NJPW World

Sphinx

A Block: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, Bad Luck Fale, Yoshi Hashi, Kazuchika Okada, Hangman Page, Michael Elgin, Jay White, Evil, Minoru Suzuki

B Block: Kenny Omega, Kota Ibushi, Zack Sabre Jr, Toru Yano, Tomohiro Ishii, Hirooki Goto, Tetsuya Naito, Sanada, Tama Tonga, Juice Robinson, 

Golden Lovers get at it in the G1, wow, thought they would hold that one out until a later event. I think Block B looks stronger with Omega, Naito, Ibushi, Ishii and Sabre Jr but some good matches for A when Suzuki, Tana and Okada all o against each other.

Edited by westlondonmist

• Paid Members

That B Block looks fantastic! Surprised we're getting Omega/Ibushi like this though, I thought that would be the finals or a match to be built for another time. Ah well, I'm not going to complain about that too much.

Takahashi and Desperado just had a bloody good match with some great near falls. 

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, AdamTH17 said:

Wrestle Kingdom is a bit tricky to predict at the moment. For me, there are two viable headliners in both Okada/Naito or Ibushi/Omega. I can't envision a Golden Lovers split though, so the only logical way you have those two fighting is for a championship, so Ibushi winning the G1. I don't see a way in which Kenny drops the IWGP belt and picks up the IC belt from now until Wrestle Kingdom. But at the same time, it's difficult to envision Okada/Naito not headlining with their rematch, or Okada not headlining at all. Perhaps you continue the story of Naito's downfall and leave the rematch until WK14, but yeah, it's hard to imagine Okada not headlining the show.

I can see them going the old "double main event" route to have Okada headlining but not necessarily fighting for the championship. Though what he'd be doing in that case, I don't know.

As much as there's a story in doing Okada/Omega yet again but with the roles reversed, and Okada as challenger, I'd rather those two be kept apart a while. Ibushi winning G1 and challenging Omega has potential for a really interesting, nuanced story - after all they've been through to get back together, can their relationship withstand the strain of being "forced" to face each other for the championship? By the looks of it, though, they'll more likely be squaring off in the G1 itself, though.

I think the best thing for Okada at Wrestle Kingdom this year is to have a showcase match along the lines of Omega fighting Jericho. Bring in a big name that the casual audience will recognise, for Okada to beat, to put him on that level with a fanbase that haven't been following the product thus far.

• Paid Members

Wild guesstimates : Okada loses to Tana and to Suzuki. Kenny v Kota is the last match in B Block but they go 30:00 which enables someone else to win the block. Let's say Naito if Okada ISN'T winning A Block, or somebody else if he is.

Vague as fuck, I know.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Wild guesstimates : Okada loses to Tana and to Suzuki. Kenny v Kota is the last match in B Block but they go 30:00 which enables someone else to win the block. Let's say Naito if Okada ISN'T winning A Block, or somebody else if he is.

Vague as fuck, I know.

Just out of curiosity, how would this work? I ask because it's always been a question I've had about the G1 system (sounds like a shopping channel dieting product). 

Say if Kenny and Kota both have 10 points going into their match together and it's the last match of the block, and say Naito is second with 8 points, how do they decide who wins the block if it's a draw? My contrived way out would be they base it on who has beaten the 2nd place holder, and if they have both beaten/lost to him, then they look at third place and so on. Either that or is it mathematically impossible for that situation to occur? That's probably a really dumb question and I'll face fire for that one.

• Paid Members

If the two at the top were clear of everyone else and drew..... I'm guessing overtime. Can't remember if they ever had to resolve that kind of situation.

What I'm suggesting above is that Kenny/Kota/Naito go in level, Naito wins but Kenny v Kota goes broadway so Naito wins by a single point. See Tana/Okada/Goto (LOL) in 2017.

Edited by air_raid

Right. Predictions.

Naito over Switchblade in the finals. Naito goes through following a Kenny/Kota draw at the Budokan. Switchblade beats both Okada and Tanahashi cleanly and then you go into the final with the narrative of both guys having clean wins over Omega within the last year or so. Add Fale and Tanahashi to the list of guys taking a fall from Okada as well. Naito/Okada isn't your final because that match isn't happening anywhere that isn't Wrestle Kingdom, Naito/Tanahashi is a possibility, especially given that Tana could win the block on the last day but Naito/White is a much fresher bout that we haven't seen yet. Ibushi is an outside chance but I'm struggling to envision a Wrestle Kingdom that features neither Okada nor Naito headlining. They wouldn't have Omega go over their most dominant champion unless they had faith he could headline the Tokyo Dome, so I'll say he holds it until then. Naito's got to win as well to get his momentum back, he's had a bit of a lackluster year so far. We're not getting Okada/Omega again so soon, and the logistics of New Japan's schedule makes it tricky to fit in Omega dropping the belt to Naito for Okada/Naito to headline whilst still giving Omega something meaningful.

Which gives you a top WK billing of:

Omega defending against Naito, Tanahashi vs Jericho for the IC belt, Okada avenging his defeat to Switchblade following a proper heel turn by White. 

Not a clue what you do with Ibushi, mind. Maybe have him against Jericho and slide Tanahashi down the card, but aside from that, he doesn't really fit in anywhere else.

Edited by AdamTH17

• Paid Members

I'd have Ibushi facing Jericho for the IC belt as well as Omega defending against Naito, so both Golden Lovers members are able to corner each other in big Wrestle Kingdom matches. Both Kenny and Ibushi will have the advantage of insight into how to defeat their partner's respective opponents.

I'd have Okada go up against Ishii or Zabre Jr, cementing either as an upper-carder and I'd have the big Suzuki/Tanahashi rematch after Tana defeats him in the G1.

• Paid Members

Okada goes on last at Kingdom. He either wins the G1 or potentially wins the belt back. Although realistically I think the former.

Bold predictions on G1 and where it leads.

Okada loses to Switchblade and Omega loses to Naito in first two nights. This gives Naito a shout at a title shot at King of Pro Wrestling or Power Struggle. He'll be busy avenging a different upset Destruction, maybe Juice or Ishii at Korakuen or possibly Ibushi in Osaka. Osaka hates Naito after all.

ibushi beats Zack in Ota, Switchblade beats Tana in Hokkaido, I reckon Goto beats Kenny at Korakuen.

Okada beats Tana at Budokan, Ibushi beats Kenny and wins the Block. Okada v Ibushi final because they don't want to spunk away another Okada v Naito or Okada v Omega. Okada wins.

Kenny beats someone at Destruction that beat him in the Blocks. Maybe Goto, that works for an In Your House main, yeah? Destruction is mostly people getting their wins back. Then Kenny loses the title to Naito in October or November.

Kingdom : Naito (c) v Okada, Omega v Ibushi.

EDIT - fuck, Ibushi is losing to Yano at Korakuen, isn't he.

Edited by air_raid

• 2 weeks later...