NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, AdamTH17 said:

If any two guys from AEW have the pull to work NJPW events, it's going to be them.

The goodwill from New Japan's side is going to be really tough to judge from the outside. tsve was asking me earlier about the apparent lack of farewell for Omega and my reply was ;

"He's leaving for his mate's vanity project after they built him for 18 months and put the belt on him over Okada at the peak of his powers. FUCKITY BYE"

2 minutes ago, air_raid said:

The goodwill from New Japan's side is going to be really tough to judge from the outside. tsve was asking me earlier about the apparent lack of farewell for Omega and my reply was ;

"He's leaving for his mate's vanity project after they built him for 18 months and put the belt on him over Okada at the peak of his powers. FUCKITY BYE"

Another good point. In fairness though I don't think they could've had him not go over Okada at that stage. I really don't think Gedo had many other options by the time Dominion rolled around. It was too soon for the Naito rematch, he'd just beaten Tanahashi, there was nobody else that would look credible in their second biggest show of the year. Losing to Okada would've just put him straight back to square one. 

New Japan certainly hold the cards with this one though. You know that AEW would be salivating for the chance to work with them, but they can't offer the benefits that ROH can at the moment.

Going to chuck NYD on later, have already had most of the big events spoiled but will see how they translate into viewing. Downloaded AJPW's New Year's show as well, first time I'll be watching them though I recognise some of the names on the card.

10 minutes ago, air_raid said:

I think the lack of farewell for Omega is mostly based on the fact that neither side is 100% sure if it's actually "farewell" and not just a "see you soon". AEW and NJPW could very well strike up a working agreement that could see Omega working for both companies.

5 minutes ago, I like root beer said:

Please may someone put up the New Years dash card in order without spoilers. Tried googling but it comes up with results. Thanks 

Romero/SHO/YOH vs DBS/Archer/Iizuka

Owens/Yujiro vs Henare/Honma

Finlay/Juice vs Best Friends

Goto/Ishii/Ospreay vs Cobb/KUSHIDA/Nagata

Ishimori/GoD vs Taguichi/Makabe/Yano

Despy/Suzuki/Taichi/Kanemaru/ZSJ vs Naito/BUSHI/EVIL/SANADA/SHINGO

Fale/Gedo/Switchblade vs Tana/Okada/YOSHI-HASHI

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, kidzero said:

I honestly think omega should stay in njpw but the draw of the fame and money wwe offers is hard to turn down.

You've read nothing I've written about Kenny then. WWE would be his third choice by a country mile unless they were signing Kota too and they could go on the road together.

Ospreay/Ishii/Goto vs Nagata/Cobb/KUSHIDA was a great match. Right bunch of different styles in that one. I know the direction is Nagata/Ishii but I wouldn't half be interested in seeing Nagata vs Ospreay for the NEVER strap. KUSHIDA heading off now wouldn't surprise me at all. Clean loss at the Dome, clean loss to Ospreay the next night, and seemingly nothing built for him as of yet for the New Beginning shows.

Good show though. Wasn't as noteworthy as previous years but still breezed by. TAICHI is fine for Naito's first challenger, ZSJ/Suzuki vs EVIL/SANADA was my prediction for Wrestle Kingdom so I'm looking forward to that. They've built Switchblade vs Tanahashi well in the sense that either result wouldn't hugely shock me at this point. 

Edited by AdamTH17

3 hours ago, air_raid said:

You've read nothing I've written about Kenny then. WWE would be his third choice by a country mile unless they were signing Kota too and they could go on the road together.

Just your opinion pal... Anything could happen maybe one of his goals in life could be to wrestle at wrestlemania or be Intercontinental champ only time will tell and I honestly  dont think he should sign with aew 

Edited by kidzero

Pretty much every interview I've read or seen with Kenny suggests that he'd only go to WWE with certain assurances regarding his direction that WWE wouldn't give in a million years. Also if Kota going over is something he'd be after, well, I'd imagine Kota has already made that more than a little awkward all by himself.

If Kenny is true to what he says regarding changing the industry a blank canvas would probably make most sense. 

57 minutes ago, kidzero said:

Just your opinion pal... Anything could happen maybe one of his goals in life could be to wrestle at wrestlemania or be Intercontinental champ only time will tell and I honestly  dont think he should sign with aew 

I'd wager a large, large amount of money that arguably the most pushed gaijin of all time in New Japan doesn't go to sleep dreaming about going 12 minutes at Wrestlemania to win the IC strap from Dean Ambrose. He's fully aware of his value in Japan. He wouldn't be afforded anywhere near as much creative influence over his work in WWE, which appears to be a big thing for him.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, kidzero said:

Just your opinion pal... 

NO. A considered viewpoint of the man based on following the man's career for ten years and watching an absolute ton of interviews from him both from wrestling and the world outside wrestling (e.g. video games) and from real life conversations in Tokyo with other wrestlers who've spent personal time with Kenny and Kota both.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed Wrestle Kingdom - I'm glad most of the midcard matches were shorter and less overblown than usual, it meant I wasn't burned out on "epics" and finisher kick-outs by the main event, though on the flipside it means that, outside of Ibushi/Ospreay, I probably won't remember much of the undercard in a few months' time. That lack of "epics" made me dread that the main event would be an Omega hour long finisher-fest, and I'm pleasantly surprised it was a far more logically paced, well constructed match than that. Tanahashi is far, far better at reigning in Omega's worst instincts than Okada was, and just one of the best big match wrestlers going. 

The gulf in ability, or personality, between Tana and Omega was still apparent, though. The match told its story perfectly, but on Tana's part it was all through relatively simple body language and selling, whereas Omega was gurning and screaming plot points as usual, subtlety be damned.

The lack of a New Japan Rumble meant New Year's Dash wasn't as fun as usual, no mad tag matches full of complete randoms. A real lack of the big moments, too - normally it's the show that gives you the big storyline note for the coming months, as well as setting up most of the major angles. Revisiting the Jay White/Tanahashi feud so soon didn't fit that bill, nor does LIJ/Suzuki-Gun playing at WWF 1998 Gang Wars, or the shocking revelation that the two shittest members of Bullet Club are back in Bullet Club, having never really left in the first place.

The most telling thing was that, both shows viewed together, it really didn't feel like a promotion in the midst of growth and international expansion. The amount of title changes, and so many of them being to shift the focus on to NJPW lifers and guys not likely to get signed elsewhere, felt like them pressing the reset button, and hunkering down to play it safe. 

New Beginning main matches announced!

Saturday 2nd February

Sanada Vs Minoru Suzuki

Evil Vs Zack Sabre Jr

Kazuchika Okada and Hitoshi Tanahashi Vs Bad Luck Fale and “Switchblade” Jay White

Sunday 3rd February 

IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Team Titles

Bushi and Shingo Takagi(c) Vs El Desperado and Kanemaru

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Titles

Evil and Sanada(c) Vs Minoru Suzuki and Zack Sabre Jr

IWGP Intercontinental Title

Tetsuya Naito(c) Vs Taichi

Monday 11th February 

IWGP Jr Heavyweight Title

Taiji Ishimori(c) Vs Taguchi

Kazuchika Okada Vs Bad Luck Fale

IWGP Heavyweight Title 

Hiroshi Tanahashi(c) Vs “Switchblade” Jay White

Also Iluzka will be having his retirement match on 21st February

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Kazuchika Okada Vs Bad Luck Fale

FOR FUCK'S SAKE. Why is Little Kazu constantly lumbered with this tub of lard???? I bet he does the job again too.