Dapper Laughs

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

That's giving an awful lot of credit to the type of person that watches Keith Lemon.

Dapper Laughs might not be a "character" per se but it's definitely an exaggerated type of Essex Lad, he's the product of years of TOWIE, Made in Chelsea etc.

By harrassment I'm assuming you mean him filming people for his vines that aren't aware of what they're taking part in?

No, I mean the countless people in bars or streets who are harrassed by people who see the likes of Dapper Laughs as vindication and normalising their behaviour, or using his lines on people who want nothing to do with them, then get called a bitch, or frigid if they tell them to fuck off.
Could you not apply that to anybody on any sort of media though? Does GTA normalise killing prostitutes?
It might do to those who kill prostitutes.

The issue people had was with ITV giving a platform to this misogyny. Nobody, or at least not with any weight behind it, campaigned to have his Vine account deleted, ITV were the issue.

Your GTA analogy would be akin to Peter Sutcliffe being given a DIY show on ITV2 where he advises which hammer is best for a job.

That's up there with Youth Hosteling with Chris Eubank.

• Paid Members

Then now we're getting in to what is acceptable comedy.

And this is just double standards.  It's alright for Jo Brand et al to stand on stage and say how useless men are, how terrible we are in bed etc but if a relatively unknown says anything to the detriment of women then it's morally abhorrent?

Just because Jimmy Carr and Frankie Boyle can make up jokes about homosexuals and the terminally ill, which they themselves must have found funny if they were confident enough to deliver it to an audience, doesn't make them an inherently bad person or the person that watches it. 

Yes, Jo Brand is exactly comparable to Dapper Laughs. You're right though, I don't think I've ever seen a comedian make a joke where a woman is the butt of the joke on TV. But what about the men, won't somebody think about the men.

And this is just double standards.  It's alright for Jo Brand et al to stand on stage and say how useless men are, how terrible we are in bed etc but if a relatively unknown says anything to the detriment of women then it's morally abhorrent?

So to be clear, you're making a parallel between saying men are useless to advocating/encouraging rape?

Jo Brand's not having a negative impact on society, she's just fucking lazy, like any comic whose routine is entirely based around their minority status. See also: putting on the patois voice of an old Jamaican aunt.

That's why Stephen K Amos has such longevity, he hasn't even started on the being gay material. I'm sure he won't be part of what stumobir called a "Feminist witch hunt" any time soon.

• Paid Members

And this is just double standards. It's alright for Jo Brand et al to stand on stage and say how useless men are, how terrible we are in bed etc but if a relatively unknown says anything to the detriment of women then it's morally abhorrent?

So to be clear, you're making a parallel between saying men are useless to advocating/encouraging rape?

Yes, I'm quite clearly saying they're both the exact same. And do you seriously believe this guy, as stupid as he may be, is advocating rape or sexual assault? Or has he made a serious error in judgement and made a tasteless joke?

And it's news to me that women are a minority? She's done what other comedians do by picking a market and trying to make jokes around what they find funny.

I think the main difference between Dapper Laughs and Lemon and acts like that is that they are obviously fake characters who nobody would aspire to be like but Dapper really doesn't pull that off, especially when you take in to consideration the intellectual level of his demographic. It's a poor attempt at satire where most of his audience probably don't know what a satire is.

I don't think the debates about character even matter, some of the things like "how do you remove a girls bra, grab a knife" are nothing to do with lad culture, that's your run of the mill shock joke he probably would have done as himself anyway. ITV2 should have been the ones having the conversation we are having about the potential influence  Dapper/Dan might have on fuckwits. They may of had that conversation and decided it didn't matter, or it wasn't his/there responsabilty to care about it (they obviosuly didn't have that conversation).

Edit- It may interest some that before my episode aired they made me delete a a few tweets that were over a year old. They were about Mother Teresa. I had just finished reading The Missionary Position. So they do there homework.

I don't think his Jo Brand comparrison works, but just to play devils advocate she also said her favourite kind of man, was a dead one.

Edited by MoKonjic

• Paid Members

In comedy, women are certainly a minority. And no, it isn't because they aren't funny.

No it's because audiences, including women, don't give them the same chance as they do men. They're generalised about terribly. You book a bloke & he dies on his arse people don't assume every other male act is going to be shit. Which is exactly what they do with women.

• Paid Members

Keith Lemon , though he's evolved (mutated?) somewhat, is an obvious and deliberately anachronistic parody of the stereotypical 1970s self appointed ladies man / stud.

Dapper is a modern guy, here and now, presenting himself as someone to be related to by lads here and now.