NJPW World

Sphinx

White has grown this year, yeah he’s not in the god tier of new japan workers, but he works well and has good to really good matches with them all. I like he’s a bit sneaky and cheaty to cover his shortcomings, it’s what a good heel champion should be

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

They’ve confirmed Jay White will defend against the New Japan Cup winner at MSG so there’s your main event set. 

Ah cheers, missed that entirely. Well we'll see in which case, but if Okada is a the challenger then I definitely see a title change. If it's Ibushi, given his freelancer status, who knows! 

Edited by mim731

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Supremo said:

Out of interest though, I wasn't watching at the time, but some people have noted that Okada's first push was similar in that people didn't think he was ready for it. Is that true?

14 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Pretty much yea, won the title at The New Beginning show from Tanahashi after only making his debut coming back from excursion at the Wrestle Kingdom show.

11 hours ago, Yakashi said:

People keep justifying it by comparing it to Okadas first win but that doesn’t work for me. White has no presence or believability at all. He’s a typical “guy playing pro wrestler”. 

Big thing with Okada was that the match with Tana was fantastic, told a story, and by the time he nailed the Rainmaker, he'd convinced me that he could win the match. People not buying that someone can become champ can be overcome if they convince in the doing so - I haven't watched it yet, but how did the match come across, i.e. did Switchblade "make you believe" in the process of putting Tanahashi down?

White winning definitely wasn’t a shock, you could tell they were building to it through the night just by listening to the commentary.  

Him beating Okada at Wrestle Kingdom though was, considering he dominated the feud beating both Okada and Tanahashi In tags like what, 8 times in a row?

It made me believe yea but I’ve believed ever since his first match in the G1 last year that he’d be champion within a year, Tanahashi was only ever gonna be a transitional champ, there’s no way they could have booked White/Omega as the main event of Wrestle Kingdom(even though there was a story there) as 2 foreigners headlining the big one wouldn’t have sold and would have left the Japanese fans with a sour taste in their mouths.

Here’s the presser after the match

It’s been a while since we’ve had a heel as champ in New Japan so I’m looking forward to it

Sincerely 

Jay White Mark

Edited by TildeGuy~!

Seems we may have some news coming about the UK show

A major announcement regarding our event on 31st August, in London will take place on 14th February at 12.00 JST! 

Hands up if you've seen our homepage, where you can sign-up to our mailing list to get advanced access to any ticket sales!

www.Njpwuk.Com

16 minutes ago, MVP RULZ said:

Seems we may have some news coming about the UK show

A major announcement regarding our event on 31st August, in London will take place on 14th February at 12.00 JST! 

Hands up if you've seen our homepage, where you can sign-up to our mailing list to get advanced access to any ticket sales!

www.Njpwuk.Com

Cheers for this

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Louch said:

3am our time. Great time for a uk announcement. Some things on their expansion they just lack real common sense with 

Maybe they're assuming everyone will be up late shagging, since it's Valentine's Day, and wrestling fans are notorious for being successful with women.

Loved White/Tanahashi. Another step up in their series of matches. The fact that White's matches always seem to end before the audience gets the chance to get completely hot for the babyface in the closing stretch is great. Not sure about the complaints that White isn't ready or isn't credible enough for the belt. He's a guy that's been heavily pushed since his Switchblade character debuted. He's on the roll of a lifetime at the moment and he's always looked strong against Tana in their matches against one another. Him winning the belt here was absolutely the right decision, as it opens up far more paths for potential matches than Tanahashi holding onto the belt would. The story has been told with Tanahashi, it was culmimated at Wrestle Kingdom and it makes sense for New Japan to use him to elevate White as their new top gaijin.

No surprise to see Big Match Fale carry Okada to another *** 1/2 match.

In terms of direction, I could see Ibushi winning the NJC, but I'm also finding it very difficult to imagine a Dominion main event without Okada being in it. You could of course have Okada lose to somebody that isn't Kota, but that's going to have to be a pretty quick rehab job in time for Dominion. I'm also finding it very doubtful Naito's going into the G1 holding the IC belt, so I wouldn't look past Ibushi/Naito at MSG either, probably the two biggest favourites of the Western fans. And then you factor in the rumour that Omega can work New Japan under his AEW contract and the last time he and Ibushi were in the ring, Omega got the pin and I've heard worse reasoning for title matches. It's a genuinely very interesting landscape at the top.

At the moment I'll predict Okada cleans up in the NJC, wins the HebbyQ strap at MSG, defends against either Omega or Ibushi at Dominion and carries it through to a WK14 main event against Naito.

• Paid Members

That post-match press conference promo really exposes Jay White's biggest weakness. He reeks of a guy playing pro-wrestler. It doesn't feel authentic at all. You can see in his eyes that he's performing what he thinks he should be doing and overthinking everything. It's something you take for granted when there's so many good guys out there who come across so naturally. It makes it all the more obvious and jarring though when someone is so clearly lacking in that ability.