Best Non-WrestleMania PPV Of All Time?

Liam O'Rourke

I was lucky enough to have the whole thing ruined for me by a guy who was temporarily at my work. I told him not to tell me anything but he let slip that CM Punk had tweeted a photo of the WWE title in his fridge. Can't stand it when people can't keep a spoiler to themselves and just avoid conversation of the topic.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I brought it up into the discussion to talk about how it was considered in the elite group of PPVs for years due to the crowd heat and Double Mask Vs. Double Hair match, and while I think saying it's a one match show is certainly giving it far too rough a ride (I enjoyed the Mysterio six man and minis matches a lot), I agree its not the best Non-Mania PPV ever, and it didn't get my vote.

+1 for TNA unbreakable the Rhino/Raven title match and the 3 way were great matches. Raven/Rhino was a fun match which should of sent Raven onto a long title run if it wasn't for Jarrett and the Spike Deal.

3 Way was brilliant and should really of been given more ground to run with going on past the PPV. But the match told a perfect story and was brilliantly paced.

New Japan, The New Beginning (Feb. 2012). 8 matches on the card. First two just eased the crowd in, but from there on virtually each contest was better (imo) than the preceeding match, with the possible exception of the last 2, which were both amazing anyway. It also heralded the streak of great ppvs / live events, which has pretty much continued to date. Some 2 years ago, I remember making what seemed at the time to be a fairly bold statement; that NJPW were knocking out some of the greatest shows in their history. With the benefit of hindsight and subsequent events proving it wasn't just a fluke, I'd stick by that.

Finally got a chance to catch it. Disagreed with a lot, but still enjoyed it. It was a fun listen.

I guess Summerslam 2002 prevailed, which is a fair enough choice on reflection. It's one of those events which tends to be (rightly) praised by all groups. It's got plenty to keep everyone happy, including maybe my fave match of the decade.

I particularly liked the talk about that match, with every word resonating because I was going through the exact same thoughts myself whilst watching it live.

Archived