The Walking Dead Thread * US-Pace Spoilers*

FLips

• Paid Members

On a total high right now as I met Abraham, Carol and Daryl today at Walker Stalker Con. Also got to see a lot of the others in panels or at autograph sessions. I've waited around 11 years to meet Cudlitz and he was so lovely and gave me the biggest hug as I was wearing my Screaming Eagle pin from Band of Brothers.

During the Abe's Army panel someone asked what was Cudlitz's hardest episode to film and he said it's yet to be shown. Definitely looking forward to this!

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a total high right now as I met Abraham, Carol and Daryl today at Walker Stalker Con. Also got to see a lot of the others in panels or at autograph sessions. I've waited around 11 years to meet Cudlitz and he was so lovely and gave me the biggest hug as I was wearing my Screaming Eagle pin from Band of Brothers.

During the Abe's Army panel someone asked what was Cudlitz's hardest episode to film and he said it's yet to be shown. Definitely looking forward to this!

I met Michael Cudlitz through work recently, he really is polite, funny and doesn't take himself seriously at all.

• Paid Members

Abraham is probably the only interesting character at the moment and Cudlitz is fantastic. Which means they're probably going to kill him off this season. The cast definitely needs thinning some thinning out but I get the feeling they're going to off the wrong characters.

Also, for one of the biggest shows on TV you'd think they'd have it in the budget to actually get good actors for the Alexandrians. Some of them are just shocking.

I'm pleased you had a good day Monkee, there was a lot of disgruntled people on Twitter Saturday night saying it was badly organised and a lot of people with Saturday tickets didn't get to meet people (Norman Reedus in most cases) and were simply told "come back tomorrow".

Gutted I missed out on tickets. Was there any talk about it being an annual event?

• Paid Members

I'm pleased you had a good day Monkee, there was a lot of disgruntled people on Twitter Saturday night saying it was badly organised and a lot of people with Saturday tickets didn't get to meet people (Norman Reedus in most cases) and were simply told "come back tomorrow".

Gutted I missed out on tickets. Was there any talk about it being an annual event?

Yeah, it wasn't brilliantly organised in terms of queuing and I heard a lot of people were pretty pissed off with it.

I arrived around 9.30am and queued for about 45 minutes to get inside the venue. Then went straight to the panel area to queue for a seat for Abe's Army. I sat there for about half an hour during the panel then had to run off for my first photo op. As soon as that was done I had to go back and queue for my next photo op (which massively over-ran), then I managed to grab some lunch but had to eat it standing in the queue for my next photo op. Once that was done we went to see what the autograph line for Cudlitz was like - it was massive and they were already telling people not to bother queuing as there were no more tickets left (I didn't even have any idea it was being ticketed). So I ended up lying to one of the volunteers and said I'd won an autograph via Facebook and was told to just show up so they let me into the queue! Spent about an hour in that queue and then made it to the front and got an autograph and a selfie.

From leaving the car at around 9.20am until 5.30pm I'd sat down for about half an hour between 11.15 and 11.45 for a panel. I was knackered by the end of it and my feet/knees were banging. I have no idea how people with more than 3 photo ops managed, expecially if they only had a Saturday ticket. I definitely think they underestimated the organisation of the event which is surprising considering they do them all the time in the US. I also don't think Olympia was a very good venue due to the acoustics. They should have gone to the ExCeL where they could have had separate rooms with a lot more seating capacity for the panels. People also complained about the lack of things to do if you only had a GA ticket and didn't get any photo ops or couldn't afford the autographs (on average it was £30 for an autograph, £30 for a selfie or £50 for both). There was a zombie maze thing but most people said that was shite too.

I enjoyed it but maybe there are things to learn from if they do it again next year.

• Paid Members

Good episode this week. A bit of fun, humour and levity really makes a nice change from the constant dreariness and soliloquies on death and hope the show can often get in the cycle of. Plus by keeping it to a small number of characters (and mostly the good ones, eg. no Glen, priest and very little Maggie) it just seems to make things more enjoyable. The Jesus guy also seems like a bit of campy fun too so more of him will be good. Grumpy Daryl is also gold dust. Well worth a watch.

• 4 weeks later...

Me and the wife have just finished catching up, binged from season 1 through to this weeks episode in about a month.

I bloody love the show. I knew going in it was divisive and hated by a lot of people, but I don't really get it. It's about zombies, it was never going to be particularly highbrow. It's hammy, campy and yet it still manages to get you invested in the characters, so I'm happy with that. Plus, I've never watched a show that's made me go 'OH SHITTTTTTTT' quite as much.

There are times where I'd get really frustrated by the motivations/instincts of characters seemingly changing at a whim, with very little effort put into contextualising it. This seemed to peak with Sasha getting attacked by her own prisoner prior to Beth's death at the hospital.

These gripes mostly seem confined to season 4 and the first part of season 5, though.

I think the second half of season 5 up to now have been fantastic. I'm glad they added some lighter moments, too.

Even binge watching, as we did by watching the first five series on Netflix and the first half of six on Sky OnDemand, there were aspects that felt dragged out and unnecessary, like the episode where Morgan was with Eastman. That was only one episode which seemed to last forfuckingever. Or they focus on wafer thin characters that contributed very little and were then bumped off and you didn't feel anything

The Morgan/Eastman episode was great, I really enjoyed that.

And, actually, for me it was an example of them doing something well that they hadn't always; they contextualised why in this world of fucking shit and hell Morgan was refusing to kill people.

There are episodes that are slower, and sometimes even inconsequential, but I didn't feel the weight of them so much as the next ep was only moments away. The only one that I did feel was badly dragged out was the episode where they met Aaron after 40 minutes of praying for rain, then hiding from said rain.

Archived