Which is better, a Roku stick or Chomecast

Hounds Of Justice

• Moderators

What does the Roku do that Chromecast doesn't? I'm not familiar with it.

I bought the Chromecast for the hell of it because it was cheap also. It's been quite useful for watching stuff in bed on the TV from my phone/laptop. I was using a Xbox before but this is a little easier (and my brother was home for Christmas and took the Xbox to his room).

• Paid Members

Can someone fill me in on a Roku box, how does it work? I watched everything with my laptop hooked up to my TV, but now the laptop has packed in, I'm looking for an alternative. Cheers!

• Awards Moderator

A Roku has dedicated apps. If you don't have a smartphone / tablet / laptop / set-top box / smart TV with the associated apps for the service you want, then Roku can be used in place of that. You pay slightly more for that privilege.

A Chromecast is fairly 'dumb' in that regards - you broadcast a Chromecast enabled app or tab to it. It doesn't carry a service itself. 

If you have a bunch of gadgets that can run things like Netflix, iPlayer and WWE Network, get a Chromecast. If you don't, get a Roku.

Chromecast can do that - you can either cast an app, such as Netflix or YouTube directly, or you can cast the entire tab of the browser, AND there's a 3rd option that casts the whole screen, though it's still being worked on.

Chromecast is awesome.  Chromecast plus Hola! equals free Netflix US on my telly.  Chromecast plus Couch Tuner is how I watch most of my tv series nowadays; if it's not on Netflix UK or US, it'll be on Couch Tuner.

Also, Chromecast casts streams really well, so I can watch American Football on the telly.

Cheap as chips, and it works.

Just tab casting, but it works fine, even with HD material.  Same with US Netflix, by tab casting with Hola! enabled, you avoid the territorial lockout of the official Chromecast support.

• Paid Members

I've just seen this. If you're willing to spend a bit more, Intel do a stick that turns your TV into a Windows desktop.

http://ces.gizmodo.com/intels-150-hdmi-stick-turns-any-tv-into-a-windows-desk-1678550370?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

This looks like it will be a great piece of kit.

Having a Desktop PC permanently hooked up to the telly has always been better option than all these streaming devices which are always limited in one way or another by not having a native browser. You just always had to have the money, or a spare one lying around. This should resolve that.

Just tab casting, but it works fine, even with HD material. 

Does that depend on the device you're using -- ie does Chromecast have its own processor and whatnot mirroring the actions on the device, or is it literally just casting the display from the original device so an older tablet or phone will struggle with HD video?

With standard casting it's using the processor of the Chromecast; so you can cast Netflix from your phone and the phone is basically just a controller.

With tab casting it's just mirroring the tab - so your network has to stream it onto your computer and then off onto the Chromecast.

It's got a standard resolution mode if your PC can't handle it; my Mac is 3 years old and it runs HD no probs.

Archived