Dapper Laughs

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Precisely. It's not supposed to be some Avant Garde art piece with a story, its cheap laughs designed for a 6 second platform. He may have now grown beyond that, and all fairness to him. Make the money whilst he can.

A lot of grumpy old men in this thread.

• Paid Members

You're being very literal here, and quite belligerent. Did he piss in your cereal or something? My point is and was that it's not meant to be innovative, or even have any substance to it. It started as a 6 second video clip designed to evoke a cheap laugh before you move on to the next video. Now wind it in.

• Paid Members

I will be belligerent if you tell me to "wind it in" so you can fuck right off with that for a start. How's that for belligerence?

I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread that has criticised this has plenty of things they enjoy that are not especially innovative or containing much substance, I being one of them. But you're simplifying the point being made or just completely missing it altogether, which was a fear that this could be part of or influence some kind of major movement of similarly vacuous Vine-led drivel, and also that this cannot be compared to other cultural phenomenon that were highlighted such as the rise of punk and alternative comedy because it does not have the depth that those two cultural movements had.

• Moderators

Precisely. It's not supposed to be some Avant Garde art piece with a story, its cheap laughs designed for a 6 second platform. He may have now grown beyond that, and all fairness to him. Make the money whilst he can.

A lot of grumpy old men in this thread.

I'm in my 20s and I think he's a fucking stain, wind it in.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Lots of free publicity too as he's just announced a second leg of his tour in bigger venues. Playing The Ritz in Manc! Gets people talking about him & those who'd read UsVsTh3m & comedy fans who follow Chortle wouldn't be buying a ticket anyway.

Reminds me of when the Christians tried to ban 'Jerry Springer The Opera' (minus the death threats). Just resulted in more sales, lots purely out of curiosity. I wonder how many 'click throughs' he's had just from people seeing what all the fuss is about?

• Moderators

Lots of free publicity too as he's just announced a second leg of his tour in bigger venues. Playing The Ritz in Manc! Gets people talking about him & those who'd read UsVsTh3m & comedy fans who follow Chortle wouldn't be buying a ticket anyway.

Reminds me of when the Christians tried to ban 'Jerry Springer The Opera' (minus the death threats). Just resulted in more sales, lots purely out of curiosity. I wonder how many 'click throughs' he's had just from people seeing what all the fuss is about?

Kind of. Everyone knew the Jerry Springer fuss was from nutty evangelicals, but this is more of an outright 'bad publicity' one, as people have been rooting through his stuff and finding tweets where he jokes about "pulling Chris Brown moves" on his girlfriend, taking the piss out of tramps to their face on Vine, and an exchange with his dad where they tell a woman she's too ugly to rape.

• Paid Members

I honestly don’t think this bad publicity will affect his popularity, I think it’ll do the opposite. I’m a firm believer in not trying to get things banned because I don’t agree with them (like the Cardiff NUS did here). I think Chubby Brown & Jim Davidson are pretty abhorrent so I choose not to watch them, I’m not going to picket the Crewe Lyceum to not promote their tours though. If people want to get upset about things there’s plenty of actual, real issues people could be putting their efforts towards rather than pretending something obviously said in jest was serious

I’d not heard of him filming himself abusing homeless people in person though? Seems pretty fucking dark if that's the case?

I’d read something saying that he’d raised money for homeless charities & it alluded that because he’d joked about them this meant he didn’t really support these causes.