2014 UKFF UK50 - Results Thread

Big Benny HG

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

No. 28 - Tyler Bate

Twitter: @Tyler_Bate

Entrance theme: 'Superman March' ("Ty-ler Bate!! Ty-ler Bate!!")

Did anyone vote him No. 1 in 2014? No.

UKFF UK50 history:

None

Regular promotions during period:
Fight Club: Pro in Wolverhampton... Triple-X Wrestling in Coventry... ATTACK! Wrestling in Cardiff/Bristol/Birmingham... Great Bear Promotions in Cheshire...Kamikaze Pro in Birmingham... Pro Wrestling Kingdom in Birmingham... Southside Wrestling Entertainment in Hertfordshire/East Midlands.

bate.jpg

Photo credit: Grae Davidson (Y2Grae Photography) & Triple-X Wrestling

Forms a regular team with Dan Moloney in Fight Club: Pro, Kamikaze Pro, Southside and HOP:E, where they frequently battle the Hunter Brothers, The Magnums, Flips n’ Forearms (Mark Andrews & Pete Dunne) and more... Wrestled Mark Andrews, Joe Coffey and Doug Williams in impressive singles outings for Triple-X Wrestling, then formed the ‘Slapdash Tag Team’ with Chris Brookes.  Relationship soured when Brookes tricked the naïve Bate out of his title shot, then exploded when Bate had enough of Brookes’ unwarranted berating, blaming and abuse, finally standing up to him when Brookes insisted that Bate shave off his “stupid moustache”... Won Great Bear’s 2014 Junior Heavyweight Cup tournament, besting Chris Brookes and Scott Maverick in a 3-way qualifier, Axel Dieter Jr. in the first round proper and finally CJ Banks and Damian Dunne in the 3-way final... Appeared as ‘Arthur Klauser-Saxon’ for ATTACK!, holding the 24/7 Title...

UKFF says:
"Really impressive in FCP, he is so impressive for someone so young and keeps getting better. Great to see him getting booked in more places"

"Tyler is so impressive, both in his freaky strength and work ethic. He will be a big star in the UK soon"

"Incredible gimmick, incredible look and loads of time to develop. Absolute prodigy"

"Scarily talented youngster with an extremely dedicated approach. It's hard to see this kid not going far"

"his strongman gimmick is incredible, his look incredible and the fact he's 17 makes him that much more impressive. He needs more national coverage IMO but I'd be very surprised if he's not snapped up by a huge company in next few years"

Benny says:
Tyler Bate... he is great.  This moustached strongman throwback is scarily good at just SEVENTEEN years of age.  It’s something I keep saying, but in a few years he’s either going to be one of the top wrestlers on the entire domestic scene... or he’ll go to university, get a proper job and forget all this silly little wrestling bollocks.  I’ve only seen him in Triple-X, where he quickly gained a cult following and fully went with and embraced the, erm, ‘Gotch-ness’.  His singles bouts there against Mandrews, Doug Williams and even Scott Grimm were all very good, but his physical wrestling test against Joe Coffey was especially excellent.  He and Chris Brookes play off each other perfectly and I’m looking forward to their feud.

• Paid Members

No. 27 - Joseph Conners

Twitter: @JosephConners

Entrance theme: 'Spread Your Wings' - Black Label Society / 'In My Blood' - Black Stone Cherry

UKFF UK50 history:

24th in 2012... 37th in 2011... 50th in 2010.

Southside Wresting Entertainment in East Midlands/Hertfordshire... House of Pain:Evolution in Nottinghamshire... Leicester Championship Wrestling in Leicestershire... New Generation Wrestling in Hull... Tidal Championship Wrestling in Yorkshire & the north-east.

Conners.jpg

Photo credit: Grae Davidson (Y2Grae Photography) & Leicester Championship Wrestling

Teamed with Paul Malen in SWE, LCW, Kamikaze Pro and NGW to form ‘The Predators’, holding both the SWE and LCW Tag Team Championships.  Faced the likes of the Hunter Brothers, the London Riots, the Bhangra Knights, Battle Squad Awesome and the Proven, and unsuccessfully challenging NGW champs Stixx & Colossus Kennedy... Feuded with Robbie X in Southside, as Robbie tried a variety of partners in order to challenge The Predators.  Eventually lost their tag straps there to Robbie & Mark Haskins, then split to start a bitter and violent war against each other.  Conners & Malen fought to double-count-outs and double-DQs in May and June respectively, setting up Malen beating Conners in a Falls Count Anywhere attraction at ‘Retribution 5’... Southside has also afforded Conners high-profile singles bouts with imports Tommaso Ciampa, Marty Jannetty and Chris Masters... Feuded with CJ Banks in HOP:E, leading to the pair starting a ‘Best of 5’ series.

UKFF says:
"had the biggest year of his career and is comfortable as both face and heel"

Benny says:
I’ve only seen Conners live once, I think, and that was on an afternoon bonus show for the re-launched FWA back in 2009 where he didn’t make much of an impression.  Obviously a lot of time has gone by since then, so from my own perspective I’m unfortunately in no position to offer any views...

• Paid Members

No. 26 - Flash Morgan Webster

Twitter: @Flash_Morgan
Entrance theme: 'In The City' - The Jam

Did anyone vote him No. 1 in 2014? No

UKFF UK50 history:

None.

ATTACK! Wrestling in Bristol/Cardiff/Birmingham... Triple-X Wresting in Coventry... Pro Wrestling Kingdom in Birmingham... Kamikaze Pro in Birmingham... Pro Wrestling Chaos in Gloucestershire & Avon... Welsh Wrestling in, you got it, Wales... Great Bear Promotions in Cheshire... Pro Wrestling 4U in Staffordshire.

Webster.jpg

Photo credit: Grae Davidson (Y2Grae Photography) & Triple-X Wrestling

Was part a long-running situation in Triple-X Wrestling where he would invade shows, cause disruption and attack wrestlers in protest at not being booked.  Was finally granted his requested match with Mark Andrews, beating ‘White Lighting’ at ‘Clusterf**k III’ to officially earn a Triple-X ‘contract’.  Has continued his campaign of terror in the promotion, beating ‘INDY~ Guy’ Kieran Young and ducking out of a scheduled handicap match against the Icons of Dominance by revealing he’d gone to WrestleMania instead of his booking, then defeating his former trainer ‘Flying’ Mike Bird who had been brought in in an attempt to teach him some respect... Regularly took on fellow Welshman Wild Boar in Welsh Wrestling, CSF and ATTACK!, the latter of which included a ‘Donkey Kong Barrel Brawl’ on a video game-themed show... After beating Pastor William Eaver on a PROGRESS Wrestling ‘ENDVR’ show, featured as part of the 2014 Natural Progression Series tournament, so far beating Josh Bodom and Pete Dunne to reach the final... Wrestled in Italy for NWE in June 2013 and for ASCA in May 2014... Has featured in tag teams entitled ‘Team DEFEND’ (various), ‘Indy 500’ (with Ryan Smile) and ‘We’re Just Good Mates’ (with Damian Dunne)... Faced Mark Andrews and Wild Boar as part of the ‘Davey Boy Smith Cup’ broadcast on Challenge TV.

UKFF says:
"Great gimmick, getting to be an awesome promo man. Highly versatile and can back it all up in the ring"

"Flash has always held his own in the ring but in the past 12 months he's developed a tremendous connection with the crowd and greatly improved his promo skills, making him a truly well-rounded performer"

Benny says:
Flash Morgan is someone that has only really appeared on my radar in the last 2 years, mainly due to his excellent red-hot angle in Triple-X which has made him the most passionately hated man in the promotion’s history.  He pulls of the absolute f***ing d**khead role there with such perfection that has been engrained on me to the point I was unable to see him any other way when cast as a good guy in PROGRESS.  He’s quite clearly a very talented and able performer who is on the rise.  Like Tyler Bate, he’s not the tallest guy, but never has there been a time in wrestling as now where that is less relevant.

• Paid Members

No. 25 - T-Bone

Twitter: Tyson T-Bone don't Tweet...

Entrance theme: ‘Fucking in the Bushes’ – Oasis

Did anyone vote him No. 1 in 2014? No

UKFF UK50 history:

18th in 2013... 46th in 2012... 21st in 2011... 31st in 2010.

Preston City Wrestling in Preston... FutureShock Wrestling in Manchester... Grand Pro Wrestling in Wigan... Infinite Promotions in Liverpool... Southside Wrestling Entertainment in East Midlands & Hertfordshire... House of Pain:Evolution in Nottinghamshire... All Star Wrestling (touring nationwide).

tbone.jpg

Photo credit: Gordon Harris & Preston City Wrestling

Is one-third of ‘Team Single’ with Bubblegum and Rampage Brown in PCW, where he and Rampage have reigned as Tag Team Champions since victory over the STEINER BROTHERS in May 2013.  Saw off championship challenges from Dave Mastiff & Cyanide, Davey Richards & Michael Elgin, Project Lucha (Martin Kirby & El Ligero), DNA (Dean Allmark & Robbie Dynamite), AJ Styles & Lionheart, Tassle Madness (Danny Hope & Mad Man Manson), Battle Squad Awesome (Danny Chase & Dave Andrews), Paul London & Brian Kendrick, reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly) and Legion of BOOM (Chris Masters & Dave Rayne)... He & Rampage have also combined with Bubblegum and Joey Hayes to battle Mad Man Manson and various other PCW babyfaces in multiple 6- and 8-man tags... Arrived in GPW with a storyline that saw him take exception to S**y Kev hitting on his girlfriend Lana in the front row during his matches.  Lana eventually had enough of T-Bone’s abusive ways, sent him packing and hooked up with Kev.  When Lana & Kev announced their wedding (wrestling wedding~!), T-Bone came out at the opportune moment to challenge Kev for the British Title shot (that GPW had given him as a wedding present), then subsequently beat Kev when Lana turned again and rejoined T-Bone...

Can usually be found around the main event scene of FutureShock, battling the likes of Zack Gibson and Jack Gallagher.  Advanced to the semi-finals of the 2013 FutureShock Trophy tournament but was eliminated by regular opponent Joe Vega... As a GOOD GUY in Infinite Promotions, fought Dylan Roberts and Sam Bailey, and challenged CJ Banks for the title... Briefly held ATTACK! Wrestling’s 24/7 title, and has recently become Target Wrestling champion in Carlisle.

UKFF says:

"What he doesn’t have in technical ability he more than makes up for in brawling, smash mouth style and aura"

"hugely underated for what he brings to a show"

"What's stood out for me this year is his Team Single work, he's very physically imposing on his own, but with TWO physically imposing beasts it's twice as good"

Benny says:
The improvement this guy has made to every aspect since I first saw him as “The King of the Caravans” back in about 2008 is remarkable.  There is no doubt in my mind that he is genuinely one of the best on the circuit right now.  He’s extremely capable in whatever role he is given, playing the pantomime baddie on family-friendly shows, the aggressive, edgy heat magnet on more ‘adult’ events, the straight-man against comedy opponents, and more.  Though their unit is exclusive to PCW, he and Rampage are legitimately one of the very top tag acts in the entire country and their dominant reign has elevated them from thrown-together singles performers to a credible headline act.  Everyone keeps thinking the split is coming (as Rampage is becoming a singles babyface main eventer in more and more places), but there’s been absolutely no hint in that direction and I’m glad – there is plenty of mileage left in them as a team and there is no point rushing through a split and a feud for the sake of it.

• Paid Members

No. 24 - Joe Coffey
Twitter: @Joe_Coffey

UKFF UK50 history:
38th in 2013.

Insane Championship Wrestling in Glasgow (and touring)... Scottish Wrestling Alliance in Lanarkshire/Ayrshire... British Championship Wrestling in Lanarkshire/Ayrshire... Pro Wrestling Elite in Ayr... Premier British Wrestling (touring Scotland)...

Coffey.jpg

Photo credit: David J Wilson & Insane Championship Wrestling

Established in Scotland as a singles star and also a top tag team with brother Mark... Lost his SWA Laird of the Ring title to Jackie Polo, but rebounded to win the annual ‘Battlezone’ 30-man rumble that October.  Coffey went on to defeat Mikey Whiplash in the steel cage match main event of ‘Clan Wars’ to become the Scottish Heavyweight Champion... Feuded with ‘Darkside’ James Scott in ICW, with the pair trading wins in November and December then Coffey beating Darkside in a highly-regarded Iron Man match at the ‘Square Go!’ event.  The warring duo both failed to beat ICW Champion Jack Jester in an Edinburgh three-way, then fought to a time-limit draw back in Glasgow... In tag team action, the Coffey Brothers have battled Fight Club, Britain’s Most Wanted, the London Riots, the New Age Kliq and others, as well as challenging Just Uz (BT Gunn & Stevie Xavier) for the tag team titles in both PBW and BCW... Elsewhere in Scotland, also featured for W3L (where he and Mark won the tag team titles), WrestleZone and border-hopping Target Wrestling... Appeared in England IPW:UK (Kent), HXC (Manchester), Triple-X Wrestling (Coventry) and Kamikaze Pro (Birmingham), as well as in France for ABC...

UKFF says:
"hugely intense guy who makes everything he does seem legitimate"

"Has a ton of potential and with some more bookings outside of Scotland he should be moving up this list over the enxt couple of years"

"An absolute beast. Really well-rounded wrestler who looks the biz and puts on high quality matches, what more could you ask for?"

"Only a matter of time before he's on television. Total star quality and can fucking GO"

Benny says:
I only got to see Coffey twice live during this eligibility period, which was in his two Triple-X appearances.  I’d previously seen him once before in PCW, where he left absolutely no impression whatsoever, but have to say he looked really, really good in Triple-X.  His great matches with Tyler Bate in November and Damian Dunne in April were physical, intense and exciting, making him someone I’d like to see more of.  I did also check out his much-praised Iron Man match with Darkside/James Scott on ICW’s YouTube show.  I’m assuming that one lost something in the translation to the screen...

• Paid Members

No. 23 - Kay Lee Ray

Twitter: @Kay_Lee_Ray

Entrance theme: 'Light Up The Background' - The LaFontaines

Did anyone vote her No.1 in 2014? No.

UKFF UK50 history:

32nd in 2013.

Insane Championship Wrestling & Fierce Females in Glasgow (& touring)... Southside Wrestling Entertainment in Hertfordshire & East Midlands... Premier British Wrestling in Scotland... Pro Wrestling Elite in Ayr... Tidal Championship Wrestling in Yorkshire & North-East England.

kayleerae.jpg

Photo credit: David J Wilson & Fierce Females

As regular mixed-tag team partner of El Ligero, moved into a feud with evil Martin Kirby in Southside Wrestling Entertainment when the long-running rivalry between the two men reached its conclusion.  After multiple attempts, finally wrested the Speed King Championship from Kirby in their insane score-settling No Disqualification match in August 2014. Has since defended that title over the course of October’s SWE vs. CZW weekend before being dethroned by Will Ospreay at the ‘4th Anniversary Show’... Similarly fought male opponents in BCW, PBW and Kamikaze Pro... Took up the role of Stevie Boy’s regular tag team partner in ICW when his usual cohort Davey Boy went down to long-term injury... Held onto the Fierce Females/ICW Scottish Women’s Championship over career rival Carmel Jacob, Viper, Amazing Kong and Sammi Jayne... Toured the US with AIW and all-female groups SHIMMER and SHINE, battling the likes of Jessica Havok, Kimber Lee, Nevaeh (that’s ‘Heaven’ spelled backwards), Kellie Skater and Veda Scott...

UKFF says:
"KLR was dragged into the Kirby and Ligero feud in Southisde, seemingly initially as a pawn in their mind games but eventually became a main player in the feud after Kirby saw off Ligs. The storytelling between Kirby and KLR has been incredible, KLR is mega over with the Nottingham fans for her ability to legitimately hang with the men. Her Speed King final match with Kirby at Speed King was upto that point the best match of her career"

"The best female worker in the UK. And better than most of the men"

"I've seen her a couple of times this year. The time I'm going to focus on though is the Speed King final. When it got down to Kay Lee vs Martin Kirby I was a little disappointed but boy did she prove me wrong. By the time the match finished I'd forgot it was male vs female and was cheering her on like the rest of the room. She was outstanding"

"KLR is a revelation - tough as nails and exciting to watch. Speedking was a stand out moment, along with her work in ICW:FF (now just FF)"

Benny says:
Since she no longer works for PCW, I can’t recall seeing Kay Lee Ray live at all during this year’s eligibility period.  I have always seen her as someone who could work male vs. female matches in a really logical way that didn’t stretch the bounds of believability (well, as much as you can in pro wrestling).  I do also have a borrowed copy of Southside's 2014 'Speed King' DVD sitting right here that I'm hoping to check out in the next few days, so may well add further comment for her (and Joseph Conners) then...

Archived