Dapper Laughs

Devon Malcolm

Idiots need entertainment too.

I would go so far as to say that, in part, people are idiots because they watch shit like this.

You may go so far as to say it, but that doesn't make it any truer. This tit falls squarely in the realm of adult comedy and idiots are made in childhood.

• Moderators

I haven't seen very much of this LAD thankfully, but what is the reaction to it? Is this character being looked at like "what a saddo that guy is" or "he's well cool is Dapper"? Almost reminds me of Harry Enfield's Loadsamoney character. Supposed to be a "look at that twat" bit of humor but morphed into a loveable character somehow.

• Paid Members

It's a sort of even 'cool / twat' split, really.

There was a Twitter account called Crapper Laughs around a couple of months ago that was dedicated to retweeting negative tweets about him, but it suddenly disappeared. Anyone know anything about that?

I think he's seen as a character to aspire to by a lot of these younger folk. You know, they'll be slapping arses and shouting out banter to any negative reaction they receive.

I'm not buying that "not meant for us" shot neither. A reasonable and balanced person should be able to recognise when something they don't enjoy has a certain artistic merit or when it's just shit. The film Russian Ark is a fucking chore but it's technically very good. The Young Ones was all those thing the older lot looked down on it for but it said something as well.

This Dapper bloke is just shit, unless he's making some wider statement about misogyny and lad culture in which case he's worked us all!

At the very least, the fact that Miley Cyrus and Minaj are women means it's less offensive than Dapper Laughs.  I'm not saying I don't think there's a HUGE problem with the representation of women in music, but at least they're feeling empowered by their sexuality.  In this guy's case, he's using old-school mysogyny to further his career, and in that respect is not a revolution, but a throwback to the bad old days of jokes about my wife, or darkies.

• Paid Members

Rik Mayall was good at being vulger. But he was funny. Dapper Laughs is a cunt.

There was a different outcome though. Rik's vulgarity - whether he was Richard Richard or Alan B'stard - and misogynistic behaviour was always portrayed as a bad thing. Richie's funny and all, but would you want to end up like him?

The lads from Men Behaving Badly were pretty much the same.

Dapper's being presented as though his behaviour is endearing, and the success he's experiencing is showing others that being a sexist twat brings the rewards.

• Paid Members

I'll be honest, it wouldn't be that bad being B'Stard :D

The Men Behaving Badly lads also for the most times, saw some errors of their ways by the episodes end, which worked.

I'm almost completely convinced Dapper is on TV purely because it is intended to be controversial. After Coming of Age was green lit, I'm almost not surprised at shit like this cropping up.

Edited by WWFChilli

• Paid Members

Nah, he's on telly purely and simply because ITV know they'll bring in viewers for him because he has an audience. It's that simple. ITV, more so than any network (being completely driven by advertising revenue unlike the networks), have one concern when commissioning a show- will a shitload of people watch it? Quality and critical acclaim is, understandably given their revenue streams, low on their agenda.

• Paid Members

I haven't seen this show, and don't intend to. However, a while ago I did watch a YouTube compilation of Dapper Laughs' Vine clips and the way it came across to me was that the whole gimmick was a parody of the largely unfunny #LAD fad, 90% of which is parody in the first place, perpetrated almost entirely by idiots for laughs on Facebook and Twitter. In most of the clips I saw, the character would dish out lewd chat-up lines to the disgust or bemusement of the women he was trying to talk to. It didn't offend me at all, because the Dapper Laughs character was quite obviously a loser. He was the sleazy heel showing his arse. Has this changed now that it has made it to TV?

What happened there, Arch, is you got the wrong impression. When I first saw his stuff, I thought it was some parody thing as well, but it isn't. It's just shit that idiots love. The Dapper character definitely isn't portrayed or perceived as the loser by most people, even if it was originally conceived as such.

http://instagram.com/p/st394LhDOB/

He was portrayed as a loser, but then when a loser gets so many twitter followers, the girls see him as a success, and then success comes. It's how he transitions he act tha will define if it has staying power. His stuff is hit and miss to me, couldn't sit through an hour of it, but six seconds is good for a quick laugh