NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

The Tanahashi is hurt situation goes right back before the 2017 G1 doesn't it? The potential title change to Suzuki makes sense, Tanahashi has been announced for Rev Pro in New Orleans over the WrestleMania week, but Suzuki has been in Rev Pro in November and is again in a couple of weeks, so could replace Tana there too.

• Paid Members

This Jericho deal has been an absolute home run. For years I always planned to start watching New Japan, but there was so much product to keep up with from the US that I never got round to it. Jericho’s involvement was enough for me to finally take the leap and subscribe to New Japan World. Wrestle Kingdom was my first New Japan event and it blew my fucking mind. Not only was the Jericho vs. Omega match awesome, but there were at least four other matches on the show that were match of the year candidates for me and a whole roster of guys who I’m now obsessed with. I’ve spent the days since Wrestle Kingdom going back through all the January 4th Dome shows and they’ve all been awesome. They’ve got a subscriber for life in me.

Jericho’s podcasts this past week, one with Don Callis and one with Kenny Omega himself, have been absolutely fascinating as well. The Omega one in particular is a genuine revelation, hearing two guys dissect the feud and match just days afterwards. This genuinely feels like something they need to start doing on the WWE Network. Enough of this pseudo-shoot stuff. Drop the shit entirely and do stuff like this, where guys go into detail about putting angles and matches together. We got a tiny hint of it when they showed Vince being disappointed with Kevin Owens vs. Jericho in that Owens documentary. That’s the future of this business, right there. Imagine if the week after Wrestlemania the Network featured guys sitting together and talking about the matches they just had. It’d be awesome. Fuck, I’d even love to know what Randy Orton, Bray Wyatt and Vince thought of their shit show.

Edited by Supremo

Finally got round to watching Wrestle Kingdom, and it was a good show overall. I tend to find the first half of WK is usually quite poor and you then get a really good second half, but this flowed quite well from beginning. Well, until Jay White turned up. What a fucking jabronis that guy is. It's Miles Teller cosplaying as Seth Rollins

Really basic dumbass question here; if you sign up for NJPW World can you configure it to be in English?

Also, what is the British price? I got to the billing screen, which just said 999 Yen, which is about 6 quid? Is there any joining fee or owt?

So, basically, is it worth it? How much does it cost? And is it easy for a non-Japanese speaker to use?

Also, if all above is a yes, what’s the show schedule on there? Basically, I’ve been meaning to get into NJPW again for ages (used to be into it maybe a decade ago when I’d just get DVD’s delivered) but haven’t known how. But now I pretty much watch no WWE, I’m open to another wrestling company taking its place rather than fall out of watching altogether.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

26 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Really basic dumbass question here; if you sign up for NJPW World can you configure it to be in English?

Also, what is the British price? I got to the billing screen, which just said 999 Yen, which is about 6 quid? Is there any joining fee or owt?

So, basically, is it worth it? How much does it cost? And is it easy for a non-Japanese speaker to use?

Also, if all above is a yes, what’s the show schedule on there? Basically, I’ve been meaning to get into NJPW again for ages (used to be into it maybe a decade ago when I’d just get DVD’s delivered) but haven’t known how. But now I pretty much watch no WWE, I’m open to another wrestling company taking its place rather than fall out of watching altogether.

They have an option to switch the site to English, plus Chrome will translate it too. It's not perfect English but it's easy enough to understand where you need to go/what you need to select to get where you want. I use the Firestick app and that's in English and pretty easy to navigate.

It works out at about £6.80 a month. No joining fee.

There are plenty of shows on there - too many to keep up with for me! Rather than weekly shows like Raw and Smackdown they have lots of "Road To..." shows which are shows building up to the next big event (PPV, if you will). They also have a few tournaments (Best of Super Juniors, G1 Climax, etc.) which are done in a round robin format so you get loads of shows there too. All the big shows now have English commentary too. 

I think it's well worth it even if you only watch the big events. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Also, if all above is a yes, what’s the show schedule on there? 

As an example, live shows for January and February this year:

January

3rd: Three matches from their version of Axxess

4th: Wrestle Kingdom (biggest show of year)

5th: New Year Dash ("'Raw after Mania")

19th: FantasticMania (joint shows in Tokyo with CMLL)

21st: FantasticMania

22nd: FantasticMania

27th: New Beginning Night One (Roughly equivalent to the WWE "PPV" of the month, but split into three shows)

28th: New Beginning Night Two

February:

5th: Road to the New Beginning (Korakuen Hall show with tag matches building up the next big show)

6th: Road to the New Beginning (same again)

10th: New Beginning Night Three

23rd: Honor Rising (joint shows in Tokyo with ROH)

24th: Honor Rising

On the current schedule, they'll have done 22 full live shows by the end of March.

Edited by JNLister

On the topic of the search function, is it just extremely flawed and doesn't give accurate results in general? Is there a way around this? 

For example, I was hoping to catch some of Fergal Devitt's older matches from his BOSJ tournaments - but searching 'Devitt' only has two pages worth of results. Only 3 matches from the entire 2010 year for example? Are there a tonne of shows that haven't been uploaded?

• Paid Members

I think that is everything. I clicked on the Devitt tag on one of the results and that brought up the same number of matches. There's way more stuff from after they launched the service. Before that is mainly the full cards from Dome shows and then main events of major shows.