The Ultimate Fighter - American Top Team vs The Blackzilians

David

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

What points system's that?

I haven't watched any of this yet. Might just start from this week. What episode are we on this week, two or three? I like the team vs team thing but I really don't give a fuck about the two coaches hating each other. Couldn't give less of a shit about that.

I like both teams though and there's some of my favourite fighters on both sides. Think I'll be rooting for the Blackzilians though. Can't go against Rashad.

Oh right. Was it just the elimination fights I've missed then? Not really bothered about them anyway, if I'm honest.

There wasn't any elimination fights this time around.

And the new system goes a little something like this;

Each team has eight fighters, their opponents will not be revealed until the weigh ins. There will be 12 fights in the first round and a fighter can fight up to three times or not at all.

The first 4 fights will be worth 25 points each, the next 4 fights 50 points each and the final 4 fights will be worth 100 points each. The team with the most points at the end of the 12 fights will earn $200,000. After that, they move to the finale. For a fighter to be eligible he must've fought two times during the regular season (12 fights). The winning fighter gets $300,000 for their gym.

• Paid Members

Cheers Dave.

Fucking hell, it sounds like the Starrcade Future Shock tournament with the convoluted point system. I'll give it a look though.

This bit though...

Each team has eight fighters, their opponents will not be revealed until the weigh ins.

How does that work? I must've misunderstood, surely? Do they all have to cut weight and be on weight for every weigh in just incase it's them fighting? That can't be right, can it? Sounds mental.

I'm digging the new concept of fight camps being used. It had been mentioned a few times on here in the past and I think it'll work. One thing with these camps that they're using is that the guys fighting aren't chumps. Usually in previous seasons the guys who were head and shoulders above the rest were the ones with ties to a legit, high level fight camp. This season we have sixteen of them.

The majority of them seem to be closer to actual UFC level than some of the lower end guys actually fighting in the UFC I think.

• Paid Members

Oh. That actually sounds like an interesting idea.

yeh, on the opening show. The one team had a guy act like he was gonna be the guy fighting around the house, dropping subtle hints, then at the weigh-in they pulled a swerve and a different guy stepped up to weigh in.

• Paid Members

watched Episode 2 this evening...not much to report really, other than that im still not liking this 'gym owners at war' dynamic, it doesn't help that neither are particuarly likable, especially Dan Lambert who comes off like a right prick.

Anyone else feeling that Dana White is being overly harsh with his critiquing of the two fights so far though? Thought the fight this week was decent enough, Buscape dominated by holding Uros down and dominating from top position but i thought Uros was active enough from the bottom to keep the fight semi-entertaining. It may help that the atmosphere is so hostile, it makes them kind of fight more interesting to watch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Just caught up with the first 2 episodes last night. Really liking the new format (anything new in TUF can only be a good thing) & add me to the list of people rooting for the Blackzillians.

One thing I noticed, Dana White looks like absolute shit. In the first episode it was much more prominent than the 2nd (where they'd seemingly put more make up on him). Has anyone who follows MMA 'newz' or gossip heard that Dana boozes heavily or likes doing coke? He looked like James Gandolfini did before he died.

• Paid Members

It's a weird ol' season.

Decent fight in epsiode 4, followed by Dana White bitching about how bad it was again. Not quite sure what Dana bad mouthing the fighters is doing to help the show to be honest, if it's warranted fair enough but i think he's being overly critical.

The whole points system on the show is just weird, what's the point in the first 4 fights meaning less than the second 4 fights? If ATT wins the next 2 fights it's even, so that makes 2 fights pointless, literally. I still like the team vs. team dynamic but the points thing is just silly.

I'm finding it hard to root for a team too, the focus is still primarily on the coaches, but neither guy is really worth rooting for. Lambert comes across as arrogant, and Glenn Robinson comes off like a weasil hiding behind his tough guy mates.

It's a weird ol' season.

Decent fight in epsiode 4, followed by Dana White bitching about how bad it was again. Not quite sure what Dana bad mouthing the fighters is doing to help the show to be honest, if it's warranted fair enough but i think he's being overly critical.

One thing I noticed, Dana White looks like absolute shit. In the first episode it was much more prominent than the 2nd (where they'd seemingly put more make up on him). Has anyone who follows MMA 'newz' or gossip heard that Dana boozes heavily or likes doing coke? He looked like James Gandolfini did before he died.

You two really know how to sell a show. Dana acting like an unreasonable dickhead for the umpteenth time is must-see TV ;)

In regards to Dana's health, it's probably years of promoting catching up to him. The guy has been doing this flat-out for over a decade now with few breaks. He said himself a few years back that he struggles with his weight, as his schedule is so demanding. 

I predict a time will come when Dana steps back and takes a less demanding role. Probably in the next 5 years or do (maybe even sooner). 

• Paid Members

:laugh: but that's what's happening. There's very little Dana in this season other than him popping up immediatly after a fight saying 'well, that sucked'. It's a bit strange.

Archived