NJPW World

Sphinx

Power Struggle ended up a proper mixed bag for me. Genuinely 50/50 split in regards to shit I was a fan of and shit I wasn't feeling at all.

Positives: 

Tanahashi and Switchblade having the best of their 3 matches so far. I was worried how they'd manage to get a finish where Tanahashi retains, but White still looks good going into the Tokyo Dome, and I think they managed to find that line with the finish and the post-match double whammy. When you think about how big moments they've given to White in his debut year, it shows how much faith they've got in him. Wins over Okada, Tanahashi and Omega, being the focal point of the CHAOS split, seemingly becoming the new BC leader. My favourite match of the night.

Literally anyone except Tama Tonga leading the Bullet Club. 

KUSHIDA winning the Jr Strap and heading into Wrestle Kingdom as champion, especially with some fresh matches to be made for the first time in ages with Shingo/Ishimori.

Ospreay probably taking the belt off TAICHI.

Setting up another Naito/ZSJ match so Naito can get his wins back and finally pick up some momentum heading into Tokyo Dome.

Shingo looked GREAT in his debut.

Negatives:

Didn't like the main event. Didn't want to see Kenny and Kota fighting again so soon, even if it's not within a singles capacity. Didn't like Cody getting another crack at the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. Didn't like the triple threat element. Didn't like how the booking was complete filler. Didn't like this main eventing. Didn't like Kenny pinning Ibushi for the first time in what felt like a throwaway main event. Didn't like how in your face the storytelling was. Felt like they were trying to force an epic and it didn't work.

The Bullet Club feud still being a thing. Despite winning every time, the OG lads are still pissing about with the Elite lot. Completely boring. Where else are they meant to go from this? I don't care in the slightest about this feud continuing.

Jericho/EVIL sounds like a weak headliner for Power Struggle in comparison to previous years (Tana/Ibushi especially) - even moreso knowing that this match only exists as a vacuum to get us to Naito/Jericho at the Dome.

The booking continues to be more and more like that of a WWE show. Mystery reveals, low blow angles, SWERVES. A really weird show.

Edited by AdamTH17

Came up with my predicted WK card before:

Omega/Tanahashi - Already set in stone. Omega wins before dropping the strap to Naito at Dominion after defending against Ibushi at MSG.

Okada/White - Okada wins. Easiest match on the show to predict. Meanders around for a bit before winning the G1. Switchblade goes after the IC belt or whatever.

Naito/Jericho - Naito wins and Jericho hopefully doesn't go near a belt again, though matches against Tana/Suzuki could be cool.

Ibushi/Ospreay - NEVER belt. Nothing else stands out for Ibushi and Ospreay doesn't want to be pissing around with the juniors anymore. Could have either man winning here, but if I had to pick I'd lean toward Kota.

Suzuki and Sabre vs Tag Champions - Not even sure if the tag belts can change hands before WK, but I'll say that they do, and Suzuki/Sabre play off their RevPro teaming, GoD dropping the belts also allows for...

BC Elite vs Firing Squad - Loser disbands and Fale pins all four members of BC Elite within the opening exchange. 

KUSHIDA vs Shingo - Fresh matchup. This is working under the assumption Hiromu is still fucked. Ospreay will be working the NEVER match, Marty/Ishimori in the BC tag match. Dragon Lee has been filming something for about 4 years. BUSHI is BUSHI. Maybe Shelley/Sabin double cross KUSHI at some point during Tag League? Only suggestion I can think of really.

SANADA/EVIL/BUSHI vs KES/Taichi vs Taguichi Japan vs Ishii/Yano/YOSHI - Feel like SANADA/EVIL are certainly above this. Maybe have them take the tag straps, but fuck knows who you replace them with. NEVER Six-Man pissabout.

Roppongi 3K vs Kanemaru and Despy - Roppongi 3K win the Tag League but lose to the champions on the way. Get their win and titles back on the biggest platform.

Cody defending his US Championship. Fuck knows who against. I haven't got Goto down as doing anything, so I'll say Goto.

Some cunt wins the Rumble.

19 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Anybody catch yesterday's JR tag league show? Or is anyone planning to watch the bulk of them? I wouldn't mind some recommendations to cherry pick once it's done as I can't find the time to watch all these shows.

Roppongi 3K Vs Bushi and Shingo in the main event yesterday was a fun little match. 

Have there been any candidates to replace Callis bandied about? I just saw a report that Lanny Poffo had been offered an audition, but that's got to be a piss take, right? 

Personally, I'd just stick with KK, Rocky and Chris Charlton. I really like their dynamic. 

Edited by BrodyGraham
A rogue 1.

8 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

Have there been any candidates to replace Callis bandied about? I just saw a report that Lanny Poffo had been offered an audition, but that's got to be a piss take, right? 

Personally, I'd just stick with KK, Rocky and Chris Charlton. I really like their dynamic. 

Gutted when I head Callis was gone, Rocky’s fun though so I wouldn’t mind him taking it on, Beretta took over for Rocky for the last couple of matches yesterday and was TERRIBLE.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

Yes, I love this trio. Kelly as the no-nonsense play-by-play, Rocky as the in-ring experience and occasional colour, and Chris for the translations and history lessons. It works wonderfully and any attempt to toy around with the winning formula ultimately fails.

The Tanahashi vs White match last week was a great match, but it was made even better by the commentary.

All three managed to get over the importance of White's alliance with Gedo and details of how Tanahashi's years in the business could be both a benefit and a hindrance, it was fascinating to listen to.

Kelly screaming "You son of a bitch!" when Gedo broke up a pin attempt was the icing on that cake.

• Paid Members

I think Kevin Kelly is one of the main reasons I enjoy New Japan so much. I love it when he screams something like, “JESUS!” when someone does a spectacular spot. He sounds completely authentic. The antithesis of Michael, “For the Love of Mankind” Cole.