Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Devon Malcolm

Dapper Laughs

274 posts in this topic

He's not my thing but I thought the self depreciation in that video was pretty funny. There's bigger issues in the world than an offensive comedian. Looking back at it now, this being covered by Newsnight and him stopping in the first place was pretty silly. I was only aware he was back after seeing The Independent calling the comeback video "terrifying". Some perspective needed.

Edited by Benno

That was quite amusing as it goes!

He seemed like a nice chap who'd got well out of his depth, so perhaps he can tweak the character, drop the rape gags, actually make Dapper the butt of the jokes, and win people over.

Or not.

It was only fairly recently I realised that the word was 'deprecation' and not 'depreciation' in that context. Unless yours was a typo Benno, but mine was a genuine mistake.

Perspectives can change somewhat when you take the media out of the equation. He does need to be more self-deprecating though, which I think was the original intention before it got carried away.

He chose to end his gimmick and then brought it back meaning his word has no value. He has also chosen a subject matter that belongs in the Stone Age. So many better comedians out there who don't have to resort to his type of behaviour or can at least satirise it, which is not what he was doing. He's just realised he hasn't got the skills to do anything else so he's come back, when really he should go back under his rock.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0