Silver Vision Memories

Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

How successful were UMDs?  What was it like producing the actual physical discs? 

The production we wouldn't bother taking in house for our needs - luckily Sony were literally a mile down the road. They weren't stellar performers.

• Moderators

Superstar Billy Graham - in total BBFC wanted to take 15 minutes of footage out, and we thought that compromised the title too much so chose not to release it.

Christ, what were they looking to cut??  Considering what had been released without issue it's incredible that a title made up of archive footage would demand so many cuts.

I think they had problems with the bullrope matches.

• Awards Moderator

Superstar Billy Graham - in total BBFC wanted to take 15 minutes of footage out, and we thought that compromised the title too much so chose not to release it.

Christ, what were they looking to cut??  Considering what had been released without issue it's incredible that a title made up of archive footage would demand so many cuts.

I think there was some excess juice... and too much blood, hahhhahahahhahahahahahaa.

I just wanted to post my appreciation for Silver Vision and all the fabulous employees and staff that was responsible for giving us UK'ers the best experience that they could, with always faultless service.

I still remember being a kid in the early 90's and getting the Silver Vision catalog through the post, and sending off for the VHS that I want and for some Bret Hart glasses that I've kept all these 20+ years later (and can't find lol).

Thankyou and i certainly miss you.

P.S Thank you so much for the Tagged Classics series, nearly collected them all and still have them, along with most of my dvd collection I bought from Silver Vision.

God knows how much money I spent with you guys lol.

Edited by zep81

Great thread! Silver Vision is sorely missed.

Sorry for the load of questions that follows…

There were a couple of shows that got released “Exempt from classification”. How or why did they come about? I’m specifically thinking the Rock Bottom: IYH, which had violence, swearing and a striptease. How did that get away without at least a 15 rating?

The Elimination Chamber collection was renamed to Iron Will over here, was this due to distribution in Germany? How did you get around the title of the PPVs?

Why was the US named ‘Bloodbath’ cage matches DVD renamed and repackaged over here?

The extras on PPVs seemed to steadily decline, was there any reason behind this? Similarly with the inserts that were a nice addition to the packaging becoming rarer and rarer?

Edited by Ro_y Disco

• Awards Moderator

There were a couple of shows that got released “Exempt from classification”. How or why did they come about? I’m specifically thinking the Rock Bottom: IYH, which had violence, swearing and a striptease. How did that get away without at least a 15 rating?

Because SV told the BBFC it was a live sport release, which don't require classification. You can only get away with that game for so long.

The Elimination Chamber collection was renamed to Iron Will over here, was this due to distribution in Germany? How did you get around the title of the PPVs?

Yes, it was viewed as insensitive (I quite like 'Iron Will' as a title). Dunno how they were OK with the PPV name. The German censors are notoriously strict and some titles were blocked auf Deutsch.

Why was the US named ‘Bloodbath’ cage matches DVD renamed and repackaged over here?

BBFC. The red packaging and Bloodbath name was too provocative.

The extras on PPVs seemed to steadily decline, was there any reason behind this? Similarly with the inserts that were a nice addition to the packaging becoming rarer and rarer?

The extras were always provided by WWE. They stopped providing them. We kept requesting them (Raw stuff from the night after / before always went down well) but they didn't want to provide it.

The inserts are a simple case of money. They significantly eat into the profit margin of a DVD. There's no way you can jack up the price, so you cut down on the 'extras'.

• Paid Members

Not sure if it's true, but I've also read that some of the graphic surgery footage caused problems as well.

Not sure if it's true, but I've also read that some of the graphic surgery footage caused problems as well.

quick question, when in your house bad blood was released the bbfc had to cut a few seconds of footage, something about "out of the ring shenanigans" can you tell us what it was, i've checked the live version countless times and the only thing i can think of was when hbk collided with a camera guy, even then i still didn't notice the edit.

Edited by buba3d

Yes, it was viewed as insensitive (I quite like 'Iron Will' as a title). Dunno how they were OK with the PPV name. The German censors are notoriously strict and some titles were blocked auf DeutschRlimin.

I think they were always called No Way Out in Germany.

• Paid Members

WCW's 'World War 3' PPV used to be re-named 'War of the World Superstars' when it aired in German on DSF, for the same reasons.

Despite being a wrestling fan since 1991 or thereabouts, and buying mags like Powerslam, I was aware of Silver Vision as the distributor/publisher of the WWF tapes I saw in Smiths, Woolys and HMV but wasn't really aware of them as a mail order company like it seems many were. I must have been living under a rock.

It wasn't until I was using the Internet on a regular basis in the early 00s that I spotted their website. I think I bought off them twice: once when they were clearing out the old tapes/discs with the old logo on, and then again when they were closing down. Got some brilliant bargains there, and great service as they arrived in 2-3 days.

I was never one to buy the PPV DVDs or the Tagged Classics, but did get a lot of the documentaries and compilation sets, which were really well presented. You felt like you'd bought something good when you walked out with one of those.

• Awards Moderator

I was aware of Silver Vision as the distributor/publisher of the WWF tapes I saw in Smiths, Woolys and HMV

The demise of Woolworths nearly destroyed the company, they were that big of a distribution channel for us. DVDs finally being available in supermarkets brought it back.

I always thought HMV would have been the biggest distribution channel?

Did you ever get sales figures from the retail stores? I always wondered who the hell would buy WWE dvds from the likes of hmv at them prices?

I must have bought plenty of videos from woolies and WHS in the early 90's though.