Night Of Champions Discussion-Spoilers etc

Callum1993

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Some people on here are absolute motherfuckers to please. I thought the show was pretty great from top to bottom, with virtually every match surpassing expectations. It's a real shame that they can't get enough heat on most of the matches before the show to get people more excited about it, but for those that did make the effort to watch it all, I don't know how you could come out of it disappointed. The conclusion to the main event wasn't entirely satisfactory, but if you actually expected a clean loss for John Cena, you're an absolute thicko. Considering they had booked themselves into a situation where a bullshit finish was the only logical option, what we got wasn't the worst thing in the world.

I am a big Cena supporter, but will agree with the criticism of his selling of the arm. Other than that, it was another great performance from both men.

Reigns missing the show was a blessing in disguise- what happened between Rollins and Ambrose was a thousand times more entertaining than any Roman Reigns match could possibly have been. Ambrose is looking like the hottest act in the world right now. Excited to see where he goes but very nervous they will fuck up his push.

Mark Henry is my hero. I was actually gutted to see him tap out, even though in my head the result had never been in doubt, my heart was behind him all the way. Proper worker. Watching the match, the thought did occur to me that they might be thinking about Kurt Angle down the road.

Jericho vs Orton was really good, I just hated the easily telegraphed finish. Considering they had worked some great false finishes into the match, that was a bit of a flat ending. Randy Orton is so good in the ring, it's a crying shame that they can't find anything interesting for him storyline-wise.

I hate Dolph Ziggler, so it really amuses me when they bury him- but as if it wasn't bad enough dropping your title back to a comedy heel Miz, having the commentators fuck off calling your match in favour of having a chat with some shit country singers has got to hurt.

Cesaro and Sheamus smacked the shit out of each other, both men looked hard coming out of that one. The US title had a far, far better night than the Intercontinental.

• Paid Members

The show was mostly good, but the only thing I really want to comment on is the commentators taking the piss out of people that paid their $54 for the show instead of getting it for $9.99 a month on The Network. For my mind, the stupidest thing I've ever seen a big wrestling company do in over 20 years of watching wrestling.

I can't believe anyone with an ounce of marketing nous or even common fucking sense was involved in the decision to have the on air mouth pieces verbally insult their paying customers for actually spending money on the product. No, you utter cretins, the reaction to that kind of shit isn't "Well, silly me, I'm much better off paying $60 for six PPVs than $54 for one, I'd better sign up for The Network." It's actually "Right, well I'm going to start downloading/torrenting the PPV instead then. Fuck you."

When was the last time you saw a company basically call their paying customers idiots? I still can't believe it.

• Paid Members

Loved seeing Jamie Noble and Mercury popping in too... I really want a modern day version of the Stooges.

Absolutely. Even better, I reckon Noble would make a fantastic version of Leo Getz within The Authority.

I'm with Supremo, I re-watched that Ambrose dive about a dozen times. I love the fact he lands like an elbow drop!

Some people on here are absolute motherfuckers to please.

Agreed.

Only saw a selection of matches, but what I saw was great. Particularly Cesaro vs. Sheamus. What a cracker! Unfortunately I had my missus talking in my ear during it, so gonna rewatch it tonight.

I am incredibly confused by people's fierce reaction to the end of the show online. Hell, even TNA made a tweet about it. Although I'd rather Lesnar won a much closer contest via pinfall, I can see why they did the DQ ending, and frankly it didn't upset me. It's not like Cena has Lesnar dead to rights or anything, there was still a bloody good chance Lesnar was going to kick out. Just my opinion. 

And in my mind there was nothing wrong with the cash in tease. To me it made sense; Rollins came in to stop Cena winning the belt, and then temptations got the better of him and he took a shot at Lesnar. I was watching transfixed... so it did the job for me.

Also a lot of people online seemed confused as to why it didn't count as a cash in, despite the fact that (a) this has happened before and (b) the announcers making it clear as DAY what was going on. 

The show was mostly good, but the only thing I really want to comment on is the commentators taking the piss out of people that paid their $54 for the show instead of getting it for $9.99 a month on The Network. For my mind, the stupidest thing I've ever seen a big wrestling company do in over 20 years of watching wrestling.

I missed that. Where did it happen roughly on the show?

Pretty good show, but so little of it mattered. I'd give Sheamus vs Cesaro the nod for best match.

The divas had a good 'un as well, far better than the AJ vs Paige singles matches. They still did the bastard superplex powerbomb spot though, where the person who did the powerbomb and simply went from standing to kneeling sold it like they'd been shot. And Lawler was a shithead on that spot as well, saying "I think AJ took the worst of that move... Probably Paige second..." FUCK OFF. Of course they did, they were the only two that got thrown, you fucking idiot! I really don't know why wrestling keeps doing that spot that way.

Rollins now feuding with Cena and Ambrose is strange. To the point where I can't picture what Reigns would be doing next month if he wasn't injured.

• Paid Members

That might be my least favourite big John Cena main event. It made sense for Lesnar to be methodical in the SummerSlam match, he was toying with him after the early F5 and all those Germans. But why here? He had numerous chances to jump on him. If it was supposed to be arrogance then they did a shit job telling the story. Then 4 AA's without a fresh Lesnar so much as attempting to wriggle out. While a near dead Cena can escape the F5. It had no flow, no story. And on a guy as big and legitimate as Lesnar, Cena's STF and punches just looked abysmal. This didn't work for me.

That German that Cena took like a horseshoe was fucking incredible though. My neck still hurts from watching it.

Loved Ambrose's return. A taxi that arrives EXACTLY when you wanted is pretty novel too! That elbow drop onto the security staff in Supremo's gif was incredible. They have to put him in a Cell next month. Biggest disappointment of your life if they don't.

Opener was very good but fuck, I hate this Stardust nonsense. Mark Henry and Lilian were incredible. Match was decent. Had no interest in anything else.

• Paid Members

Lesnar v Cena was shockingly uninspired work, particularly when compared to how flawless the other two Lesnar/Cena matches were. I loathed the finish, as it sort of made Lesnar seem like another Sports Entertainer, rather than the legit beast they've done so well portraying this year. I guess it was a way for them to keep the title on Lesnar and for Cena to not lose again, however I thought it did little for either men. Meh, at least Lesnar is still our World champion.

Sheamus v Cesaro was never going to be anything other than good, but that may be their finest effort. I liked the story they told, as it enhanced Sheamus' image as a Rocky Balboa type of fighting champion. I love a Sheamus brawl.

Everybody loves a fiery babyface and few are as skilled at it as Ambrose. Similar to Daniel Bryan, it's very easy to cheer him on and you want him to do well.

• Paid Members

Yeah, last night got me thinking how great Sandow is with anything they throw at him. They've handed him some ideas that probably would flop badly with a lesser man, but he has an ability to turn most of it into decent TV. He's a brilliant midcard act and enhances The Miz' schtick.

No, you utter cretins, the reaction to that kind of shit isn't "Well, silly me, I'm much better off paying $60 for six PPVs than $54 for one, I'd better sign up for The Network." It's actually "Right, well I'm going to start downloading/torrenting the PPV instead then. Fuck you."

Firstly, anybody who paid $55 for NOC is a cretin.

Secondly, anybody who happily pays $55 for a PPV that they could get for $9.99 obviously has no idea how to download anything. For free or otherwise.

I think it was a very reasonable comment that would probably do more good than harm, and maybe encourage some of the less tech-savvy customers to get a friend to set up their network.

Archived