NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

Got round to watching Okada/Omega 2 finally, what a bloody match. Echoing everyone else's comments that it didn't feel like it went an hour - and that's with me going into it knowing that it would go that long.

It maybe leaned a little too heavily on the signature spots - I'd hate to go back and count the Rainmakers, dropkicks and V-Triggers in the second half of the match - but otherwise was absolutely superb, and probably better than their first. It's hard to say, though, as so much of it deliberately referenced, or was informed by, the first match, so it wouldn't have been as strong had the initial match not happened - in many ways, the perfect rematch. You don't rehash the original, nor do you do something entirely different, you present two wrestlers who have learned something from the last time.

I still preferred Okada/Shibata, and between that and people debating whether the first or second Omega match was better, how mad is it that we can watch that match, a definite Match of the Year candidate, and be left debating not just if it was the best match of the year, but if it was Okada's best match of the year? And it's only June!

I was worried the "Cody might throw in the towel" routine would break up the pace of the match, but it really didn't. A good lesson in being able to tell two or three stories at once, without one being at the expense of another. Surely we're moving towards Cody at least attempting to replace Kenny as leader?

The implosion of the Bullet Club seems to be imminent. A lot of signs pointing to an Omega face turn in the not too distant future. He was getting cheered as it was but having him manage to survive for a full hour against Okada will only help strengthen his image in the eyes of those Japanese fans. They love their fighting spirit stuff, and Omega was the living embodiment of that at Dominion.

The only issue I have with Cody vs Kenny is that without Omega and the Bucks, who I'd presume follow Kenny out of the faction as they seem to have enough sense to realise that a six-man career with Omega is a lot more lucrative and financially rewarding than anyone else in the Club, you don't really have anyone that could viably replace them. Omega is the top dog of the Bullet Club, with Cody in second, closely followed the the Bucks, but then who else can feasibly fill in the gap? GoD are a million times better off on their own ever since they managed to improve their work by a million times, Fale is only pushed when they need him to lose in a title match and Scurll is still being introduced to the crowd. What are you left with there? Yujiro, Page, Chase Owens. All three completely and equally unimportant. 

For weeks now my understanding was that the G1 specials were going to be shown live both nights on New Japan World for everyone outside of the United States, for those who don't have AXS TV anywhere in the world. Now I'm reading a tweet Meltzer has replied to when asked, his reply was only in Japan.

If that's true, that to me seems pretty screwy on ALL other subscribes outside the US. Fuck scrambling around for a live stream online when loyal fans who subscribe cannot view at the click of a button in a lot of cases perhaps.

Hello gents, I am hoping you can help me out here. After enjoying both of the Omega/Okada outings and being a lapsed fan of japanese wrestling I just signed up for this service. I'm loving the ease of watching this stuff, last time I did was in the tape trading days. So I thought I would start with this years best of super Jnr tourney. I have watched the first two Kōrakuen Hall shows. it waas great, but I am a bit lost. I figured its a 1 on 1 round robin win wins and loses are scored like a league. However, there are several multi man matches on the show. My questions are 1) are these matches part of the scoring process or can I skip them if i'm not particularly interested. Also, I have a hard time watching the no commentary smaller shows so basically 2)if I want to skip the bullshit, which shows should I watch.?

I really love this service and miss watching in Korakuen hall. i went there a lot and it was a wet dream. So many hot women at a wrestling show too, a few more than orpington halls if you're lucky. Thanks if anyone can help and yes its italics cause I cant spell Kōrakuen Hall and didnt know how to change this once I C &p'd

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, Cheapheat said:

Hello gents, I am hoping you can help me out here. After enjoying both of the Omega/Okada outings and being a lapsed fan of japanese wrestling I just signed up for this service. I'm loving the ease of watching this stuff, last time I did was in the tape trading days. So I thought I would start with this years best of super Jnr tourney. I have watched the first two Kōrakuen Hall shows. it waas great, but I am a bit lost. I figured its a 1 on 1 round robin win wins and loses are scored like a league. However, there are several multi man matches on the show. My questions are 1) are these matches part of the scoring process or can I skip them if i'm not particularly interested. Also, I have a hard time watching the no commentary smaller shows so basically 2)if I want to skip the bullshit, which shows should I watch.?

I really love this service and miss watching in Korakuen hall. i went there a lot and it was a wet dream. So many hot women at a wrestling show too, a few more than orpington halls if you're lucky. Thanks if anyone can help and yes its italics cause I cant spell Kōrakuen Hall and didnt know how to change this once I C &p'd

Thanks!

Multiman matches are just there to fill out the card, the wrestlers are touring so they can use the wrestlers from the other block to just add a few extra matches.

In reality no need to skip any of the BOSJ shows, just skip the non tournament matches and any matches that involve Taichi except the match against Liger. Outside of BOSJ or G1 tournament shows you should probably look at the card of the Road to shows and just hand pick matches where you have not been interested in the feud or have none. 

2 hours ago, Cheapheat said:

Thanks mate, appreciate the heads up. What's up with Taichi? Is he just shit?

Yes.  He's quite shit.

He's an average Wrestler that relies too heavily on the same tired spots.  The Japanese fans seem to have some sort of 'X-Pac Heat' for him.

Edited by Mr. Levity 84

Here are the G1 participants:

- Hiroshi Tanahashi 
- Togi Makabe
- Michael Elgin
- Kazuchika Okada 
- Hirooki Goto
- Tomohiro Ishii
- Toru Yano
- YOSHI-HASHI
- Kenny Omega
- Bad Luck Fale
- Tama Tonga
- Tetsuya Naito
- SANADA 
- Yuji Nagata
- EVIL 
- Satoshi Kojima
- Juice Robinson
- Minoru Suzuki 
- Zack Sabre Jr
- Kota Ibushi

• Paid Members

ZSJ vs Kota Ibushi has been announced as a match taking place in the tournament. Not sure if it's the first match in their block, but one to look forward to. 

Didn't Cody announce himself in the G1 a few months back? Wonder what happened there 

Edited by TheBurningRed

I wanted to watch Wrestle Kingdom 11 before watching Dominion and since my gf is into NJPW I had to wait for her to have time and be in the mood to finally catch up. In the mean time been reading wikipedia and watching youtube to get up to speed on all the various factions and storylines.

WK 11 was amazing, top to bottom a great show and superior to Wrestlemania in my mind. Omega/Okada was indeed a classic, not sure about the whole 6* thing but still a front runner for match of the year. It was interesting that I knew the card for Dominion before watching WK 11 so most the results at WK were obvious for me. However watching Dominion was the most excited I have been to watch a wrestling event since...christ 2004?

Thoughts on Dominion

- Omega/Okada 2 wasn't quite as good as the first match but still a very very good match, the ending was dramatic but I feel Omega should have won.

- I am sad Naito lost but I am hoping this is building him for a run at the title with Okada

- Felt Bullet Club were jobbed out in the 6 man gauntlet and I was ecstatic the LIJ retained here.

- Happy the GOD won the tag titles but they did it in a very heelish way which seems at odds with the way Omega acts, are Bullet Club heels or faces?

- Cody does nothing for me

- Kushida and Red Hair (Takahasi?) was great but I felt their match in the Super Juniors was a little superior, interesting running from Bushi at the end, Is he getting a push?

- Great show in all which seems to fly by and not be the 5 hours that it actually was, I tried to watch Money in the Bank after and it was like watching wrestling in slow motion, can't go back to WWE now

- I feel I am totally hooked on NJPW and haven't felt this way about wrestling since I feel in love with ECW in 1997 ( Maybe I felt this way about CZW in 2001 but I try to keep that quiet)

I may be getting ahead of myself here but me and the GF have wanted to go to Japan for so long and I was wondering if I could tie it into attending Wresle Kingdom 12, any advice on ticket prices or how to even get tickets? Cheers