Dapper Laughs

Devon Malcolm

Sheeeeit. I was reading that article thinking "surely the guy's methods can't be that bad" and followed hte link through to this article. Fuck me this guy makes the losers of the first wave of Pick Up Artists look positively benign by comparison.

Don't open that can of worms.  There was a thread here a few years back about how some of our esteemed members were "playas" using "tha game" or such shit.  It was only marginally less creepy than Dapper himself, and without even his hint of irony.

I think he's completely comparable to Dapper Laughs in every way.

And you can't separate the audience of the TV show from the goons calling women cunts on Twitter. They're one and the same. He came from Vine and Twitter; they, and they alone, are the viewers.

The ones calling women cunts are the sole viewers? Despite the female audience seeming to be his biggest viewership? There always has been and always will be casual sex. This is a dating show based on casual sex. I don't think we should get on our high horse too much about that. It's not flawless, but it's nowhere near as bad as that Huffington Post article from the start of this thread.

The show is supposed to be showing guys and girls how to approach people and build a rapport that could lead to dating or casual sex. He stands in the background for most of it watching them do it. He suggests they make a joke or for them to keep the conversation engaging.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a609164/dapper-laughs-on-the-pull-axed-by-itv-over-sexist-comments-storm.html#~oVfktZiAnqvSdi

Dapper laughs - On the pull has now been cancelled

ITV has confirmed that it has cancelled Dapper Laughs - On the Pull.

The comedy dating show will not return for a second series after the internet personality was accused of making sexist and misogynistic comments on both his ITV2 show and Twitter account.

ITV issued the following statement: "We have given careful thought to the recent criticism of the character Dapper Laughs, which has focused on his activities outside of the ITV2 programme, whose content was carefully considered and complied. 

"We have taken the decision that we will not be considering this show for a second series."

A petition to have the show cancelled by ITV was launched over the weekend, and attracted more than 4,000 signatures in 24 hours. It now has more than 63,000 supporters.

Earlier today, Dapper Laughs, whose real name is Daniel O'Reilly, apologised to those who were offended by his remarks. 

A live show at the Cardiff University Students' Union was also cancelled last week (November 5), after a petition was signed by 700 students who objected to Dapper Laughs trivialising "rape, unprotected sex and dehumanising of women".

Edited by spikester

As Dapper Laughs built any popularity he had before being on TV, purely through the internet - it's madness that ITV wouldn't see this coming, all they'd have had to do was scroll down his twitter feed to see something questionable.

I bet the fella must be devastated after getting his own show from doing vine videos, or he will end up trying to play up a 'too raunchy for TV' and 'underground' and manage to carry on to moderate success with the people already buying tickets and downloading his single.

• Paid Members

As Dapper Laughs built any popularity he had before being on TV, purely through the internet - it's madness that ITV wouldn't see this coming, all they'd have had to do was scroll down his twitter feed to see something questionable.

You think ITV didn't already check? I bet they did and either shrugged their shoulders and thought there was nothing bad or thought they'd take the risk anyway. This is ITV, they'd whore their own mother for ratings or revenue.

• Paid Members

Just seen a discussion amongst comedians on facebook regarding this. Apparently it got average viewing figures of 100k, compared to "The Job Lot", -400K, Plebs-700K & Celebrity Juice - 2M. The general concensus being that this wouldn't have got a 2nd series anyway. The most interesting thing being that just a couple of days ago ITV paraded him at a training course for Media Buyers along with existing advertising partners. The series might be axed but I bet they're not letting go of him in the manner that his critics would like ie. People on social media claiming his 'career's over'. My guess is they'll keep an eye on the next tour. Wait til 'I'm a celebrity....' gets peoples attention instead & then work on a new vehicle.

I might be completely wrong & just being overly cynical but I just can't see ITV letting him go only for some other production company to pick him up.