The Official ICW Discussion Thread

On 11/14/2018 at 5:44 PM, Accident Prone said:

The problem with ICW was their booking and stories got incredibly tedious and repetitive. I was hooked on the company for around 2 years heading into the first Hyrdo show but then I started to see the lazy reliance on authority figures and fucking Red Lightening. I didn't even see the next F&F so I must've dropped them around the summer time, and I assume a lot of people did the same.

Even more recently, I heard about a great Joe Coffey promo a few months back and it was indeed great until it was all about Red Lightening again and who was on who's side and blah blah fucking blah. I don't watch non-WWE promotions to see WWE tropes out in full force.

But looking at the marketing for F&F, I think they know they've fallen into a dip due to all this and they appear to be fine with it. The latest promo video is basically them saying "We were Big Bang of this current era of British Wrestling. Come and see where it all began" and you can't really argue with them. Grado and ICW were fucking massive, especially for a Scottish wrestling promotion, and were the entry way to the BrtiWres scene for those who were getting fed up with what was being offered by the mainstream.

Shame really, as me and my mates were really into ICW back in 2014/2015. The  tour show they held in the small room of the Birmingham O2 was fantastic and is one of the most fun all-round shows I've been to. I wish them the best and, now that PROGRESS is in the toilet creatively, I hope they get rid of the dead weight and get those lost fans, and me, back on the wagon. 

Sorry pal.

I’m just too good at my job hence things seem to gravitate back to being about me 🙂

edit; simply humour 

Edited by RedLightning

On 11/14/2018 at 5:44 PM, Accident Prone said:

The problem with ICW was their booking and stories got incredibly tedious and repetitive. I was hooked on the company for around 2 years heading into the first Hyrdo show but then I started to see the lazy reliance on authority figures and fucking Red Lightening. I didn't even see the next F&F so I must've dropped them around the summer time, and I assume a lot of people did the same.

Even more recently, I heard about a great Joe Coffey promo a few months back and it was indeed great until it was all about Red Lightening again and who was on who's side and blah blah fucking blah. I don't watch non-WWE promotions to see WWE tropes out in full force.

But looking at the marketing for F&F, I think they know they've fallen into a dip due to all this and they appear to be fine with it. The latest promo video is basically them saying "We were Big Bang of this current era of British Wrestling. Come and see where it all began" and you can't really argue with them. Grado and ICW were fucking massive, especially for a Scottish wrestling promotion, and were the entry way to the BrtiWres scene for those who were getting fed up with what was being offered by the mainstream.

Shame really, as me and my mates were really into ICW back in 2014/2015. The  tour show they held in the small room of the Birmingham O2 was fantastic and is one of the most fun all-round shows I've been to. I wish them the best and, now that PROGRESS is in the toilet creatively, I hope they get rid of the dead weight and get those lost fans, and me, back on the wagon. 

I loved the promotion for a couple of years up until around the time Grado won the title (I am a big fan of his but to me more of an upper mid carder). It seemed different at the time. However all the matches seemed to have been done to dust and felt no reason to watch. I think a big problem was that I started to see other promotions around, mainly rpw for me. I think same for others, they watched icw started wanting to watch British indies again and people started seeing their own local stuff. 

So many promotions have big names in them now, just look at rpw, progress, ipw, fight club and many more. I'm not sure it really stands out any more. They got me back into britwres but have not done much to keep me hanging on. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, wrestleuk said:

Jeff Jarrett has been announced as the special guest ref for James storm v grado I can see a guitar shot across the head of grado coming...

I am sure they have now gone from absolutely plops ticket sales to selling out the Hydro. Great booking, lads.

You can only market towards wretched Glaswegian late 90s manchild mosher types for so long before even they get bored, evidently.

Had a great time at F&L last night much smaller crowd than the last few years but the action in the ring didn’t disappoint the queen of insanity match was the MOTN by a country mile everything they did made sense storylines progressed well and it wasn’t dominated by part time imports (6 man tag aside 😂)

They announced the Square go for 24th February at a venue icw Haven’t ran before so I’m hoping to get back up for that 

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if sabu will be scheduled to wrestle at ICW again anytime soon. Sabu is one off my all time favourite wrestlers and ICW is my favourite uk wrestling promoting. I'm from Yorkshire and want to go up to Glasgow for a few nights when they have a big show on like fear & loathing or square go but wouldn't want sabu to be announced for a later fight club taping or something like that. To me seeing sabu wrestling for ICW at a fight club taping would be bigger than seeing fear and loathing. So if I knew if sabu was definitely going to return I'll wait until he does or if anyone knew he definitely wouldn't wrestle for ICW again I know I can just make a trip to the next big event. 

I would go go twice but if it ends up being in the same year it's getting costly just 7 days into 2019 and I have for the love of wrestling weekend and the NJPW London show (which I'll stay over for).

thanks

• 9 months later...
6 minutes ago, wrestleuk said:

It seems any buzz ICW once had has dropped off a cliff this is the first time I'm not going up to Glasgow for fear and loathing is anyone on here going up for the show/s or even still following the product?

I totally agree with you. I ended up Going to Shugs Hoose party earlier in the year for both days and was very disappointed, the fans were great though, but a very poor show. So not following the product whatsoever, I will give it this though, the Icw Fight club taping in Sheffield in October 2017, genuinely the best live pro wrestling show I have ever been to, I’ll always love the promotion for that show, incredible.

While it's hard to disagree that the product is not the same as 2015/2016, Its a shame as its not particularly their fault, WWE have signed most of their top talents since then and they are plying their trade across all WWE brands which is a testament to the pot of gold they had at the time as a roster. PROGRESS I would presume went the same way.

Regarding SHP, It was an extremely difficult time for the Scottish Wrestling community in general. A lot of the roster and team I would presume were still in shock at the events the month prior with Lionheart with his funeral being not too long before that weekend - I don't feel it was ever going to be the show that it could have been - creatively certainly, given so much possibly had to change.

I still watch the product, and it is getting better without a doubt. 

• 5 months later...

We have just released a new app for Android and iOS.  Keep up to date with ICW news, watch ICW On Demand, our YouTube channel, buy tickets and merchandise.  

If you like the app and have a spare minute give it a wee rating and review on Google Play or the App Store.  Cheers folks. 

Hope your all coping OK during this horrible time.

Google play

App Store

We've recently added some content from a few other promotions/companies to our On Demand service and are currently offering a free month trail to new subscribers using the code ICWAPP. 

Click collaborations section at top of your account to see what's available. We've added a few shows from The Wrestling Revolver, EVE, Melbourne City Wrestling and AAW Pro as well as CZW's best of Jon Moxley, their best of Kevin Steen, a Highspots Bruiser Brody documentary and an RVD shoot interview. 

We are also continuing to release new ICW content each week and have just started  our own best of series with Drew Galloway and Kay Lee Ray being the first ones made available and a new one being added every Friday.