'British Wrestling Weekly' - tv show

Dr.Fever

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but I found 'British Wrestling Weekly' on Made In Cardiff tv channel  (Sky 134, Freeview 23, Virgin 159 - not sure if this channel is available in all tv regions)

I haven't seen it yet, I sky+ed it earlier, but it is on this channel a few times during the week

Mon 15 Dec 10am
Wed 17 Dec 10am
Thu 18 Dec 11am
Sat 20 Dec 4pm

Hopefully it is a good wrestling show, but hey.. anything on tv about british wrestling has to be a good thing,

• Paid Members

It’s syndicated on all the local Made TV channels. It has been mentioned but can't remember which thread—possibly the random thoughts thread.

Slightly off-topic, does anyone have a recording of an episode? Interested in seeing it as was going to watch it earlier today, but ended up being out when it was on.

Yeah its essentially random matches from NGW and whatever VHS alex has.

I'm sure they showed punk vs joe the other week.

It amazes me that these people don't get wrestling. British boxing and ufc know what makes wrestling work and have adopted it into their presentation.

• 1 year later...

This is the best wrestling show on telly at the minute IMO. Brilliant build-up around the matches and some great characters you can get behind. Noticed Alex Shane's media conpany are producing and he's commentating which can do it no harm. Bubblegum has been top for years now, Nathan Cruz is doing brilliantly and has clearly learnt so much working for Dixon and the lads, that scouse lad Gibson is class aswell. Puts some of the American weekly shows to shame tbh.

• Paid Members

Alex Shane's media conpany are producing and he's commentating which can do it no harm.

It's put me off for a fucking start.

I also like the use of Alex Shanes media "conpany". Freudian slip me thinks.

• Paid Members

I thought somebody on here said this shit was going on Sky 1 once it left Challenge TV?

Different show, from same people.

The one on Challenge TV was WrestleTalk TV, with a special 'British Wrestling Round-Up' show every month or so.

'British Wrestling Weekly' is NGW's weekly TV show that airs on many of the new 'local' TV stations (Sky 117; Freeview 8, I think). Mine is 'Made In Leeds'.

It's been going about a year now, and while I wouldn't go so far as to call it the best wrestling show on TV, I would agree that it is actually rather decent. The way they build up storylines from week-to-week, have video packages to remind you of the story so far and really make the week's matches have an interesting back-story are their plus-points.

It's quite far from perfect, but it's easily the best televised week-to-week domestic grappling show we've had, probably since WOS, and far superior to any British product that was on The Wrestling Channel. I actually don't even mind Alex Shane as lone commentator here (he's much better at getting his stories and important points across), particularly compared to his atrocious work as comedy heel co-commentator on that 'Fighting Spirit Wrestling' show (years old NJPW & AAA, redubbed in English).

Here's what I said about it on here last summer:

some notes on New Generation Wrestling (NGW), which is a promotion I haven’t really ever paid much attention to, but has recently piqued my interest.

They started running in the late 00s in a small community hall in a residential area on the outskirts of Hull, but attracted the eye of one Alex Shane and became the centre-piece of the British Wrestling Council movement as a strongly-branded, heavily-story-driven product. They outgrew the little recreation centre and started pulling big crowds to the AIRCO Arena and Ice Arena in the city, and, in addition to a regular smaller show circuit, now draw 1’000+ attendances to their big shows at Hull City Hall. They’ve also added Liverpool Olympia to their list, running there again in November.

I’ve so far only ever attended one of their events live, which was a fun Northallerton show about a year ago, but have recently started following the promotion more closely through the ‘British Wrestling Weekly’ television show which airs on many of the new local TV stations on Freeview 8/Sky 117 (I one I currently get is ‘Made in Leeds’), where I’ve been impressed with their storylines and overall presentation as a product you can follow, which builds to the key events. The recent ‘Ultimate Showdown’ in July, for instance, came over on TV as an unmissable event, with everything on the card having a backstory and having been build up to mean something. I’ve got that to look forward to in terms of my TV viewing coming up, as I’ve currently got about 6-weeks’ worth of the TV show stacked up in my Sky planner to catch up on (and, of course, I did miss this unmissable event in terms of attending live, since I was about 8-weeks behind on the TV and only started seeing the build-up after the show had actually happened...).

I also like their roster, which is a good blend of local names (Matt Myers, Dara Diablo, Sam Wilder, Caz Crash, Colossus, Liam ‘Lazarus’ Slater, Dan James etc.) and national stars (Rampage Brown, Nathan Cruz, El Ligero, Bubblegum, Mark Haskins, Martin Kirby, Zack Gibson, Stixx, London Riots etc.). Everyone has a distinguishable and recognisable character, as well as something understandable to do on each show. As I continue to watch the TV, I’ll start posting some reviews and notes in this thread, and look forward to adding NGW to my regular live attendance plans as and when I can going forward.

I might get stick for this, but do you know how I personally would best describe NGW? 2003 FWA, done to 2015 BritWres standards of scale and quality...

I still haven't made it to another NGW show, by the way, and am still about 8 weeks behind on Sky+...

As it happens, each new episode is available free for 7 days on YouTube before it moves behind the BWC pay wall.

Hi everyone,

Don't often get to post on here, but just to clarify a few things.

My problem with this show is it labels itself 'British Wrestling weekly' yet only features Alex Shanes promotions? hmmmmm

It is named British Wrestling Weekly as the casual person in the street (which we are aiming for with this programme) doesn't care about X,Y,Z when they are initially channel surfing. So the name of the show goes into the EPG and if they're just flicking, that's the first thing they'll see. And at the end of the day, yes it is New Generation Wrestling, it is exactly what the show says....British wrestling....weekly.

Some of the other comments in this thread were from 15 months ago when we'd just started the programme and were in the process of adjusting the NGW model to focus on the TV, so some old footage was used that kept the channels happy to see the 'big names'. Now the show is completely different from when the first episode aired. We're now on series 2 and nearly SEVENTY episodes in. The footage is all fresh, often aired from a week or two after it's filmed and focuses on character and stories as well as the in ring product.

I would hope you'd give it a fresh chance to try it out. We've left last week's episode up on YouTube for a little longer because of the great feedback. It has Zack Sabre Jr V Zack Gibson and the Gen-X final of Mark Andrews V Wildboar w/Gilligan Gordon V Bubblegum w/Chardonnay. Available here for now: https://youtu.be/u-RCPGzYXZQ

The full backlog of nearly 70 episodes is available on www.britishwrestling.tv or www.ngwuk.com. Series 2 is where it really kicks into gear I feel.

How up to date are the airings on the "Made In..." channels compared to the YouTube new episodes?

The Made channels are bang up to date. The YouTube new episode launches the exact same day as the Made showing (Saturday at 4pm) with a repeat usually shown on Sunday at 10am.

Just watched the ZSJ-Gibson show. Credit where it's due, it looks great. Better than ROH and TNA in a lot of ways. Personally feel they hammer a few tag lines and buzz words too much. I understand wanting to push that it is British wrestling to a point but it felt like it was said constantly. 'ZSJ is the best wrestler not signed to WWE according to WWE.com' and next week 'Cruz and Myers were childhood friends' are both things to mention but again they were said too much in my opinion. I wish Alex Shane would settle down a bit too. Think he was yelling from first bell to last without taking a breath.

Overall though was impressed and will try and keep up with it 

Archived