So Excited, So Scared: The Saved by the Bell Retrospective

Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

Yeah Go Bayside is brilliant. The theories about what or where the Max is and how on earth it stays in business is hilarious.

Cannot wait to give this a read, I've been excited since Astro announced this all the way back.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

I've had the pleasure of seeing an early draft of this and I can say it's fan-fucking-tastic. It's classic Millard writing, both cutting and scatological with the occasional wrestling reference. A Benoit gag made Mrs Onyx choke with laughter. It's a great read, SBTB fan or not.

Diggers, I hadn't revisited the series since I first watched it yonks ago and got along with it just fine. I'm sure it would work just as well if you had recently watched so you can see if your views chime with Sickboy's.

• Moderators

Pre ordered.

It would probably be worth your time tweeting April Richardson about this at some point. She hosted a podcast with a load of comedians detailing each episode of SBTB and is a massive fan. She also seems to be a champion of DIY stuff (she used to run fanzines and shit). plus lived in the UK for parts of her youth. Also hopefully she'd retweet that shit and get you a shit ton of eyes on your work. 

Will do, cheers. I am aware of Go Bayside, but had to avoid it because I didn't want to be coloured by anyone else's observations.

As someone who hasn't seen an episode for 15+ years, is it best to start watching them again and then read it, or read it and then rewatch it?

Not to be a horrible fence-sitter, but either probably works out about the same. Some of the more insane things might be best seen unspoiled (or forgotten from the last time you watched them), while others will be better informed from all the INFO and ANALYSIS and STUFF in the book.

• Paid Members

Did you cover anything of Good Morning Miss Bliss? I've always meant to check it out but never gotten around to it. Maybe this will be the encouragement I need to hunt it down.

• Moderators

Did you cover anything of Good Morning Miss Bliss? I've always meant to check it out but never gotten around to it. Maybe this will be the encouragement I need to hunt it down.

I cover it in the section about the development of the shows, but don't go into the individual episodes. Good Morning, Miss Bliss was basically an extended pilot. I'm not sure there'd be an awful lot of worth in anyone watching Miss Bliss as an adult.

I cover it in the section about the development of the shows, but don't go into the individual episodes. Good Morning, Miss Bliss was basically an extended pilot. I'm not sure there'd be an awful lot of worth in anyone watching Miss Bliss as an adult.

All episodes of Good Morning Miss Bliss are on the US Netflix but are marked as Saved By The Bell series one. They are pretty awful TBH

• Paid Members

All episodes of Good Morning Miss Bliss are on the US Netflix but are marked as Saved By The Bell series one. They are pretty awful TBH

Watched one on YouTube the other day. The premise is good, hence SBTB but nobody was ever going to be interested in teacher's lives at teen level.

Also has the Lifetime movie been shown here yet. which is the behind the scenes look at the show and is supposedly controversial?.

It was on two weeks ago. It was shit.

Checked on the Sky guide earlier and it's on again tomorrow at 9am on Movies24 & Sunday at 12pm. I think it's based on Screech's autobiography, although the more controversial stuff he talks about in that isn't included. The reviews for the TV movie have basically said the same you have but will check it out anyway. In the promo picture I think the guy playing Slater looks more like a young Johnny Mathis. 

Good Morning Miss Bliss

Did this get a UK airing at the time, as I can't remember watching that but think I watched all the SBTB episodes and the College Years ones & the New Class which I think had Screech as a teacher, or a deputy head to Mr Belding?. 

• Moderators

What are the "Saved by the Bell" films like? Just that "SBTB: Hawai'n Style" is always recommended to me on the US Netflix and I'm so excited and scared.

Nothing to write home about, and weirdly 1950s in their set-up.

The Lifetime Movie is just a boring 90 minutes, because they don't embrace the shitness of it and go really big and camp, like Sharknado or something, so there are no real quotable moments, and all the changes they make to the story make it less interesting than what really happened. I guess there wasn't much they could use from Screech's book, considering 90% of it is him going on about how massive his cock is and how many "sluts" and "skanks" he's banged.

I will never, ever be clean after reading that.

Archived