NJPW World

Sphinx

1 minute ago, MVP RULZ said:

Working for me

I did find that if I clicked on the currently live yellow bar across the top it came up with an error message but then click the actual graphic for Wrestlekingdom further Down the homepage and it loaded up then

This was exactly the case for me. 

Brilliant show. Met every objective in terms of quality and they did a great job of creating storylines for the future.

Not surprised somebody got injured during Ibushi/Ospreay. Wasn't expecting anything too special given their place on the card and time allocations, but they were both really, really good. Ospreay is so smooth and Ibushi was fantastic as always. I'll have to watch back to see when Ibushi got hurt. Bit weird that Ospreay went for a Stormbreaker when Kota was clearly on another planet, mind. ****

Junior tag match was a "blink and you'll miss it" type deal. SHINGO getting the spotlight makes me very optimistic for his place within the company for 2019. He was far and away the best part of this match. Decent action whilst it lasted, but with how short it was you're never getting anything special. ** 

Ishii vs ZSJ always delivers and this was no exception, despite the obvious differences between this match and some of the main events they've had the last couple of years. They work so well together, with Sabre trying to piss of Ishii to make him more vulnerable to submissions always working a charm. Flying over Chris Roberts to referee this one match brought a smile to my face as well. Did Tanahashi ever get his win back over Sabre? Seems like a ready made first title defence if not. ****

Wasn't huge on the Heavyweight tag match, but can see why people would enjoy it. Won't miss the Bucks too much, they've pretty much done everything and faced everyone. I'd be well up for Golden Lovers making a return to the tag division after that story never really got told last year. Omega/Ibushi vs SANADA/EVIL could easily be a headliner for The New Beginning if Kenny is (hopefully) sticking around. Adding a star for Fale being at ringside. ***

Cody vs Juice was bleghhh and I won't be sad to see the back of Cody. **

KUSHIDA vs Ishimori was GREAT. This was a fantastic performance by KUSHIDA I thought. Callis on commentary was correct in saying he isn't the best in any faucet of wrestling, but he's by far the most-rounded of them all. Ishimori winning creates some fresh title defences so all good. KUSHIDA going to WWE wouldn't be the worst move in the world for him. He's literally done everything there is to do, and faced everyone there is to face thrice over, and he's very unlikely to make the transition to Heavyweight. Spending a few years in America, earning some good coin and then returning to a fresh landscape in Japan could go really well for him. *** 3/4

Okada's pants are gone :( *

On a serious note, this was another good match. Thought it was going to run a bit longer but they managed to tell a good story of Gedo being the difference-maker, whilst showcasing solid action throughout. Was very surprised to see Okada take a defeat at the Dome, to just the one Blade Runner no less, but I suppose this is where we begin his redemption arc which I presume culminates with him winning the G1 later this year. White vs Naito seems likely, as it's another featured bout for Switchblade and also gives Gedo an excuse to get the belt off of Naito for the NJC/G1. **** 1/4

Enjoyed Jericho vs Naito, but not to the level of others it seems. Certainly didn't think it was as good as his showing against Omega last year, but still solid. Can't ever say that Jericho turned up in Japan looking for an easy payday after having him take the majority of the big bumps in this match. I'm sure he'll stick around after the big reactions he was getting. Perfect fodder for somebody like Naito.  That DDT on the announce table was sick. *** 3/4

Main event was clear match of the night. Didn't overstay its welcome, didn't feature V-Trigger spamming, didn't see 200 finishers being kicked out of, but was still incredibly gripping nonetheless. Nobody does big matches better than Tanahashi, and Omega delivered easily his best title match since picking up the belt. Simply excellent stuff which had me on the edge of my seat. *****

Perhaps not the best Tokyo Dome show of recent years in terms of match quality, but certainly a brilliant show. The company feels really fresh, and with clear direction. Exciting times to be watching I think.

I'm a bit of a casual fan, and don't really know half the roster, but that was a really fun, easy watch. The opener and the main were excellent, and I really enjoyed the Jericho match as well. The only dud was the ZSJ match as tbh, he bores me tears most of the time.

I also really enjoyed Kevin Kelly and Don Callis on comms, but I can do without the (British? Australian?) dude, proper grating.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I also really enjoyed Kevin Kelly and Don Callis on comms, but I can do without the (British? Australian?) dude, proper grating.

Thought he sounded like someone off South Park.

I’m only a very casual NJPW follower, why is Okada slightly down the card?

Omega is great isn’t he?

16 minutes ago, Project Nim said:

I’m only a very casual NJPW follower, why is Okada slightly down the card?

He’s been at the top of the card for years and years, he’ll probably be main eventing Wrestle Kingdom again next year but New Japan need to build more stars and having Okada work with them lower down the card will only help.

Chris Charlton rarely says anything on commentary he’s only really there to translate.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Not seen it yet, but assume that was Chris Charlton? He can be a bit dry but he's one of the leading NJPW (and general Puro) historians having written a few books on the company, including a history of wrestling at the Tokyo Dome, so he's really knowledgeable. Takes some getting used to as a commentator though. 

I like Charlton as he’s good at chipping in with info, a modern 3rd man Mike Tenay In wcw. 

Found the show a bit strange to be honest. Didn’t feel a 4 hour show, but some matches felt rushed by new japan standards.

White Okada being around 15 mins was really strange. Didn’t expect the rainmaker get up back for this one, really seen that being held off until G1 final with him winning there to set up match with White next year. 

Ospreay and Ibushi didn’t grab me. Going to watch it back as may have just been me waking up as the show went on. 

Jericho just having crazy brawls suits him. His looks that shit it has to be part of his “deranged” character, but doenst take away from what he’s doing in ring, and good seeing some of his trademark spots in this. 

Main event was a fun match, good selling of Ribs and knee and played into the story of the match. Assume that’s Omega away with that result, as don’t see what the point of such a short reign was if it’s to the give the rub to a man who in no way needed that win

and up again early tomorrow for Dash, guess this will show where the years going. Was worth the day off, but didn’t feel as good a show overall as the last two WK’s done, and I expected more given I have been properly into the product having watched every show they have put up since last years wk

52 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

He’s been at the top of the card for years and years, he’ll probably be main eventing Wrestle Kingdom again next year but New Japan need to build more stars and having Okada work with them lower down the card will only help.

Chris Charlton rarely says anything on commentary he’s only really there to translate.

Cheers for the info much appreciated looking forward to Okadas journey to next years main event 

After watching the show this morning, I dunno, I didn’t enjoy a lot of it, most of the matches felt very rushed.

Switchblade beating Okada was a huge shock especially as Okada returned as The Rainmaker, White will be Tanahashi’s first challenger now I guess.

I enjoyed Jericho/Naito II and Ibushi/Ospreay I assume Ibushi got his concussion when he smacked himself into the ring post near the end of the match.

Cody/Juice was shit and ZSJ/Ishii wasn’t one of their better bouts.

I guess that’s Omega done with New Japan then? Maybe have his final match tomorrow at New Years Dash, if anyone wasn’t aware his entrance theme was “The Last Goodbye” from the Undertale game soundtrack.

So what happens at New Years Dash, they usually kick off the new year with a big angle at the end of the show, maybe Chaos finally separating?