2014 UKFF UK50 - Results Thread

Big Benny HG

• Moderators

You just don't like him. Be honest about it. The "Moveset" (a knob's term) thing was disproved, and his gimmick was discussed, just be honest and say you just don't like him. I'd respect you more for that than talking bollocks.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vote for shitarse

everyone who works for k&s wrestling.

K&s aka Keith and Sue promotions sounds promising already I went to a show in leeds and was embarrassed to be in the audience.

The so called talent on the show was s**t with stars including gareth angel who just dances to gangnam style. And he was the champ it looks like no one had any training what so ever but hey at least they had wrestling gear and longsdale boots.

Has anyone else seen this s**t

Other workers I can remember:

Some old dude

something rocker

some fat guy

My vote for uk number 1 spot shooting star kris travis.

just pure talent what else is there to say.

Not entirely sure where the aggression comes from there (perhaps posting at 4.30am and being grumpy)? I'm not the type to dislike people just for shits and giggles. I also don't give a dusty f*** whether you respect me or not. I was voicing an opinion, due to the fact I was mentioned, and thought I'd ask the question what people saw in him. It was a lovely conversation whilst it lasted, but life's to short to argue on the internet.

• Moderators

Because  you asked why people could like him, I said why, several reasons in fact, and you still wouldn't accept it. Moveset was a problem, then when pointed out it wasn't so much a problem he was working in Japan as a Junior, and then it wasn't moveset but personality. Goalposts were shifing when the reason is just "I don't like Dean Allmark", which is fine, but at least admit it.

And don't censor the word fuck, you can swear on here and swearing is what we do. Someone used to put "F'n" and it was dead annoying. You went a bit weird over "I'd have more respect for you" as well. It's just an expression, fuck.

Vote for shitarse

everyone who works for k&s wrestling.

K&s aka Keith and Sue promotions sounds promising already I went to a show in leeds and was embarrassed to be in the audience.

The so called talent on the show was s**t with stars including gareth angel who just dances to gangnam style. And he was the champ it looks like no one had any training what so ever but hey at least they had wrestling gear and longsdale boots.

Has anyone else seen this s**t

Other workers I can remember:

Some old dude

something rocker

some fat guy

My vote for uk number 1 spot shooting star kris travis.

just pure talent what else is there to say.

Whereabouts in Leeds was it? Just incase I want to either avoid it or go for the car crash spectacle.

• Paid Members

Ooooookay.

No. 32 - Mad Man Manson

Twitter:@madmanmanson
Entrance theme: ‘House of Fun’ – Madness / ‘Return of the Mack’ – Mark Morrison / ‘Maybe Tomorrow’ – Terry Bush / more...

UKFF UK50 history:
9th in 2013... 8th in 2012... 16th in 2011... 25th in 2010... 21st in 2009... 28th in 2008... 22nd in 2007.

Regular promotions during period:
Preston City Wrestling in Preston... Southside Wrestling Entertainment in Hertfordshire & East Midlands... PROGRESS Wrestling in London.

manson.jpg

Photo credit: 'Big' Rob Brazier & PROGRESS Wrestling

Took on PCW newcomer Danny Hope in dance-offs, catwalk contests, Rocky Horror Picture Show re-enactments and anything else that didn’t resemble a traditional wrestling match.  This transitioned into forming the super-daft ‘Tassel Madness’ team with Hope, perennial pains in the neck for the heel ‘Team Single’ trio of Bubblegum, T-Bone & Rampage Brown... Semi-regular team with Grado in PROGRESS was eliminated from the tag team title tournament by Project Ego, but not before the 4 men (and half the audience) had taken part in a massive building-wide conga line and an extended slow-motion sequence that had the fans playing along in appropriate fashion.  Reprised the same slow-motion spot a couple of months later in PCW with Hope and ROH stars Mike Bennett & Maria Kannellis... Defeat of Noam Dar in a PCW singles match was part of the catalyst for the young Scot’s change of attitude... Put ‘his b*lls’ on the line for a shot at Grado’s B*m Bag Championship for PROGRESS and had to give them away in a jar... Engaged in a rivalry of sorts with Flex Buffington in Southside... Part of his act in 2014 for PCW and PROGRESS has involved entering to a different bizarrely-chosen entrance theme each time....

UKFF says:
"Never gets stale, always funny. Brightens up any card he's part of"

"quite possibly the funniest guy in the uk at the moment love all his matches and youtube videos. any guy who can implement a conga line and Slo-Mo is amazing and always has different ways to make a match hilarious"

"manson is brilliant and his role, from Progress to PCW he delivers the funny however he can wrestle and has the ability to work the crowd (see his recent PCW interview and his amazing Canadian Destroyer)"

Benny says:
It has to be said that I had tired of Manson a couple of years ago, doing the same stuff almost every time, but over the last 18 months he’s really done a great job of reinvigorating himself and keeping things fresh, interesting and, most importantly, hilarious.  Some of it is just completely ridiculous, but in the unique audience of, say, PCW or PROGRESS, it works to perfection.  His constant trolling of Ligero and T-Bone during matches, promos and more never fails to raise a laugh.  The slow-motion spot has been done to death in comedy matches, but rarely is it pulled off as hilariously well as it was in the PROGRESS bout with Grado and Project Ego.  He then did virtually the exact same spot in PCW and managed to make it even funnier.  It was an absolute joy to watch Bennett and Maria having the time of their lives getting the rare opportunity to play along with something as daft as this, loving their chance to play the fools.

I also have to say that he is brilliant at capturing and addressing an audience in a non-wrestling public speaking capacity and holding together, say, a Q&A session or FanFest.  He is so incredibly good at that sort of thing that I could easily see him in a regular role as an MC or presenter, either at live events or on-screen.

• Paid Members

No. 31 - Zack Gibson

Twitter: @ZackGibson01
Entrance theme: ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ - The Adicts / 'Cochise' - Audioslave / SOME FUCKING NOISE (GPW)

UKFF UK50 history:
22nd in 2013... 30th in 2012... 45th in 2011.

FutureShock Wrestling in Manchester... Grand Pro Wrestling in Wigan... Infinite Promotions in Liverpool... New Generation Wrestling in Hull...

Gibson.jpg

Photo credit - Gordon Harris & Preston City Wrestling

Spent much of 2013 in brave pursuit of evil FutureShock Wrestling Champion Cyanide, having lost the title to the ‘Toxic Terror’ earlier in the year after just a few minutes as champ.  They rumbled in various tags and a 4-way before Gibson finally defeated the big man for the belt on the Stockport year-end show to begin a proper championship reign.  Defended the strap against Andy Wild and T-Bone, and then former champ Cyanide in a Ladder match... Just after the end of the 2014 UKFF UK50 period, lost the FutureShock title to friend and partner Jack Gallagher at the Tenth Anniversary Show, only to turn on Jack immediately after and then cost him the belt to Xander Cooper... Also defeated Cyanide for the GPW Heavyweight Title, this time in a 6-on-1 handicap elimination bout, becoming a co-champion alongside his partners in dominant heel stable The Cause.  This was in addition to the GPW British Title that Gibson already held in his own right.  Went to the final of the GPW ‘Crazy Crusier 8’ one-night tournament with wins over favourites Joey Hayes and Kris Travis, before losing to El Ligero in the final as GPW scored their first major victory in the war against The Cause.  Feuded with Ligero into 2014 before dropping the British Title to the masked man in a fantastic Los Sancho Streetfight at ‘Only The Strong Survive’... Is the hometown hero of Liverpool-based Infinite Promotions, where he has faced Dylan Roberts, Rampage Brown, Tommy End and US star Davey Richards... Advanced to the semi-finals of PROGRESS’ Natural Progression Series by defeating Will Ospreay at ‘Chapter 12’... Held the NGW Tag Team titles with Sam Bailey as ‘Team GB’ until being bested by the combination of Colossus Kennedy & Stixx in November... Won the World Catchweight Championship from Babyfaced Pitbull in Britannia Pro... Appeared on TV in a giant cheeseburger costume as part of Adam Rose’s entourage during the May WWE tapings...

UKFF says:
"The last 12 month alone has seen 'Liverpool's number one' turn into a potential for 'UK's number one', he's worked his boots of to get noticed, had some incredible matches against Davey Richards, Tommy End and CJ Banks at Infinite promotions, done an excellent job at carrying to Flag for Futureshock Wrestling, and will be a force to be reckoned with at other big UK companies in the coming years, this is only the beginning for Zack Gibson."

"A competitor I always enjoy watching. Developed tremendously over the past voting period. Great shape, growing in confidence continuously."

Benny says:
I’ve seen this guy come through from being a skinny, pleather-wearing CM Punk lookalike in FutureShock 8-man tags to become legitimately one of the very best in the entire country.  He now has the look, poise and ability that stands out.  I’m pleased he is becoming a regular in PCW and hope his handful of appearances in PROGRESS translate into more appearances in the south.  From my own live experience, the singles match with Davey Richards at Infinite and the FutureShock title win over Cyanide were both tremendous.

His GPW British Title feud with El Ligero produced some cracking contests, particularly the dramatic and emotional ‘Crazy Cruiser 8’ final and the decisive Los Sanchos Streetfight.  Similar singles matches with Ashton Smith (GPW) and Jack Gallagher (FutureShock 10th Anniversary) came after the end of the 2014 UKFF UK50 period, but are well worth going out of your way to see.  Every chance they’ll be in my top 10 British matches of the year.

• Paid Members

I'm not ashamed to admit, I didn't "get it" when it came to Gibson, I recognized that he was technically sound but he didn't really engage me the first few times I watched him wrestle. However, that match with Gallagher absolutely slayed me. Tremendous storytelling, and Gibson played his part amazingly. I really could sense his frustration at not being able to put Jack away. It was undeniably one of the best matches I've ever seen live, and as you know Benny, I've seen a hell of a lot of matches live.

I'm certainly willing to admit I was wrong with my first impression of Zack, and look forward to getting to see him rassle again.

• Paid Members

No. 30 - Josh Bodom

Twitter: @JoshBodom
Entrance theme: 'Amazing' - Kanye West

Did anyone vote him No. 1 in 2014? - Yes

UKFF UK50 history:
49th in 2012.

Revolution Pro Wrestling in the south-east... FutureShock Wrestling in Manchester... Great Bear Promotions in Cheshire...

bodom.jpg

Feuded with his brother Ryan in FutureShock Wrestling, after Ryan had betrayed him and joined Xander Cooper’s evil ‘Uprising’ stable.  Issue came to a climax on the Stockport year-end show, where Josh beat Ryan in a No Holds Barred contest to win the exclusive right to the name ‘Bodom’... Had been brought into RevPro as Mark Haskins’ fake version of El Ligero, which was revealed when unmasked during a rivalry with the real one.  Won the feud in a Falls Count Anywhere bout between the pair, coming a day after he had also defeated former TNA star Jay Lethal at the iconic York Hall... Aligned himself with Marty Scurll’s ‘Revolutionists’ stable, won the RPW British Cruiserweight Title by scoring a huge victory over international superstar Prince Devitt.  Defended against Ricochet and Joel Redman, then teamed with fellow Revolutionists to fall to the reuniting Bullet Club of Devitt and Bad Luck Fale in an impromptu bout at ‘Summer Sizzler 2014’...  After appearing on the ENDVR trainee shows, was entered into PROGRESS Wrestling’s 2014 Natural Progression Series tournament, but was eliminated by Flash Morgan Webster in the first round... Sent Sam Bailey packing from Great Bear Promotions by beating him in a ‘Loser Leaves’ stipulation bout...

UKFF says:
"He has had a very impressive 12 months in UK wrestling, a great wrestler and character. If his name is on the wrestling card, you know you will have an entertaining show. He is very popular on MoW and BoW as well as breaking the record for most votes on IndyPowerRanking. This talented tough lad has a very big future in wrestling."

"Really stepped up his game in the past 12 months, really impressive in Rev Pro, great matches with Ligero, Cole and Devitt. Definitely got a bright future ahead of him and will hopefully start to feature on more promotions this year"

"Rev Pro has unlocked his full potential, this year alone has been Josh's standout moment, getting in the ring with some of the world's finest. main eventing hot RPW shows, the guy is in his element. the future looks strong for Josh"

Benny says:
I did find it rather amusing when, even as a supposed good guy, Josh was booed out of the building at Infinite Promotions when he went up against ‘Hotstuff’ Hayes of The Models, but that was more about the ridiculous popularity of The Models act, even as heels, than Josh himself.  I must say that I do find him much better as a villain than a blue-eye, since he has a certain smugness about him that works well.  His role as Cruiserweight Champion and member of the Revolutionists in RPW has loads of potential.  I also thought the dramatic, exciting, emotional ‘Winner Gets To Be Called Bodom’ match in FutureShock was very, very good.  It was somewhat ironic that, after winning (thus causing Ryan to now go by the name ‘Hendricks’), FutureShock parted ways with Josh shortly after.

• Paid Members

No. 29 - Stixx

Twitter: @Stixx_1

Entrance theme: 'Break' - Three Days' Grace

Did anyone vote him No. 1 in 2014? - No

Southide Wrestling Entertainment in Hertforshire & the East Midlands... New Generation Wrestling in Hull... PROGRESS Wrestling in London... Leicester Championship Wrestling in Leicestershire.

Sticks.jpg

Photo credit - Tony Knox & True Grit Wrestling

Lost his Southside Heavyweight Title to Mark ‘Hotdog’ Haskins, following a dominant reign with wins over Jonny Storm, MK McKinnan, Super Crazy and Solider Ant... Falls Count Anywhere bout against then-ROH star Kevin Steen drew rave reviews... Rejoined the winning trail with victories over Will Ospreay, Bubblegum and Pete Dunne... Feuded with the ‘Screw Indy Wrestling’ faction of Haskins, Nathan Cruz & Rampage Brown in PROGRESS... Failed to beat Haskins for the NGW Title, but then joined forces with former rival Colossus to dethrone Team GB (Zack Gibson & Sam Bailey) for that promotion’s Tag Team Championship... Beat LJ Heron for the LCW Title, but failed in similar attempts to wrest the PW4U and RDW Championships from The Babyfaced Pitbull and Havok respectively...

UKFF says:

"Often under rated, and very is very versatile as a big man, working well with either big opponents and having hard hitting battles or smaller opponents where he serves as an excellent base. In fact most of Stixx's most memorable matches have come when he faced smaller opposition, as SWE champion he was very good at making challengers who you generally wouldn't believe had much of a chance to win the belt become plausible shock title winners over the course of the match"

Benny says:
I do like Stixx.  I don’t get to see a lot of him these days (since the end of XWA, really), but I’ve seen nothing to make me change the regard in which I hold him.  His PROGRESS singles contest against Nathan Cruz was a bit naff, but similar bouts with Rampage Brown and nationwide rival Mark Haskins were undeniably good.  His bout that I also caught against Rampage in Leeds for True Grit Wrestling was a strong example of how you really don’t need to do anything fancy to make for a truly fine wrestling match, as the two just went out and did the basics exceptionally well and created an thoroughly entertaining contest.  Great stuff.  Every promoter in the country should have a guy like Stixx as the cornerstone of their shows.

• Paid Members

What's the deal with "SOME FUCKING NOISE (GPW)"?

Never seen GPW, that just made me laugh :)

All members of The Cause (that's the main heel group in GPW.  Not The Corrs.  They're an Irish family pop band) come out to this track which is just a random mix of feedback and long droning notes.

Archived