Dapper Laughs

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

The thing is, I remain utterly unconvinced that "Dapper Laughs" is, was or was ever meant to be a character. What we saw on those terrible Vine clips was someone with a big opinion of himself who found a platform to be as crude and vile as possible, knowing there was an easily obtainable market of "lads" who like their "banter". Even the name "Dapper Laughs" is a shit name for a character - he clearly called his Vine account name that and ran with it.

To come out now and say "I'm a comedian and Dapper Laughs was just a character" is the lamest attempt to cover up your obvious wrong-doing I've ever heard. It's far easier to blame a supposed creation than say "You know what, I'm a massive twat who can't back up the way I am with any kind of reason and now I've been called out on it I'm really scared."

I'm actually stunned anybody in the media is buying this bullshit and isn't challenging him on it.

Two good points there. Hitting lad culture shows that he identified a demographic of - for want of a better word - cunts, and rather than steer clear, he decided that he'd "put vast amounts of his own cash" into a "very scientific and educated strategy" to make himself the alpha cunt. There has to be a part of Dapper Laughs within Daniel O'Reilly to want to be seen in that way that badly.

The "I'm Daniel now, in my sensible clothing" is reminiscent of Katie Price casting off the Jordan character, refusing to accept responsibility for anything reprehensible that Jordan did, because she was Katie, and it wasn't Katie that did it.

• Moderators

Yeah, I think Maitlis

made a good point when she called him out on having said that Dapper Laughs was an extension of his self.

Is it by chance that the tv show he got was a pick up artist style thing? Seems more likely that that's what he was practicing and has more in common than Julien Blanc's pathetic lot than I first realised...

I think a "pulling" show was just the natural fit for the type of character he is. I've linked to my episode below in case anyone is interested (probably not). I honestly don't see anything sinister in the show, I am open to be educated by anyone that does. It's nothing like Julien Blanc's stuff witch is genuinely sinister. I do come across as you may expect a social awkward 28 year old wrestling fan to.

Before "Dapper" he was a estate agent from Clapham, so even even without the creation of the character a lot of people would think he was a cunt anyway.

http://youtu.be/PO1n70znXGA

• Paid Members

Yeah. Julien Blanc, Dapper Laughs and Ched Evans all in a couple of days. This is the rape culture I bleat on about.

Expand it a couple more weeks and you can include Ceelo Green and the outrage over him quitting Twitter (and some minor griping about his blasé attitude about that date rape thing he did).

And then we get #Cosbymeme today.

• Moderators

I think a "pulling" show was just the natural fit for the type of character he is. I've linked to my episode below in case anyone is interested (probably not). I honestly don't see anything sinister in the show, I am open to be educated by anyone that does. It's nothing like Julien Blanc's stuff witch is genuinely sinister. I do come across as you may expect a social awkward 28 year old wrestling fan to.

Before "Dapper" he was a estate agent from Clapham, so even even without the creation of the character a lot of people would think he was a cunt anyway.

http://youtu.be/PO1n70znXGA

That episode reminded me of this

• Paid Members

I'm struggling to differentiate between Dapper Laughs shit, moderately offensive style of comedy to Keith Lemon's twice as shit, equally offensive style. Any help?

The only difference I can see between the two is that one's been round for years and has successful TV show, watched mainly by women, and the other is the media and feminists latest witch hunt.

• Paid Members

The real embarrassment is that Newsnight actually deemed this worthy of airtime.  

'Wannabe comedian offends people on his vine (that they subscribe to) and his tour (that they bought tickets for, probably after seeing his vines)"