Michael Owen Hates Films / UKFF Loves Food

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I know a load of people who don't read and would consider me a bit eccentric for the amount I do read.

My chavvy cousin came into my bedroom once years ago and asked me, "Why do you read?" Seriously. I think she's only ever read Of Mice And Men, from school.

• Moderators

From the original post, I'd say I'm not one who talks about different foods, recipes and ingredients or finds the food to be one of the pulling factors of going to another country. I'm a fussy eater at times, yet am not too fussed by the quality of the food I'm getting. So in that regard, I'm not that bothered by food either. It may be an age thing. Maybe like Alex James of Blur my 30th will be spent taking drugs and my 40th eating at a restaurant.

She may have meant a similar thing.

As for not liking books, the majority of people I know from my hometown don't read books so it's not that shocking to me. Again, maybe when they settle down they will.

Edit to attempt to make more sense.

Yeah, see I think the problem here is that you are in fact one of the idiots that the rest of us are talking about.

That is probably a little harsh. But I can't stand it when people are fussy about food, particularly when they eat total crap. But I love food, and assume anyone who thinks "food is just fuel" is a boring fuck, and I don't even care to continue a discussion with them to determine their motivations for saying such idiotic things.

I have very little interest in watching sports; I guess that is my one. I can get into a game of something if I am in a situation where I don't really have a choice but would never choose to put it on. Apart from a bit of NFL and even then I can't watch it all the time as I'd get bored, so I watch it sparingly.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I've got a friend who doesn't like films. He's 29 now, and I'm not sure he's ever watched a full film since childhood except for 8 Mile -- which came out during his mid-teens weed and Eminem phase -- and The 40 Year Old Virgin, which we took him to see and had to tell him off during because he got bored after a bit and started chatting away. Actually, we took him to Forgetting Sarah Marshall as well, but that was on holiday and he was very upset because he was away from his mom. And I think I saw a Nolan Batman film with him. So that would be four. He's never watched a film of his own accord, though, unless I've forgotten it. He's got no interest in them at all. He had no idea who Jennifer Lawrence was before The Fappening.

He happily watches three-hour marathon sessions of sitcoms, he's got no problem sticking on a DVD of The Office and watching it from start to end. Mostly, he watches Youtube debates/documentaries about religion and terrorism.

Me, I don't like sports. Any of them. I used to like football as a kid, but nothing since then. They're all so boring. I can watch goals and knockouts, but that's about it.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

On the reading subject- other than Have a Nice Day, I hadn't read a single book since I left school- which was in 2001. Unlike the idiots and Kanyes of the world I've been ashamed of this fact and have always understood how important reading is. I have tried to get into reading quite a few times over the years and have probably read the first chapter of the same few books god knows how many times.

BUT earlier this year I finally rectified this and read all of the Song of Ice and Fire books (Game of Thrones), one after another. Was quite proud of myself, especially considering they're probably not the easiest books to read and definitely aren't the shortest.

• Paid Members

On the reading subject- other than Have a Nice Day, I hadn't read a single book since I left school- which was in 2001. Unlike the idiots and Kanyes of the world I've been ashamed of this fact and have always understood how important reading is. I have tried to get into reading quite a few times over the years and have probably read the first chapter of the same few books god knows how many times.

BUT earlier this year I finally rectified this and read all of the Song of Ice and Fire books (Game of Thrones), one after another. Was quite proud of myself, especially considering they're probably not the easiest books to read and definitely aren't the shortest.

I don't believe you... you haven't lorded it over the rest of the plebs one bit.

• Paid Members

I've not read a novel for over 13 years. For some reason I can sit and be ignored for hours on end, but pick fucking book up and every bastard in the universe wants me.

Worse thing was when I sat with my wife attempting to read. 4 lines in, and you would hear that intake of breath they take before they start wittering about something that you really don't want to or need to know, followed by a "sorry, didn't realise you were reading", followed by 4 minutes of silence, followed by that intake of breath that is immediately stifled as she suddenly remembers I am trying to read a frigging book, followed by that uncomfortable silence that consists of you knowing she is dying to say something, so you can't concentrate on the fucking book anyway.

Paul Danan on Celebrity Love Island commented on Lady Isabella Harvey by saying " I like her because  we've got stuff in common, she don't like books, and neither do I!"

Should there be a comma between "books, and neither do I!?"

Serious question. Strange question as well. I know!

Edited by Ladiesman345

• Moderators

Paul Danan on Celebrity Love Island commented on Lady Isabella Harvey by saying " I like her because we've got stuff in common, she don't like books, and neither do I!"

Should there be a comma between "books, and neither do I!?"

Serious question. Strange question as well. I know!

It's called an Oxford Comma, and it's optional.

• Paid Members

I don't imagine there are many people on this forum who have watched fewer films than I have tbh. Its nothing to do with attention span or anything, as I've happily watched Der Untergang (Downfall) and Lincoln more than once, and both of those are nigh on three hours each. Its more to do that there's not a real cinema within a 40 mile radius, and I watch so much Football etc, that there's only a certain amount of hours in a day. I'll make the effort if its based on a historical event I'm interested in, or hilariously funny.

Would I say I hate films in general? No, but neither are they a priority in my life either.

Most of the people I know who like Wrestling, also tend to watch a lot of films, read comic books, collect DVD's and shy away from sport in general. My Dad taught me as even as a kid to treat lads who don't like Football or Rugby with suspicion, which was probably wrong on his part, but its difficult to fight it sometimes! 

Edited by garynysmon