2014 UKFF UK50 - Results Thread

Big Benny HG

• Paid Members

No. 22 - James Mason
Entrance theme: ‘Rockin All Over The World’ – Status Quo

Did anyone vote him No. 1 in 2014?  Yes, they did.

UKFF UK50 history:

41st in 2012... 9th in 2011... 26th in 2010... 28th in 2009... 18th in 2005.

Regular promotions during period:
All Star Wrestling (touring)... Welsh Wrestling (touring Wales)...

Mason.jpg

Photo credit: Tony Knox & All-Star Wrestling

A cornerstone of long-established nationwide touring All Star Wrestling/Superslam Wrestling show, where opponents have included former WCW star Avalanche (PN Newz), Austrian powerhouse Max Moran/Mexx, Davey Richards protégé Darren Dean, Stoke youngster Ghent Wakefield and monstrous villain Thunder... Took on various partners on the February 2014 swing to battle Gangrel & Avalanche in tag team main events... Won a one-night Gravesend ‘King of the Ring’ tournament in April in beating Robbie Dynamite, Avalanche and Dean Allmark in succession... Battled Dean Allmark in clean wrestling contests on the staple Croydon Fairfield Halls bills... Featured on the similar-styled Welsh Wrestling/Grand Slam Wrestling shows... Has also appeared on occasion for New Breed Wrestling Alliance in Banbury, Plex Wrestling in Hampshire, Kamikaze Pro in Birmingham and in IPW:UK’s British National Championship tournament...

UKFF says:

"Still one of Europe's best. Great matches against whoever he's put in there with across the country. Battles around Wales with the underrated Mean Tommy Dean were fantastic"

"What Butch says"

"king of the camps! Hardest working man in Britain. Lower down my list this year as I'm only seen him a hand full of times but he's still the man and can wrestle most people into the ground"

Benny says:
Again, since All Star no longer come anywhere near me (they’ve dropped York, Leeds, Middlesbrough etc. from their schedule), I’ve not had chance to see Mason at all this year.  I can’t imagine he’s strayed far from the ultra-consistent, reliable, super performer that he always has been, putting on flawless bouts perfectly engineered to have maximum effectiveness on the shows he works.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

No. 21 - Damian Dunne

Twitter: @damodunne87

Entrance theme:

- A Day To Remember

Did anyone vote him No. 1 in 2014? Nope.

UKFF UK50 history:

None

Regular promotions during period:

Kamikaze Pro in Birmingham... Triple-X Wrestling in Coventry... WrestleMidlands in the West Midlands... Great Bear Promotions in Cheshire...ATTACK! Wrestling in Birmingham, Cardiff & Bristol... Fight Club:Pro in Wolverhampton... Pro Wrestling Chaos in Bristol & Gloucestershire... Pro Wrestling 4U in Staffordshire... Pro Wrestling Kingdom in Birmingham.

DDunne.jpg

Photo credit: Grae Davidson & Triple-X Wrestling

Can usually be seen either facing or teaming with the likes of Flash Morgan Webster, Ryan Smile, Pete Dunne, Chris Brookes, Tyler Bate, Mark Andrews, Wild Boar, Eddie Dennis and the Hunter Brothers across the various Midlands promotions... Held onto the Kamikaze Pro Relentless Division Title against Robbie X, Darrell Allen, MK McKinnan and El Ligero, before being defeated by Robbie for the belt in March. Faced former TNA star Petey Williams for the same promotion in April, then fell to Pete Dunne on the First Anniversary Event... Won a one-night tournament over Ryan Smile, Brandon Thomas and Zack Gibson to lift the vacant WrestleMidlands Championship in March... Won the 2014 Junior Heavyweight Cup in Great Bear, defended that trophy in bouts with Tyler Bate and Joe Vega, then lost the cup in the 2014 tournament final to Tyler... Fought against the latest incarnation of the Damned Nation in Triple-X, then supported Pete Dunne in his chase of TXW Champion Eddie Dennis... Briefly won the ATTACK! 24/7 Title by defeating referee Chris Roberts(!), but lost it straight after to Mark Andrews... Recently appeared as part of Team UK in cult US indie promotion Chikara’s ‘King of Trios’ tournament, reaching the quarter-finals.

UKFF says:

"Every weekend, Damian Dunne is holding together the undercard of a show somewhere. He is the Jericho of the UK and vastly under rated"

"Damian is finally getting the recognition he deserves, in recent months his style has improved loads, his tag team work is excellent. I think we're gonna see Dunne in a lot more places next year"

"Such an exciting performer. I don't think he gets enough credit for the unique in-ring style he's developed that seems to creating interesting matches with all types of opponent"

"he's deserved this place for last 3 years. Probably the only person I'd say who's more underrated that his brother. Great tag technician but has really came into his own as the pretty boy heel"

Benny says:

Though it’s close, and plenty would say differently, for me I’d probably rank Damo as the better of the “Dunne””Brothers” right now. Triple-X matches against the Hunters with Pete were good examples of exciting, fast-paced wrestling done really well, while in singles action his stuff against Big Grizzly and Gideon were well-done big-man-versus-little-man contests. Highlight was his excellent bout with Joe Coffey, though I imagine more such showcase matches will be on offer soon as he is now legitimately accepted as a top-tier player there.

• Paid Members

This, as we know, means your Top 20 will include:

(alphabetical order)

Bubblegum

Dave Mastiff

Doug Williams

Eddie Dennis

El Ligero

Grado

Jack Jester

James Davis

Jimmy Havoc

Kris Travis

Mark Andrews

Mark Haskins

Martin Kirby

Noam Dar

Pete Dunne

Rampage Brown

Robbie X

Rob Lynch

Will Ospreay

Zack Sabre Jr.

Predictions?

So, out of interest, who is your good idea of a good story teller/baby-face?

Sorry, this was directed at indie boy.

Hi mate,

If we're talking uk guys, I'd say a guy like Danny Hope. In my opinion he's a great babyface. He can tell a great story, good talker, connects with audience, and makes you believe he has a reason for being there.

I actually agree that Danny Hope is a good babyface but he is no where the level of a James Mason, his selling alone isn't anywhere the level as it lacks consistency. That's not to say that he's not good, because he is, but like all of the HOP guys he doesn't get any further out there and learn from others and remains an unfinished article. 

• Moderators

James Mason is great. You probably saw him in TNA in 2004 as team captain of Team UK in the World X Cup. He did Michinoku Pro, beat MVP on WWE TV, has gone all around the country for about 20 years now. Top flight wrestler.

• Paid Members

I actually agree that Danny Hope is a good babyface but he is no where the level of a James Mason, his selling alone isn't anywhere the level as it lacks consistency. That's not to say that he's not good, because he is, but like all of the HOP guys he doesn't get any further out there and learn from others and remains an unfinished article. 

From the HOP reference... You don't mean Danny Chase, by any chance, not Danny Hope?

Like all the HOP guys?

Archived