UFC 178: Johnson vs Cariaso

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

See, I can't do that. As cold as I am on Mouse vs Cariaso, after watching all these fights I'll be buzzing and there's no way I'm getting to sleep. So I might as well stick around. It's still one of the most skilled fighters in the sport doing his thing.

Mouse is very talented. I just do not care about him unless he fights Dodson again, or if the Flyweight class discover their version of McGregor or Sonnen.

Pride used to put stuff on last that was dire (or at least dire compared to what came before it), but at least the spectacle was there. Mighty Mouse fights have no atmosphere or intrigue, despite him being a technical marvel. As much as I grandstand, I will probably watch the first round to see if Mouse wins early. If it is a prolonged domination. then it will be bedtime for me. 

Despite my lack of knowledge about women's MMA, and my dislike for Kennedy, I am still interested in the rest of the Main Card though. So overall, I am looking forward to this greatly. 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah for quality, it's the deepest card they've done in years. I can't remember the last one quite as good top-to-bottom. Even 168 was all about the three big fights. This doesn't have any one fight as big as Weidman vs Silva 2 or Rousey vs Tate 2, but it's far superior as a complete card. If it still had Jones vs Cormier it would actually rival UFC 100 for me. It would be the complete package then.

That one-two punch of McGregor vs Poirier then Cerrone vs Alvarez back-to-back, I'm not sure my heart will survive that. So I might die and miss the main event anyway.

Cerrone vs Alvarez I'm not sure on. Like a few on here, I'm favouring Alvarez, but I'm really unsure. If they'd fought a year ago when Cerrone was in one of his slumps, I'd be picking Alvarez with confidence. But Cerrone's had a blinding year. With his inconsistency that could mean he's due a loss, or maybe he'll roll on with this streak a bit longer. I think Alvarez has more skills slightly. And he's shown in the Chandler, Hansen and Kawajiri fights that he's more than capable of coming through adversity to pull off wins. That's one knock on Cerrone. If he builds momentum early he usually looks like a beast, but sometimes he goes into his shell if it's not going well. He came back from rough starts against Barboza and Miller this year though, so maybe he's turned the corner.

Fascinating fight and I can't fathom it being anything but an action packed one. I'm hoping for an Alvarez win, and I'm kind of thinking he probably will win. But Cerrone's lankiness and reach could give him problems maybe. I don't really recall Alvarez fighting many lanky opponents. Hansen was probably closest in frame to Cerrone.

Still can't believe we're only days away from finally seeing Eddie Alvarez in the UFC. It'll be weird even seeing him in the old 'Face the Pain' opening montage.

Fascinating fight and I can't fathom it being anything but an action packed one. I'm hoping for an Alvarez win, and I'm kind of thinking he probably will win. But Cerrone's lankiness and reach could give him problems maybe. I don't really recall Alvarez fighting many lanky opponents. Hansen was probably closest in frame to Cerrone.

Still can't believe we're only days away from finally seeing Eddie Alvarez in the UFC. It'll be weird even seeing him in the old 'Face the Pain' opening montage.

Way to ruin a good post, with the last 5 words Wand. Does anyone need reminding of that shower of shite?

• Paid Members

I love how you left off the "main event" Supremo haha. Good stuff.

Well, I just want to start off stating that I actually now find Mighty Mouse more irritating than Benson Henderson. In fact, he's a little nugget version of Henderson, even down to his voice being near identical. Then there's his beyond annoying spaz out signature intro/move he does. I just want to tug on my balls hard just to numb the annoyance.

So excited for this card apart from the above anyway. As Wand put it, this for me would be up there with UFC 100 if the Jones/Cormier fight had gone ahead, and in fact from a personal perspective surpassed it due to how invested I was in the actual fighters.

I will be bricking it come Mcgregor's fight and I truly hope that if Mcgregor is as special as I believe he is, he will, and to quote the great man, "take his head clean off".

I still can't believe we are getting to see Cerone vs Alvarez as well. Again, I hope to see Cerrone get his ass handed to him as he's just a nasty piece of work.

Looking forward to Cruz returning, can't wait for Romero to ragdoll Kennedy and I'm looking forward to Zingano's return too. Will this lay off for her prove costly?

• Paid Members

As well as the Countdown, give this a look;

UFC 178: Inside The Octagon;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=wwYjwrjTB0s

Dan Hardy and John Gooden analyse the top fights at UFC 178. It's good stuff. I don't know if anyone bothered with the last one for the Dillashaw vs Barao rematch that never was, but I really like these and I hope they become a regular thing. I'd recommend watching this.

Where are Don Frye's 'Predator's Predictions' lately as well?

• Paid Members

I reckon the Poirier/McGregor fight will go the same way as the Condit/Hardy one. Not in the KO finish, but in the same way that nearly everyone was bypassing Condit thinking Hardy was going to get the easy win, people are doing the same with Poirier here.

Whilst I personally think Conor will win, I don't think anyone is looking past Poirier.

Poirier is a elite level fighter and it really could go either way.

• Paid Members

I think the poll probably reflects some people voting who they want to win more than a confident pick of who they think will win. Understandable in a fight this difficult to call. I was the same with Hunt vs Nelson. I really was about 50/50 so I just went with who I wanted to win, which was Hunt.

I think there's a bit of that here as well. A lot of people are probably 50/50 on McGregor vs Poirier so they're just picking their favourite. It's definitely a much trickier fight than the current 12-2 to McGregor in the poll suggests though.

Like I said, I've gone Poirier by sub. But I'm hoping McGregor will wipe the floor with him. It's certainly not a fight that I'd think is a lock either way though. Or one that McGregor can't possibly look spectacular in. I've always thought that it'll be the wrestlers McGregor really struggles most with. Someone like Mendes or Bermudez. Poirier has at least shown vulnerability on the feet and although his BJJ is good, he's not a takedown machine. It's really, really hard to predict which way this fight will go. I'm going on nothing more than a gut feeling really in picking Poirier.

Who are you picking? Cerrone or Alvarez?

I'm leaning towards Alvarez because he is the better overall fighter and because Cerrone doesn't always fight smart. I think this has a good chance of being very close, much closer than some might think, and I would not be shocked to see someone take it via split decision.

Will McGregor pass his toughest test yet?

If you mean will McGregor win, I don't think he will.I think Poirier is too dangerous with submissions and whilst McGregor has been training with Gunner Nelson, what McGregor has learned has yet to be tested and so there is no way to know right now just how good McGregor's submission defence really is; until we see it in action, anything said about McGregor's submission defence is pure speculation. If you mean will McGregor make a fight of it, I think he will. I don't think he'll win, but I think McGregor puts up a fight before losing.

Will McGregor make mushy peas out of Pea Head?

No. Poirier is the real deal and McGregor, I don't think, is good enough to make mushy peas out of any of the top fighters at 145lbs.

What do you expect from Cruz after three years out?

Three years out can take a lot out of any fighter; I'd be surprised if Cruz looks good against Mizugaki. If Cruz looks good, and somehow wins, I'd have no hesitation in giving him the next shot at Dillashaw

How do you see Zingano vs Nunes and Kennedy vs Romero playing out?

Zingano should beat Nunes but after a year off and the kind of physical and mental punishment she's taken, I wouldn't be too shocked of Nunes won.I think Kennedy vs. Romero will be a ground battle but I'm thinking a punch or kick out of nowhere ends it.

Do you give a fuck about the main event? Do you give Cariaso a Tip Top's chance in hell of pulling the upset?

No on both.

How much will you cry during the main event, knowing it should've been Jones and Cormier in there instead?

None, because the fight, in theory, is still going to happen.

• Paid Members

Jones vs Cormier is still going to happen (I hope) but it's still going to cross my mind, when Mighty Mouse is bouncing around for 25 minutes as people start filing out of the arena, that if not for Overeem's clumsiness we'd most likely be seeing Jones vs Cormier right now.

You've said a lot of what I'm thinking about McGregor vs Poirier. I just can't shake the shit feeling that Poirier is going to catch him. But I'm holding out hope. It's not like Poirier hasn't been cracked before. Akira Corassani wobbled him a few times and I'd say McGregor has better striking than Akira. Plus McGregor's a southpaw which I'm not sure Poirier's dealt with before, maybe that could be a bit of a factor. I could definitely see McGregor hurting Poirier and putting him away. I don't see this as a big a hill to climb as say a Clay Guida or Dennis Bermudez would be. Someone who could likely just choose to just outwrestle him if they want. I can see a scenario where McGregor gets off to a strong start and Poirier gets taken out or just outstruck for 15 minutes. But if it winds up on the ground, I think Poirier is probably crafty enough to sneak a submission in. He's got a solid D'Arce choke from what I remember, maybe that.

• Paid Members

Spike TV are airing a Eddie Alvarez special on Saturday night to counter-program UFC 178. It's going to feature the two fights with Michael Chandler.

Bit of an odd move really. Couldn't that end up having the opposite effect and convincing more people to order 178? Spike deeming these two fights awesome enough to re-air them surely tells people that this Eddie Alvarez is someone special. So why would they watch recorded fights when they can see his debut on the big stage live?

Well, I just want to start off stating that I actually now find Mighty Mouse more irritating than Benson Henderson. In fact, he's a little nugget version of Henderson, even down to his voice being near identical. Then there's his beyond annoying spaz out signature intro/move he does. I just want to tug on my balls hard just to numb the annoyance.

I don''t even find anything Mouse says or does annoying. I could not recall anything he has ever said, and I could not recognize his voice from anyone else in MMA.

At least Dodson provoke an opinion from me. (he is annoying, but I enjoy watching him fight)

Mouse I am just indifferent to. It is better to love to hate a fighter (hello Matt Hughes), than to simply not care about them (Mouse)

Bendo is sort of a greyarea with me. He never convinced me he was a worthy Champion (too many questionable judges calls), but he never beat anyone whom I really support. Then Pettis (who I adore), beat him, so he is out of my hair (at least for now).

Bendo is bloody annoying, but he never interfered with my own personal viewing (if that makes sense)

Archived