WrestleMania Crowds **SPOILERS** **SPOILERS**

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Didn't want to derail the discussion in the main thread because the show deserves to be discussed on it's merits.

What do you think the future is for WrestleMania based on the last couple of years? Obviously last year had the traditional babyface finish which worked because it was Daniel Bryan. Can that happen again any time soon?

At this WM, we saw a seriously unlikable heel run down to steal the World Title to a massive pop. It'd be easy just to say it's because the crowd are Indy wankers but we've seen that reaction in the past when Edge first did it so not really that simple. Nor is it necessarily a case of it being a protest against the chosen babyface because he screwed Brock Lesnar who is uber-popular.

Got me thinking about what it means for future WMs. Are they always going to have to book WM to suit the crowd? in fairness they've done it beautifully the past two years but does that now set a precedent whereby they feel forced to end WM with a guy that crowd like having the moment in the spotlight?

This has been building for years but they've gotten away with having Cena, who is loved/hated anyway, and also having big established stars like HBK/Taker/Rock who'll always appease the WM crowd. Are we now seeing an era where the WM crowd dictates the booking for the show year on year or do they accept that their big babyfaces will get booed to fuck a few times a year and ignore it?

Interesting debate I think.

• Paid Members

Maybe easier typed than done, of course, but a great way to battle this is for the rest of the year create a babyface all types can get into. They kind of ruined Reigns at the start of the year with some right hokey Cena-esque material, which was then made worse when they had Bryan show up at the Rumble. Pitcos seems to think that type of fan will revolt against the WWE hand picked bloke no matter what they do (and he may be right), but they didn't half ruin Reigns with a couple of months of some brainless decisions. They've got to be smarter and make cooler babyfaces, essentially. Babyfaces that don't say "sufferin' succotash" and wink at the camera after a poor line. Not sure Vinnie Mac has it in him at his old age - it's been two years of the fans turning on his original choices.

I find it mental that you even question whether the fans should dictate the booking of a show. That's exactly how wrestling should be. You give the people what they want. Present them with something they are willing to pay money to watch.

WWE is going wrong in the manipulation of what fans want. WWE have three hours of Raw a week, along with Smackdown and many other outlets. They have no excuse for not being able to manipulate the fans tastes in a way they think will be best for business.

The booking of Reigns since Rollins belted him with that chair has been boggling at best. Some good bits, but lots of misfires. They had the chance to start again when he was injured. Instead of taking a step back and giving him a second chance at the Rumble they just carried on making mistakes with him with the video interviews.

• Paid Members

I find it mental that you even question whether the fans should dictate the booking of a show. That's exactly how wrestling should be. You give the people what they want. Present them with something they are willing to pay money to watch.

It's not a case of one show, it's the culmination of existing stories and the start of months of new business. They should be building for WM a champion who will make them money night in and night out for months. I'm question questioning whether they are now scared to do that because of the reactions on one show when the audience is different to the bread and butter. It's far from a simple answer.

There is a simple answer though.

Wrestling is a variety show. It doesn't have to be pinned all on one character to draw every demographic. Build a selection of main eventers who appeal to different types of fan.

If the guy who predominately appeals to the WM crowd goes over at Mania that's fine.

• Paid Members

There are ways and means to make the fans happy and do what you want to for storytelling purposes. For example, on last night's show, a fan favourite winning the Battle Royal, Bryan or Ambrose in the IC title, and Sting in the HHH match would have given the crowd enough to make any other decisions acceptable. That they chose HHH & Big Show to win, clearly against the wishes of the fans, is problematic, because neither of those matches really mean anything.

• Paid Members

Maybe easier typed than done, of course, but a great way to battle this is for the rest of the year create a babyface all types can get into. They kind of ruined Reigns at the start of the year with some right hokey Cena-esque material, which was then made worse when they had Bryan show up at the Rumble. Pitcos seems to think that type of fan will revolt against the WWE hand picked bloke no matter what they do (and he may be right), but they didn't half ruin Reigns with a couple of months of some brainless decisions. They've got to be smarter and make cooler babyfaces, essentially. Babyfaces that don't say "sufferin' succotash" and wink at the camera after a poor line. Not sure Vinnie Mac has it in him at his old age - it's been two years of the fans turning on his original choices.

Totally agree with this. It's their job to find and/or make a guy who appeals to everyone. And it's not like it's particularly difficult if they actually get their act together. Look at Dean Ambrose. Everyone loved him before they turned him into a chump.

I thought the crowd were fantastic, roman got booed out the building during his entrance and brock got a huge pop.

I was hoping for a cash in but did not expect it to go down in that way, people say the wwe are out of touch me included but when they book a main event to there biggest ppv in that way i think it shows that we couldn't be more wrong, brock is a legit bad ass and will kick the cunt out of you and he needs to be booked in that manner, really excited for raw tonight which is the first time in years ive said that.

Long live rollins as champ and he should be booked with longevity because as he proved last night he can go with the best of them and deliver true holy shit moments, i think he has been the best on raw for months and has completely overshadowed the top guys for quite some time.

It's not a case of one show, it's the culmination of existing stories and the start of months of new business. They should be building for WM a champion who will make them money night in and night out for months. I'm question questioning whether they are now scared to do that because of the reactions on one show when the audience is different to the bread and butter. It's far from a simple answer.

That's the problem they've got. The people who are first in line for PPV/TV taping tickets to boo the hand-picked babyface stars are buying those tickets whether their undersized darling who WWE hateznburiez is being pushed or not. WWE will always make the same amount of money from those fans whether they cater to them or not. The same isn't true of the casual fans who are only buying tickets to shows if the big muscleman hero is on it, but the big muscleman hero is always going to be booed on the big events. They're going to be partly fucked either way. If they do get scared every time and bow to those fans, wrestling will always be a bit stuck at that level -- but if they can get the network stable and profitable, they can survive and even thrive without moving forward anyway.

Wait, are you saying that babyfaces should win all the matches because that's what the fans want?

He seems to be saying they'd have cheered a Roman Reigns win if only Sting had beaten Triple H and Big Show hadn't won the battle royal, or something.

Archived