Dapper Laughs

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

Yeah, I'm not so sure I agree with you on that one Mike.

I like this policy they've got, I think a University is absolutely a perfect place to be challenging this stuff.

It's not the University getting him banned from performing, it's the elected student body stopping him from getting booked at the university because they don't want to support his act. It's not like the situation you've described at all.

• Paid Members

TBH I'd only read that the Uni had pulled his show after a petition (which is how it was reported on Chortle). If that's their existing policy then that's different & really just a bit strange that he was booked there in the first place?

Dapper Laughs' TV show isn't controversial at all really. People said he was creating a rape mindset, but the TV show isn't. I was expecting him to make a mockery of the people he had on there, but he doesn't really. He had an annoying girl on there who it was said couldn't pull. She was annoying and he didn't seem to particularly enjoy the show with her. My biggest complaint is that the shows don't lead to anything. They might get a number that doesn't lead anywhere. As trash TV goes, it's alright for half an hour.

I still don't think the TV show is instilling that mindset in them. It's pretty tame for the most part. He'll say 'the girl over there, why don't you have a chat with her?' He stays in the background whilst they talk and maybe introduces the guy/girl if they're struggling. It's more looking at giving them confidence and pointing out what might not be working for them.

There are transitions where he says shit, rude pick up lines which people might use but they're shown to not work and it's not worth getting up in arms about.

• Paid Members

But the fact the he HAS a TV show is due to the rape culture he endorses. His prick followers will see this as justification that it's just a laugh, so they can treat women the same.

Surely the reason he has a TV show is due to him being massively popular in the live forum & TV producers recognising that there's an existing fanbase. I doubt any 'rape culture' even factored in to any discussions when greenlighting the show. Just that there was a bloke with an audience that fit the channels target demographic.

Sheeeeit. I was reading that article thinking "surely the guy's methods can't be that bad" and followed hte link through to this article. Fuck me this guy makes the losers of the first wave of Pick Up Artists look positively benign by comparison.

Here he is telling people how to trick girls back to their place.

http://youtu.be/qH4OrnhLGK0

What an absolute cock. It's all reminiscent of a past poster as well.

But the fact the he HAS a TV show is due to the rape culture he endorses. His prick followers will see this as justification that it's just a laugh, so they can treat women the same.

Surely the reason he has a TV show is due to him being massively popular in the live forum & TV producers recognising that there's an existing fanbase. I doubt any 'rape culture' even factored in to any discussions when greenlighting the show. Just that there was a bloke with an audience that fit the channels target demographic.

No it didn't factor into it, and that is a total lack of responsibility. Have you seen the email floating round Twitter with the reply from ITV to a letter of complaint? They've basically said its just banter and he is respectful of women. They don't give a fuck, they want the advertising money, fair enough you may say, but it goes against public broadcast licensing rules.

• Moderators

No it didn't factor into it, and that is a total lack of responsibility. Have you seen the email floating round Twitter with the reply from ITV to a letter of complaint? They've basically said its just banter and he is respectful of women. They don't give a fuck, they want the advertising money, fair enough you may say, but it goes against public broadcast licensing rules.

So respectful, they posted this when he visited their offices.

• Paid Members

Not seen the letter but I’m in not at all surprised that ITV don’t care. Is it disrespectful of women? Yes. Yet he’s incredibly popular with women. If Jim Davidson’s audience were 50% black & all lapping up his ‘chalky’ gags I imagine there’d be less furore & it’d be much easier for his producers to defend.

Now, if we’re asking why he’s popular with girls despite being a misogynist & why they think this is acceptable then that’s an interesting conversation, although one that's much further reaching & complicated than 1 mildy successful comedy act.

• Moderators

Not seen the letter but I’m in not at all surprised that ITV don’t care. Is it disrespectful of women? Yes. Yet he’s incredibly popular with women.

So's Chris Brown. So's Sam Pepper. He's famous, young, and not physically repellent; of course he is.

It's weird anyone expects ITV2 to give a shit though. Isn't that where Keith Lemon comes from? Their head of programs is probably an actual human turd in a bow tie.

Edited by Astro Hollywood