1992 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

The Good - Other than the aforementioned Royal Rumble, my personal highlight of 1992 was how over Wrestling was in the UK. It was a fantastic time to be a fan especially, if like me, you were about 12 years of age. Wrestling was everywhere. Shops were stocked full of merchandise, newsagents had countless magazines on their shelves along with stickers and trading cards, Sky had hours of programmes and in decent slots as well (loved Saturday's with Superstars of Wrestling on in the afternoon), Wrestling went into the mainstream too (just like it had in the US in 85) with the big names becoming household names. Even your Mum would've known who Papa Shango was. Wrestlers appeared on regular TV shows and in the newspapers on the daily - and it was all positive. No piss taking, it was all given proper respect.  If you were there in '92 you'll know what I mean - just the best time ever to be a fan!  

I would have loved to have been old enough to truly appreciate this point.  I was 3 years old in 1992 (but already into wrestling), but I can still just about remember being taken into Woolworths to buy WWF figures (incredible selection), WWF bubblegum, and WWF trading cards.  Also remember getting WWF action figure-style ink-stamps in kids meals at Burger King which must have been around this time.  Just 5 years later it was mental how little WWF merch there was available, I'd go to the Metrocente and I'd be lucky to find anything besides WWF magazine and VHSs in HMV - hard times being an 8 year old fan.

I have fond memories of the 1999-2001 boom, again figures everywhere, sticker albums, CDs etc.  Go into places like Your More Store and there were tons of WWF and WCW products on the shelves.  Everyone knew the wrestlers.  I'd love to hear from those old enough to have truly experienced the 1992 UK boom and the 1999/2001 one, how did they compare?  In which era did WWF seem bigger over here?

Well, the podcast is now up and ready! I want to thank everybody for the feedback, this show was a lot of fun to do, and we get to an awful lot of your comments and talk about what you think, discussing the Royal Rumble, The Dangerous Alliance, WWF Scandals, The Kip Frey and Bill Watts Eras, Bret Hart and Ron Simmons, The Barber Shop, Summerslam in Wembley, Bad Gimmicks, Sting Vs. Vader and so much more! Check it out at this link and let us know what you think.

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/xdp2sv/SCGRadio15-TheGoodBadandUglyof1992.mp3

Archived