NJPW World

Sphinx

2 hours ago, Love-Wilcox said:

How good is Okada ? His matches against Elgin and Sanada would be MotY candidates if it was any other year.

Pretty much everything in the G1 so far has been good to great!

He's revoltingly good. He has no right to be that good at... 29 is he? It's ridiculous. I know it's silly to say it so early in someone's career but unless he does a Shibata he's on track for a one-and-done Hall of Fame spot just on ring work. I can't think of many wrestlers in this generation that are better, just a couple on his level, and they're all more seasoned and experienced.

• Paid Members

It is absolutely astonishing how good he has been this year alone. A strong argument for it being, match quality-wise, the best World Title reign in recent memory.

What I love about it is that he does it all without much in the way of a "moveset"; he's putting on the best matches in the world with a clothesline, a dropkick, and a flying elbow drop. That should be enough to hammer home that you don't need a hundred moves a match to be good at wrestling, but you just know there'll be people raving about him while in the next breath criticising Roman Reigns for "only having five moves". Doesn't bloody matter, does it!

The other, less slightly spiteful, thing I love about it is that he very much has his opponent's match. Against Shibata, he very much wrestled a Shibata match. Against Omega, he works a Kenny Omega match. He's extremely adaptable, without losing what makes his schtick work.

He's still ridiculously young, too, so it's going to be fascinating to see how he adapts and changes as he gets older, if he has a long career. I see people occasionally saying he's already one of the best of all time, and I don't think you can make that argument without taking into account adaptability and longevity, but the prospect that we could still have him around for another 15-20 years is pretty bloody exciting. Who knows what a grizzled veteran Okada could be like?

Is there a list anywhere of the matches worth catching this year? I did the whole tournament for the first and probably last time ever last year and it completely burned me out on wrestling despite the matches being good.  I'm hoping to catch just the best ones this year. 

17 hours ago, scotty_1120 said:

Is there a list anywhere of the matches worth catching this year? I did the whole tournament for the first and probably last time ever last year and it completely burned me out on wrestling despite the matches being good.  I'm hoping to catch just the best ones this year. 

Try Cagematch. Usually have a number out of ten against the better matches on each card. I'm with you, can't watch it all so found that's best way to narrow it down.

Okada is unbelievable, if you have not yet, check out his match with Kojima, just look at that damn match. The storytelling, in the build up to G1 Okada has been saying in the press that the old guard shouldn't be in it - Kojima, Nagata etc and saying he could beat Kojima in under 5 minutes. Knowing that if you watch the match it is an absolute work of art, the facials from both men, Okada going ever so slightly heel as the crowd roared Kojima on. It ended up going between 15 and 20 minutes and Okada sold it so well after, like "jesus that was harder than I imagined" whilst Kojima had the look of he gave it everything he had but just came up short.

What a tournament it's been so far, it makes me happy I watch Wrestling, nothing gets stale, if you just watch the G1 matches it's maybe 1hr 45mins and done. Everybody has a storyline, every match feels meaningful. Personal highlights for me so far are Omega/Suzuki - Omega not looking in to Suzuki's eyes for about the first 5 minutes of the match. Evil/Sanada....both have stepped up big time, particularly Evil who has been tremendous and has one of my favourite finishers going. Bad Luck Fale continuing to improve and be such a beast. Omega/Yano with their comedy match. Omega vs Elgin in a classic. The rise of Juice Robinson, what a fantastic babyface he is.

I could go on and on. Brilliant stuff.

Edited by Ambulance Chaser

On 01/08/2017 at 1:56 PM, scotty_1120 said:

personal favourites and what has been talked of

Day 1
Hirooki Goto vs. Tomohiro Ishii
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
Tetsuya Naito vs. Kota Ibushi  (MOTN)

Day 2
EVIL vs. SANADA (MOTN)
Minoru Suzuki vs. Kenny Omega

Day 3
Yuji Nagata vs. Hirooki Goto
Kota Ibushi vs. Zack Sabre Jr
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Bad Luck Fale (MOTN)
YOSHI-HASHI vs. Tetsuya Naito

Day 4
Juice Robinson vs. EVIL
Michael Elgin vs. Kazuchika Okada (MOTN)

Day 5
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Yuji Nagata
Kota Ibushi vs. Tomohiro Ishii (Match of The G1)

Day 6 (not a good show)
Juice Robinson vs. Minoru Suzuki
Toru Yano vs. Kenny Omega (Comedy)
Kazuchika Okada vs. SANADA

Day 7
Tomohiro Ishii vs. YOSHI-HASHI (MOTN)
Yuji Nagata vs. Tetsuya Naito
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Hirooki Goto

Day 8
Satoshi Kojima vs. Kazuchika Okada (MOTN)
Michael Elgin vs. Kenny Omega (Hated, personally)

Day 9
Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tetsuya Naito

Day 10
Juice Robinson vs. Kazuchika Okada

Day 11
Yuji Nagata vs. Tomohiro Ishii (MOTN)
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kota Ibushi

Day 12 (probably the worst show)
Juice Robinson vs. SANADA
EVIL vs. Kenny Omega

Edited by ultimo the great

• Paid Members
On 03/08/2017 at 9:57 PM, scotty_1120 said:

Are they still doing the outside the ring get back in on 19 spot in every single match every single night? That really annoyed me last year watching it. 

No.. there are some, and there have been 2 actual countouts this year, both of which were very good finishes.

• Paid Members

Watched Saturday's show tonight (show 14). Superb stuff. Don't want to go into the results too much but i screamed at my iPad at one, which scared the crap out of my Dad. 

Oh, and Tama Tonga vs Toru Yano was so stupendously silly I watched it again when I got to the end of the show. 

Yano is brilliant. He always comes along at the perfect time to break the intensity and hard hitting nature of these cards. My top 3 Yano moments are the hair pulling spot with Omega, tying Juice's braids to the guard rail for a 19 count and best one getting put in the paradise lock by Sanada and just being stuck up on the ramp for fucking ages and losing!!!