• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looking forward to him crowd funding a plane ticket for his mum to visit.

I'm beginning to think 'Good in Japan' might not be about the talent being the issue.

"King's Road" is like "Strong Style", in that it's more of a marketing gimmick than a defined style, but if I were to try and define it; King's Road was AJPW's house style under Baba, in the same

Posted Images

I won't spoiler it, other than to say there's been something of a landscape change, coming out of the Jingu event. First couple of matches were meh, the rest of the card was OK, but no more than that. Interesting visuals from the stadium itself, but the mix of a tame live crowd (as requested), some piped in fan noise, commentary from Kevin Kelly in the U.S and Chris Charlton from an office in Japan made it somewhat hard going, for me anyway. That said, I can happily watch raw footage without commentary, which ain't to everyone's taste. Charlton looks pretty much how he sounds. Massive glasses, with a head attached. G1 starts in around 3 weeks, then I guess we're pretty much done for the year...that's normally the case for me anyway...if not for you.

43 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

I won't spoiler it, other than to say there's been something of a landscape change, coming out of the Jingu event. First couple of matches were meh, the rest of the card was OK, but no more than that. Interesting visuals from the stadium itself, but the mix of a tame live crowd (as requested), some piped in fan noise,

The added crowd noise wasn't pipped in crowd noise exactly but the New Japan's Cheer Tool https://www.njpw1972.com/78391

Of all the things done during the pandemic, silence, small crowds clapping, pipped in crowd noise, music, idiots banging on plexy glass this was definitely the worst. it sounded like someone switching the radio on and off.

Thought Suzuki/Shingo was great, Takahashi/Ishimori good, the KOPW final was as pointless as the rest of the tournament and the main event was (the now becoming usual) Gedo bullshit.

Evil has been a disaster, not all his fault of course and i'm now more shocked when any one retains a title in New Japan

Edited by ultimo the great

I wasn't particularly up for the main event anyway. When the bullshit started, it pretty much lost me. How many times were ref's involved across the Title matches? Once would be one too many. Leave that nonsense out, or at least save it for something special.

I hadn't given it much or indeed any thought, but the current Champ makes a point. He wants to defend the I.C & IWGP Titles separately, whereas in recent months they've essentially been defended as unified belts. Part of the reason it hadn't dawned on me, is down to the stop-start nature of the year, with things re-arranged or dropped. Had events taken their normal course, it'd probably have been more apparent that we were effectively a (major) Championship down. The Champion has asked NJPW to clarify the situation & either allow him to fight for the belts separately or have them officially unified. At this point it doesn't particularly matter, but it will, as and when things become more 'normal'.

-edit-  Entirely agree with Ultimo the great's spoiler, which I would have brought up myself (in fact I did, earlier in the thread). I have no clue what they were thinking in the first place. Worst ever.

Edited by KingofSports

I think I mentioned this in the thread when Evil joined Bullet Club, It was more Bullet Club looking weak once shows restarted due to practically the whole group living abroad.

The whole point of Evil’s title reign was to put over Bullet Club as still being strong even though White, Kenta, GOD and Fale weren’t present.

Kevin Kelly tried to hammer that point home once Ishimori won too.

Well, it failed miserably. When they show previous IWGP Champions on the 'tron' prior to Title matches, his mug's gonna be up there. It might as well have been YOSHI-HASHI or Yujiro. EVIL has nothing going for him. Why is he evil for a start? I get nothing coming from him. Nothing to hate, nothing to like, just a typical strong-style wrestler with no particular characteristics. I mentally block out at least 50% of the English commentary anyway, particularly win/loss records, but things like Kelly trying to build up a stable, would go over my head anyway. It's just noise. That's on me, but unlike most commentators, I prefer to focus on what's going on in the ring, as opposed to what happened last month or what might happen in future...albeit that it's part of their job.

3 hours ago, KingofSports said:

Well, it failed miserably. When they show previous IWGP Champions on the 'tron' prior to Title matches, his mug's gonna be up there. It might as well have been YOSHI-HASHI or Yujiro. EVIL has nothing going for him. Why is he evil for a start? I get nothing coming from him. Nothing to hate, nothing to like, just a typical strong-style wrestler with no particular characteristics. I mentally block out at least 50% of the English commentary anyway, particularly win/loss records, but things like Kelly trying to build up a stable, would go over my head anyway. It's just noise. That's on me, but unlike most commentators, I prefer to focus on what's going on in the ring, as opposed to what happened last month or what might happen in future...albeit that it's part of their job.

I wish we could super impose Charlton's knowledge w Gambino's voice. He has this whiny, nasal thing going on. 

• 2 weeks later...

G1 Blocks have been announced as it starts on Saturday 19th

A Block: Kota Ibushi, Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii, Shingo Takagi, Yujiro Takahashi, Taichi, Minoru Suzuki, Jeff Cobb, Will Ospreay, Jay White

Ehd4VtJU0AAfsIF?format=jpg&name=small

B Block: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto, Toru Yano, Yoshi Hashi, Sanada, Tetsuya Naito, Evil, Zack Sabre Jr, Juice Robinson, Kenta

Ehd4tjnVgAApGJ-?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by TildeGuy~!
Just now, The Cutting Edge said:

Not a surprising line up which is due to there roster being pretty stale and samey.

I know it's been mentioned before but an AEW deal would really benefit both companies.

It'd benefit New Japan way more than it would AEW.

AEW has enough on its hands right now.