was just wonderful pro wrestling.  Grado scored the pin with his version of a top rope splash.  He’s getting the big title match against Drew Galloway at ‘Fear & Loathing’, so this was about establishing him as potentially a real threat rather than the joke.  Coffey was firing him up afterwards, getting him to believe in himself and telling him to bring home the belt.  Loved, loved, loved this entire part of show.

After the interval, NAK’s Wolfgang beat Big Damien O’Connor and Trent Seven in a 3-way, pinning Seven with a massive powerbomb.  In the same way as the opening tag, this started as a Wolfgang vs. Damo singles bout, until Trent interfered and it became the triple-threat.  This was another decent match, with heavy, physical action.

Stevie Boy (of the New Age Kliq) beat Lionheart with a rollup to retain Zero-G Title.  Stevie Boy was definitely cast as the babyface here, which was weird since NAK were out-and-out heels in the opener.  I sort-of get that ICW isn’t about good guys and bad guys (they’re all defined stars based on their character, rather than traditional wrestling roles, and it’s more about believing in the meaningful rivalries between those established characters), but as a newcomer to ICW like myself that made it difficult to care about who won or what happened.  With that said, Lionheart continued to look a supreme top-level heel, and he got a ridiculously heated, venomous reaction.  He was absolutely hated.  As a match, there wasn’t much to it.

As the ring announcer called for the main event, what seemed like a whole load of Scottish fans all of a sudden just pushed their way to the front, barging everyone else out of the way.  That was weird, like they thought themselves to be the true ICW fans who needed the wrestlers to see them at the front or something.  Odd.

Black Label (Drew Galloway & Jack Jester) beat Legion (Tommy End & Jimmy Havoc) when Havoc turned on End with an Acid-Rainmaker, despite fighting alongside him the entire match to that point and there being no fallout or dissent.  Because swerve.  Well, it is ICW after all.  End’s Legion stablemate Whiplash came out to see what was happening, but Havoc whacked him with a chair too.  Before the nonsense finish, it had been a really good, crazy, exciting building-wide brawl.  Of course, at times you couldn’t see a damn thing, but at others they were fighting right past you, smacking each other into walls, doors and whatever.  This was the first time I’d seen Jester live, and he’s a lot smaller than I had imagined, but has real star presence.

And that was that.  I’d probably say it wasn’t on the level of a PCW, PROGRESS or big RevPro show, but as I said in my opening this was a very fun, worthwhile, enjoyable show and I’m more than glad I chose to attend.  Almost everyone on show came over as stars, and it is clear this is a promotion that knows exactly what they are doing.  I notice they haven’t got a Manchester date on their next UK-wide tour, but I know they’ve run Leeds, Sheffield and Newcastle before and could easily make it to one of them if I decide to come back for more ICW-related shenanigans.

It's a tricky one because ICW don't tend to have the traditional face/heel divide. The fanbase tend to cheer for whoever they like rather than who the traditional face would be. Jackie Polo started out as a massive heel but since the addition of Coach Trip and DCT they've definitely gotten more cheers.