Wrestling Channel Miscellany

herbie747

• Paid Members

Yeah, we had a good relationship with Matthew Ody who used to sell the TNA shows worldwide since they started. They outgrew us, and him, which was a shame but was happy for them too as we were being bought by TFN anyway, so made no odds to me.

It's funny; in January 2009 when TNA came to Dublin - after we'd been dealing with them since 2003 and gave them their first UK TV deal which lasted over 4 years - I had to get tickets for the Dublin show through Doug Williams - not TNA - Doug sorted me out. How quickly people forget... So I gave the tickets away and went to UFC, which was on the same night. Fuck them (and thanks Doug).

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. Mainly cost, and that we couldn't get tapes that had no commentary on them (well, GAEA already had none). If NOAH or NJPW had to send us tapes with no commentary tracks, it would have cost more. Plus, we were based in Dublin - how would we find 2 good commentators (or even 1) who knew enough about Japanese wrestling & were good commentators too? The studio time, the syncing, the mixing, the fees, the man hours, etc - it was cost prohibitive, especially for a show that didn't even pay for itself. Plus, in the past, bad English commentary has ruined Japanese shows - so we figured we'd tell people who they were & overlay the graphics, and then leave the rest intact.

I remember being flown in to Dublin to record the commentary for International Showdown in the TWC studios. I did the commentary with an Irish guy called Eamon D'Arcy I think. As well as the hassle for Sean (Herbie) of having to drive to the airport to collect me and then drop me off again at the end of the day, and the cost of paying for my flight, it was a long old day for me too, as I flew there and back the same day. It was a fun experience to do as a one-off but I don't think anyone would want to do that on a regular basis.

I remember us sitting in Planet Hollywood that afternoon (before I dropped you to the airport) and the new pope ordainment was all over the TVs. So I guess the date was.... *googles*... 19 April 2005 - would make sense. Adding the commentary around a month after Showdown.

Yes! I still remember you asking the rhetorical question, "Why do they always give Popes the same names? Why can't we have Pope Derek I?"

• Paid Members

Great thread, herbie.

I don't really have much to say other than I remember printing off the TWC test schedule (I guess it was a test schedule. Friendly TV thing, maybe) and showing it to a guy at college who was into wrestling and then just being totally hyped for the whole thing.

• Paid Members

Loved TWC, but I always remember this track randomly appearing quite often during commercial breaks

LOL - awesome song & band. My friend played bass for them live and his wife also sang with them (she's in the video singing the chorus).

So I threw the video on the channel.

• Paid Members

How did the Israeli show come about? I think it was one of the Sunday supercard shows you used to do. I remember at the time thinking that was a bit of a random show to put on the channel, and dont think I saw anything else from them?

Another question I was going to ask.  I remember watching this one and thinking "how on earth did TWC come across this?".  From what I remember it looked like it was taped in a nightclub with a tiny crowd and a bar at the side but was an ok show

• Paid Members

How did the Israeli show come about? I think it was one of the Sunday supercard shows you used to do. I remember at the time thinking that was a bit of a random show to put on the channel, and dont think I saw anything else from them?

Another question I was going to ask.  I remember watching this one and thinking "how on earth did TWC come across this?".  From what I remember it looked like it was taped in a nightclub with a tiny crowd and a bar at the side but was an ok show

I remember that show. I caught it whilst staying over at my grand parents house. The only thing that has stuck with me is HAWAII ALAN! Still the greatest wrestler of all time.

• Paid Members

I fell out with Bagga for a year or so over that programme. I e-mailed him & Fozzy (Andrew Maddocks) over a list of edits to make - mainly typos to fix + a picture of Tiger Emperor and he made none of them before going to print....!

We made up though, but I was really pissed.