Silver Vision Memories

Onyx2

• 5 months later...

The company that took over Clear Vision when it went into administration in 2013 itself went into administration a couple of months ago, with no chance of resurrection. So Silver Vision, in every sense of the word, is well and truly dead now. I've been working elsewhere so I wasn't there at the very bitter end, thankfully.

• Paid Members

I was listening to an Alex Shane podcast yesterday (one of the Fin Martin history ones) and he mentioned he was literally one of Silvervision's first ever customers when he bought a Hulk Hogan video the day the display stand went up in BHS when Silvervision launched.  What year would that have been, and when was Silvervision's most successful period?  I'm guessing the 1992 UK WWF boom would have been particularly lucrative?

I think 1989 was the first release year for SV in the UK, though I could be wrong, that was a long time before I started.

I wasn't there for the 1992 boom but I do know that from 2005 for a few years business was really good. 2005 was the year SV branched outside of the UK and getting the deal to distribute in mainland Europe was huge. It was around 2005 that WWE almost bought SV as they had plans to do all the home video distribution themselves, but they could never agree on terms so it stayed with SV.

I'm glad WWE didn't get their hands on SV. It's super sad everything associated with SV is now gone too.

So many great memories of ordering, speaking to some of the nicest people and always getting the best service possible. I still remember ordering through mail order in the 90's too. If only I could find my Bret Hart glasses I got from SV way back then......

• Paid Members

I remember buying the Bulldogs video in 2002 when WWF changed to WWE and Silvervision were forced to clear all their WWF stock so had a sale on everything.  Realising it was gonna be my last oppotunity to get that video I made the purchase, along with as much else as my budget as a 12 year old lad could afford.

I had the high-flyers video too (purchased years after release in a car-boot sale).  I can't remember what was on it but I imagine the "high-flying" won't have aged very well.

s_l1000.jpg

• Paid Members

Pretty sure it wasn't a Silvervision release but remember the video they called Off the Top Rope which had a line up of Yokozuna vs. Adam Bomb, British Bulldog vs. Jim Neidhart, Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart (from SummerSlam - fair enough) Lex Luger vs. Tatanka. Crazy stuff.

On 9/24/2017 at 7:09 AM, Porkchopcash said:

I'm sure it was Silvervision who were selling The Hulk Hogan video which i bought in 89. The other two they were selling at the time was a best of British Bulldogs and High Flyers which i think may have had the Blazer on the front.

I'm almost certain the first 3 WWF videos released in this country were "Hulk Hogan Real American", "WrestleMania's Greatest Matches" and "High Flyers". I remember first seeing them in Our Price.

The WM one had the main event from WM1, Battle Royale from WM2 (notably with all mentions of Bruno Sammartino removed from the commentary), Bulldogs & Tito vs Harts & Danny Davis from WM3, and Honky vs Beefcake from WM4.

Hogan tape had Hulk vs Andre in the Steel Cage, from WrestleFest '88, as well as Hulk vs Nikolai, Hulk vs DiBiase and Hulk vs Haku.

I never had the High Flyers tape. It didn't tell you the matches on the back of the tape so I was a bit suspicious of it. According to Amazon it contained the following matches:

05/10/88 Randy Savage vs. Virgil
03/12/88 The Jumping Bomb Angels vs. The Glamour Girls
07/09/88 The Rockers vs. The Conquistadors
05/09/87 Paul Roma & Jim Powers vs. The Shadows
01/04/89 Blue Blazer & Koko B. Ware vs. Danny Davis & Jose Estrada

• Paid Members

I often wondered if there was any rhyme or reason to how they chose the matches for a compilation release.  It shows how little WWF content we had back in the early 90s (and how hot it was) that they could throw together a load of shit matches on a tape and people like me would gobble it up just because it was WWF wrestling.

There was one tape called "Fan Favourites" which is a classic example of a collection of unrelated and unimportant matches being cobbled together into a tape release.  The premise of this (we were lead to believe...) was that fans would write in to Coliseum Home Video saying a match they would like to see.  It ended up with this tape, as if anyone would go to the effort of penning a letter to express how much they want to see Koko B Ware against Brooklyn Brawler.

20130212_152553.jpg

Could you imagine them today releasing a DVD called something like "Wildest Matches" and it just be five matches from a few house show tapings, with like Sami Zayn V Aiden English, Apollo Crews V The Miz etc? 

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

05/10/88 Randy Savage vs. Virgil
03/12/88 The Jumping Bomb Angels vs. The Glamour Girls
07/09/88 The Rockers vs. The Conquistadors
05/09/87 Paul Roma & Jim Powers vs. The Shadows
01/04/89 Blue Blazer & Koko B. Ware vs. Danny Davis & Jose Estrada

That's right. Was the first WWF tape I had, bought from Pitsea market. It's quite shit. 

In fact I still have it in the loft, unable to shift it in my last eBay clearout.

10 hours ago, bbabba said:

I often wondered if there was any rhyme or reason to how they chose the matches for a compilation release.

Come on now, be fair:

14 hours ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

the main event from WM1, Battle Royale from WM2, Bulldogs & Tito vs Harts & Danny Davis from WM3, and Honky vs Beefcake from WM4.

I think we can all agree that these were WrestleMania's Greatest Matches at that time.