NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

My NJPW viewing in total amounts to what little of it I watched back when itnwas on The Wrestlig Channel. I subscribe to the Observer and listen to their show reviews, however I never go out of my way to see any of the New Japan stuff that they are talking about. I didn't have time to watch the whole show but I wanted to watch Jericho/Omega unspoiled. It was my first viewing of Kenny Omega in any form as well. 

The match went way above my expectation level. I thought they delivered a fantastic story, with great performances from both men. In the end I was very glad that I made sure to watch it, as well as that I watched it without knowing thw result at the time. Two thumbs up.

If I was to be critical of anything about my experience of the only NJPW match I've seen since about 2005, it would be:

Kenny's attire for his entrance - shocking. 

I don't get the fuss about Callis as an announcer. So I'll add him to Ranallo and McGuinness as other guys that get raved about on commentary that I can't take to. 

The V-Trigger. Knowing nothing about how Kenny uses this move in his matches, it looked like it should kill you stone dead. Quite clearly, Chris Jericho has a very hard skull. It's almost too strong a move to be an equivalent of a superman punch, lariat, uppercut, etc, yet it doesn't appear to be any more effective than any of those. I guess because I was unaware that it's primarily just a set up move, it helped me buy into the near falls more. 

So if that's the only negatives I have about the match then there's nothing really to complain about. A sterling job all round, and they had me hook, line and sinker, down that closing stretch. 

The fans went mental for Omega saving Ibushi from Cody at New Years dash.

Jay White Vs Kenny Omega has been set up nicely and Im looking forward to the match between Omega/Cody when it’s finally booked also Tanahashi/Suzuki should be good 

Also Jericho/Naito confirmed 😊

9 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

The fans went mental for Omega saving Ibushi from Cody at New Years dash.

Jay White Vs Kenny Omega has been set up nicely and Im looking forward to the match between Omega/Cody when it’s finally booked also Tanahashi/Suzuki should be good 

Also Jericho/Naito confirmed 😊

It seems they have booked a decent set of matches to headline the 3 New Beginnings matches. I am guessing this is the start of The Elite leaving Bullet Club, which I think is due now.

Wrestle Kingdom thoughts\:

Junior Tag opener was alright. Pretty much matched my expectations. Young Bucks in NJPW are so much easier to watch than say any of their work in PWG, or ROH. Found it hilarious they were playing the injury angle after typically taking a stupid bump when a simple shitcan through the ropes would have done the exact same. Sho and Yoh are coming on a lot, and this was probably their first really notable match. Crowd were actually hotter than I thought they'd be which was a nice surprise. Good stuff. Maybe shave a couple of minutes off this and you've got a great opener.

The tag gauntlet also pleasantly surprised. Didn't overstay its welcome and had some nice, tight sequences. ZSJ looked like a killer being able to choke out Rowe, and Yano countering Taguichi's flying arse attack with a pin was another nice spot. Still think that Ishii and Juice in particular deserved more than this but oh well. 

Cody continues to be a drag in Japan. One of the highlights of this show was seeing all the Elite lads (Cody, Scurll and Bucks) trying to get their "ELITE" shtick over to minimal response. Heartwarming stuff. Wasn't anything poor by any stretch of the imagination, but I could only hold my interest whenever Ibushi was doing his cool shit. Cody works hard and all, but the WWE style of wrestling he insists on utilising every match isn't doing him any favours in this company. I will admit the Cross Rhodes onto the floor really impressed me, though Ibushi's willingness to splatter his brains didn't. Solid enough undercard, but could have been so much more.

Fell asleep during K.E.S and LIJ and wasn't interested enough to watch the end. Glad we've hopefully got some fresh tag matches coming up though.

Goto/Suzuki was awesome. Really awesome. Two hard fuckers whaling the piss out of one another for almost 20 minutes. Really, really great. I was prepared to get really annoyed with the pointless Suzuki-Gun interference but at least it didn't really have much impact in the grand scheme of things. Goto getting another WK moment was nice, I wouldn't complain to see him be mixing it up with Tanahashi for the next few months on the back of this performance. More of this Suzuki please.

Four-way was what it was. There were more good spots than shit spots, so it'll get a thumbs up from me. I still maintain through the exchanges they shared that Will vs Hiromu having a one on one match would have been a far better option, but I'm positive we'll see that sometime this year after it was Scurll who ate the pinfall. 

White vs Tanahashi to me can only be considered a failure. The match was fine, in a vacuum, but as one of your featured Wrestle Kingdom bouts it really didn't live up to expectation, and that's a slight on both men. White had nothing about him really. I was optimistic about him after some great matches of his I'd seen on the indies, but he was really lacking in conviction, impact and general charisma. His control segments were really bland and did nothing in the way of getting him any heat. They sort of booked themselves into a corner here. You don't really want White to lose in his debut, clean as a whistle, but then giving Tanahashi two losses at the Dome back to back would take away some of the value that comes from beating him. White can for sure come back from this, but it's set him off on the complete wrong foot.

I liked Jericho/Omega lots! It was the best match that anyone was going to get out of Jericho at this stage of his career and they managed it really well. Omega was the perfect foil for Jericho and managed to pace the match excellently to make up for the athletic shortcomings of Y2J. The right guy won as well I think. A loss would have hurt Kenny far more than it has done Jericho.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

I thought K.E.S vs LIJ was great. Two massive dudes beating the shit out of everyone. 

Same here, a nice change of pace and made LIJ into underdogs which was surprising. A decent match and a nice contrast to the Jnr tag title match.

• Paid Members

As much as I like Kenny Omega in the ring, is he much of a promo? I haven't seen much of his promos but just going by his little bit with Jay White at New Years Dash, he didn't impress me. Is he known as a good promo? If so, any suggestions on any standouts?