The Ultimate Fighter - American Top Team vs The Blackzilians

David

• Paid Members

good scrap this week between Coy & Luque. Luque seems a decent prospect, go in and beat a guy like Coy who never stops attempting takedowns was impressive, i've seen Coy fight quite a lot and he's a bit of a Jon Fitch in that he may not be overly exciting but he's probably one of the most challenging types of fighters to face, some people just can't deal with that pressure, Luque did and i thought he was the first two rounds despite it going to a third.

More Dana weirdness this week, he still hasn't had a good word to say about anyone. My liking of the coaches has switched a little, im definitely favouring Lambert now, seems a miserable fuck but comes off more genuine that Glen Robinson who just seems like a weasily fuck. Not quite sure what his post-fight assessment was all about either 'Luque decided to play jiu jitsu that was a mistake', then in the next round he chokes Coy out using jiu jitsu, what the fuck?!

so yeh, it's still an odd season. There seems to be very little 'house' time, i aint sure how TUF did it in the past but no one really seems to be standing out as a personality, there's still several guys in the house who have had little to no screen time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Just me still watching this? Crazy fight this week & I believe the final is next Sunday? I've really enjoyed the gym vs gym dynamic, I'd be up for more seasons based on this format. Rashad continues to cement himself as one of my very fighters & people in the UFC. Dude oozes class.

Nope, I've been watching too! Fucking loving it! The whole gym dynamic has been great, and opens the door for other more interesting gyms to take part I think. I'm not too fussed about the owner feud right enough, but after hearing Lambert challenge Glen Robinson to a fight I thought I'd check his record, assuming he's a retired MMA fighter or something.

I can't find anything. 

All I keep coming up with is how Ricardo Liborio drafted him in to assist with financial support and business expertise when he started ATT, and that he was a former hotel executive.

I must be missing something, right? I mean, surely he's not just Glen Robinson but in better shape?

I was a bit surprised by Dana's dismissiveness about the Blackzilians' complaints about the referee, although I probably shouldn't be. I thought that fight should have definitely been stopped. Graves was taking a horrible beating on the ground without answering for ages. And yet Dana, rather than standing up for a fighter's safety, comes out with the whole, "nothing to complain about! ATT were the ones who were hard done by!". Ehh. Fair play to Graves, though, for having the internal instincts to get the job done even when his body had basically given out on him. I guess that's the whole point of training hard.

Anyway...

I've enjoyed the season in everything but the fact that the guys fighting in the Finale are being picked. If they do a new one, I think they should try to come up with a system that allows fighters to earn their place in the finale. Hayder looks like a lock for ATT and that's fair enough, but on the Blackzilians side there are going to be a lot of guys who never lost a fight who get left out in the cold. I know some people were bored of the normal tournament bracket (personally I wasn't), but at least it was fair.

• Paid Members

The knees to the body were starting to get genuinely worrying. I bet he was pissing blood for days after that!

All I keep coming up with is how Ricardo Liborio drafted him in to assist with financial support and business expertise when he started ATT, and that he was a former hotel executive.

I must be missing something, right? I mean, surely he's not just Glen Robinson but in better shape?

After all the shit he was talking about Robinson just being a business man & a fan with money etc it'd be hilarious if this were the case. I've been firmly onside with the Blackzillians since the first episode. Lambert just seems like a bitter dick.

• Moderators

There's a few bits of info in this story on Fox Sports, but it does appear Lambert is just a businessman who trained because he was a fan of MMA, but never fought.

"Actually I was just a big pro wrestling mark, which I still am, I fully admit," Dan Lambert, founder and owner of American Top Team in Florida, told FOX Sports recently. "I used to watch a lot of pro wrestling in Japan, and I used to tape trade with folks over there, and that's where the quasi-shoot promotions over there started in the early '90s like Pancrase and the UWF. 

"I used to get tapes and I would send them tapes of shows here, and I started to follow some of the quasi-submission wrestling shows that they put on over there, and then obviously the UFC started here and I started watching that right away."

Lambert, who was a hotel executive and lawyer by trade, was just a fan until he eventually discovered a promotion called Battlecade: Extreme Fighting that put on shows from 1995 until 1997.

This bit talks about grappling competitions, but the article only lists other names from Lambert's team as having competed.

"John Perretti's show started, 'Extreme Fighting,' and Conan Silveira was in their first show and he had a gym in Miami, and I said, 'I'm there.' So I went down to his gym and got my ass beat by some 15-year-old kid who weighed about 100 pounds less than I did my first day, and I said, 'I'm in!' and that's how I started," Lambert explained.

Lambert started training with Silveira, and before long they formed a grappling team that would travel all over the country for competitions. They never imagined it would turn into anything more than a bunch of friends gathering together to compete and do something they loved.

So, he's one of those arseholes who do a bit of training and start challenging other folk to fights simply because he can? What a dick!

I'd love for someone to pull him up on it when he does it. Imagine if Tyrone Spong offered to fight Lambert with one hand tied behind his back?

• Paid Members

I'm sure on that UFC Fighting For A Generation documentary someone mentioned that Dan Lambert was actually in the running to buy the UFC at one point. Must've been before the Fertittas swooped in. It fell apart for reasons I can't remember, nor be arsed to google.

I've missed all of this TUF. Like every second of it. I kept meaning to but then it got to where it didn't seem worth starting. I left it too late.

The finale card's got some decent fights on it so far.

Jake Ellenberger vs Stephen Thompson

Jorge Masvidal vs Cezar Ferreira

Michelle Waterson vs Angela Magana

Russell Doane vs Jerrod Sanders

Darrell Montague vs Willie Gates

Maximo Blanco vs Mike De La Torre

George Sullivan vs Marcio Alexandre Jr

Caio Magalhaes vs Josh Samman

Dan Miller vs Trevor Smith

Nothing special but I like the main event, Masvidal vs Ferreira could be decent and I'm really hoping Michelle Waterson destroys that horrible twat Magana.

• Paid Members

I've missed all of this TUF. Like every second of it. I kept meaning to but then it got to where it didn't seem worth starting. I left it too late.

It's worth watching the most recent episode just for the fight. I know, like me you're a sucker for people working the body. It's brutal.

• Paid Members

It's worth watching the most recent episode just for the fight. I know, like me you're a sucker for people working the body. It's brutal.

Definitely. Cheers I might as well Sky+ it. No UFC this week either so I should actually get around to watching it.

• Paid Members

This TUF finale may be the least talked about UFC card ever, first off i dont think anyone in the world is watching TUF...secondly its buried under UFC 189. This show is Sunday!

Im a few episodes behind cause of holidays, but im a catch up over the weekend.

Nathan Coy/Baby Monster was a belter on there a couple of weeks back, be very surprised if that doesnt pick up fight of the season. It sure wasnt flashy, but if you like a gritty, battle of attrition type fight you'll dig it.

• Paid Members

I completely forgot the finale was tomorrow until they mentioned it on the 189 weigh ins last night. What a total afterthought it's become. It was similar last year when they had UFC 175 on the Saturday then the TUF 19 finale on the Sunday. But at least that finale had Edgar vs Penn 3 which was getting a fair bit of discussion due to Penn's popularity. This card's getting fuck all sadly.

I really like Ellenberger vs Thompson though. Waterson vs Magana should be fun if it goes how I'm expecting.

Archived